Curriculum for the new school year.

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By jhmomofmany

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 16th, 2013, 06:03 AM
Regular
I've been debating on using a new curriculum this year. I've mainly used Seton Home Study books over the last 4 years. I'm also considering using a homeschool accredited program. My older daughter will be in 7th grade, so I feel that we need a consistent program that we can use through high school.

I need suggestions for a good 7th grade and higher curriculum, or maybe a couple of websites that compare curriculum.
April 16th, 2013, 11:57 AM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
Hi, welcome! Seton is an accredited school, is there a reason you want to change?

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

April 16th, 2013, 03:15 PM
therevslady's Avatar Built for Birth
Seton is on my radar to use when my kids start middle school. Seems like one of the better options.

April 16th, 2013, 04:16 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
I've never really looked at Seton because it's Catholic, so I can't comment on that one.

Why do you want accredited, though?

Abeka has a good program. I don't know if Calvert is accredited or not. Others? Thinking.....
April 17th, 2013, 07:01 AM
Regular
This is my first year of homeschooling that I didn't enroll in Seton's program. The program had a lot of work and requirements, but I loved their books. I'm mainly interested in finding other programs, so I can research them and make a good decision on Emelie's future. Seton is a good program and after researching other programs I might return to Seton. Seton is located only 1/3 of a mile from my home, so I've been able to sit in the book room and look through all the books in the 7th, 8th, and high school program. I know that I won't have this available to me when I research the other programs.

Abeka is a program that was used at the private school the girls attending last year. I found that Abeka is over a year behind Seton, and Emelie progressed very little over that year in school. She was homeschooled from 2nd to 4th grade with Seton. Seton is extremely advanced and that is why I didn't re-enroll the girls in the program this year, I was worried that Emelie would struggle due to missing a year of the program. I've spent this year trying to get her back to the Seton standards by using their books.

I know that there are more good programs and that is why I feel that I need to research more programs. I basically live in a community that uses Seton because it is part of our community. I prefer Catholic programs, but I'm open to looking at all programs.

Thank-you you for the insight on Seton, It is good to see that others outside of my area have good thoughts about the program.

I really regret putting the girls in the private school last year.
April 17th, 2013, 07:02 AM
Regular
This is my first year of homeschooling that I didn't enroll in Seton's program. The program had a lot of work and requirements, but I loved their books. I'm mainly interested in finding other programs, so I can research them and make a good decision on Emelie's future. Seton is a good program and after researching other programs I might return to Seton. Seton is located only 1/3 of a mile from my home, so I've been able to sit in the book room and look through all the books in the 7th, 8th, and high school program. I know that I won't have this available to me when I research the other programs.

Abeka is a program that was used at the private school the girls attending last year. I found that Abeka is over a year behind Seton, and Emelie progressed very little over that year in school. She was homeschooled from 2nd to 4th grade with Seton. Seton is extremely advanced and that is why I didn't re-enroll the girls in the program this year, I was worried that Emelie would struggle due to missing a year of the program. I've spent this year trying to get her back to the Seton standards by using their books.

I know that there are more good programs and that is why I feel that I need to research more programs. I basically live in a community that uses Seton because it is part of our community. I prefer Catholic programs, but I'm open to looking at all programs.

Thank-you you for the insight on Seton, It is good to see that others outside of my area have good thoughts about the program.

I really regret putting the girls in the private school last year.
April 17th, 2013, 01:45 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Around here the 12-k program is highly used. From what I understand its like public school at home. I believe you get a state diploma in the end.

April 18th, 2013, 01:49 PM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
I see.

If you want to compare other Catholic programs, try: Mother of Divine Grace School (classical approach) or Our Lady of Victory. Those are the only providers I know of that use Catholic materials and offer accredited enrollment. If you do enough googling you might find more. If you go with a non-Catholic provider you might find it necessary to use supplementary materials for history and science, and obviously for Bible and religion classes.
therevslady and ultrarun71 like this.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

April 20th, 2013, 12:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrarun71 View Post
I've been debating on using a new curriculum this year. I've mainly used Seton Home Study books over the last 4 years. I'm also considering using a homeschool accredited program. My older daughter will be in 7th grade, so I feel that we need a consistent program that we can use through high school.

I need suggestions for a good 7th grade and higher curriculum, or maybe a couple of websites that compare curriculum.
Since I'm never happy with an entire set curriculum, I prefer to piece things together myself. My ds will also be in 7th grade in the fall and we're using:

Art of Problem Solving PreAlgebra
Lightning Literature 7
Sequential Spelling 2 (to help with ds's dyslexia)
Wordly Wise 7 (vocabulary)
Killgallon Grammar & Sentence Composing (writing)
K12 Human Odyssey 1 & 2 (world history)
Apologia General Science
Kid Coder & Teen Coder Visual Basic, Web, C#, & Java (technology)

I did a ton of research and have a written out idea as to what we'll be using through high school, as well. One site i like for review and comparison is http://cathyduffyreviews.com/

Dd(19) Internship in Manhattan
Dd(16) Junior dance major at the "Fame" high school
Ds(12) 6th Grade relaxed eclectic homeschooler
April 29th, 2013, 12:26 PM
Regular
I've been researching and I'm interested in Mother of Divine Grace and Fisher More Academy. As one friend pointed out to me, "We have so many choices when it comes to homeschool curriculum, but very few choices that we would actually use". That is exactly how I feel at the moment.

Thank-you for all the suggestions. I'm going to attend the IHM Conference in Cleveland in June, so hopefully I'll discover a few more programs.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search