im a teen mommy still in hs

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 28th, 2006, 08:14 PM
jordan's mommie
I'm a teen mommy (16) who recently had a baby boy (may 26, 2006) and I was wondering how efficient home-schooling would be for me. I am an honor roll student. I would like to stay at home with him. I'm from tx.
Thank you for all of your help.
July 29th, 2006, 12:23 AM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi, I think homeschooling yourself is a great idea. You can stay with your baby and school at times suited to you. Tx is a really good state to home school in too. There are charter schools that are basicly ps at home, or there are other entire curriculums that you could choose. There are a couple of mums on here with high school aged kids so they should know more about whats out there to use.

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
July 29th, 2006, 12:25 AM
Nicolee
dropping in from DDCsept. congrats on your baby boy! how exciting- i had a friend who was honor roll at our high school and she got alot of scholarships and grants to go to college. i was in homeschool as well and it worked well for me. and iam sure there are pro's and con's to both. i would look into what homeschool programs have to offer and if you are offered as much as you are in highschool. good luck!! nicole
July 29th, 2006, 06:14 AM
KarateMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to KarateMom
Hi and ! I'm glad that you stopped by! I don't have high school aged children, but I agree with Jo - it sounds like that would be a good solution for you. (Although, I have to LOL because I read your original post wrong and thought you were asking about homeschooling your son! I was thinking, "Wow, she's really wanting to start EARLY!" ) I think that there are a ton of advantages to homeschooling yourself and continuing your education.
I know that there are lots of options, so I'd suggest checking with the Board of Education website for Texas and seeing what the requirements are for high school. You may or may not have to notify them that you're withdrawing from school. The site would also be able to tell you what the required subjects for graduation are. Also, I think that there are some ways to get a high school diploma versus getting a GED, but I don't know what they are.
Well, I hope it was at least a little helpful! Please feel free to come back with any questions at all! And congrats on your little man - he's a cutie!

You're never fully dressed without a SMILE!!

July 29th, 2006, 09:08 PM
Denise66's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi! I do not get a chance to post here often. I just finished 13 years of homeschooling my children. My oldest has graduated. I would definitely check the regulations in Texas. You should very well be able to homeschool even though you have a son. I think it is great that you still want to continue with your education. Being an honor student I am sure you are quite motivated and an independent worker. That is important. Do you have family that would be there and support you?

I hope all goes well with you!

July 30th, 2006, 01:17 PM
duality's Avatar Miss Mama
I'm a teen mom myself, and I homeschool. I started homeschooling before I got pregnant, and am now 6 credits away from graduating. (Would be less but they lost three of my shipments and I had to have them re-sent.)

I don't homeschool through the school district. I paid $935 over the course of 10 months to enroll in the diploma program at pennfoster.edu. If you have previous high school credits you can transfer them, but there are only certain credits that they'll accept. Once you sign up, you will get your first shipment. Once you complete the lesson and finish half of the exams, they send you your next shipment of lessons. It's pretty simple. I'm 17 and will be graduating a year ahead of my class. The tuition is pretty pricey, but you don't have to pay it all upfront, and however long it takes you to finish your lessons is how long you have to pay.

If you want to know more, you can PM me.

July 30th, 2006, 02:02 PM
Shery's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi!
I think homeschooling would be the perfect option for you. If you are motivated enough to get your stuff done and have the drive to do it, then you will succeed!!! I respect you for wanting to be home with your baby. I hope it works out for you. I'm sure we will try to answer any questions you have. I don't have highschoolers, but have friends who do. They are doing great...some of them with online programs, especially Math.
Good luck and welcome!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search