Hi fellow Homeschoolers!

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Frackel

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 3rd, 2013, 12:52 PM
Fortroseberry's Avatar Veteran
I didn't even know this board existed! So excited to have found it.

This is our first year homeschooling, and loving it! I unfortunately had to take about 2 months off (I taught when I felt well enough 1-2 days a week), because I was so sick from about 8w-17w . Now that we're back in it, I think we'll have to work through the summer to get caught up, then take another break once baby comes in September.

Has anyone else taken a long break like that? How long did it take for you to catch up?

June 3rd, 2013, 03:02 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Welcome! Where are you? I'm near Austin. I haven't taken an extended break (other than summer), but a lot of people do that. It's not a big deal... especially in Texas.
June 3rd, 2013, 06:15 PM
Fortroseberry's Avatar Veteran
Thanks! We're in San Antonio, and yes I LOVE Texas for that!

June 3rd, 2013, 07:59 PM
Frackel's Avatar DOh!
Hello

I can't say we've taken a super long break because even when we don't do steady work, we still do some. Our summer break goes from May until September, but the kids still do some work even during that.

I think, if you know you'll need to, or find yourself needing to, take an extended "leave" of sorts, it's a good idea to continue doing at least some work. It doesn't have to be structured or consistent. But I do think it's important to not slack off entirely.
I was pretty much stuck in bed for nearly 2 months to the point I could only get up to use the bathroom and take a bath with occasional bouts of being able to sit in a chair. I was trying to fight off multiple organ failure at the time, so really even what i did do was pushing it, and I shouldn't have. I'm still working on repairing that.
I made sure the kids did at least *some* stuff. Even if just minimal. I think it's very important that my kiddos know just simply taking off completely should never be a first option. Even if we can't do formal learning from our text books we can ALWAYS create a lesson, even out of thin air.

That's one beauty of homeschooling, we're always learning. Even when textbooks, workbooks and formed lessons have to take aback seat. Unlike brick and mortar schools where if you miss a day, you miss a day of learning, period. No making that up.
You can always catch up on your formal lessons later. There is no "you must do this by such and such date" when it comes to homeschooling. You set your pace, you set your curriculum and you set your schedule. So, I would figure out what's going to work best for you, then figure out what will work best for your kids, and combine the two.
There will always be days when you say "eh, can't do it today". So plan for those too. At least we have that option.
You can create lessons for down time, outside playing time, times when the kids are at each others' throats...etc.
Movies are a great quiet time sort of lesson. You can make it education, or really, even not. Have the kids watch something and then tell you about it in some sort of art medium, if they can't write about it. You can cover all kinds of subjects from Math to English, Art to Physical Education, even.
It sounds more complicated than it is, lol. But once you've done it a few times out of necessity, you realize how very easy it is to make anything a lesson.

Even things as simple as chores and daily tasks can be lessons.
"How many socks do you have there, and how many pairs can you make?".-Math/Home Ec/Self Help
"Take this list, grab yourself a bucket, and find me everything on this list. Then tell me something you like about each item"-Art, Physical Education, Public Speaking(Language Arts even)-If done outside, Science as well
"Watch this Dora the Explorer video and learn two new Spanish words. Then tell me about them"-Language Arts/Foreign Language
"Your baby sister only slept for one hour, how many minutes of sleep is that for mommy"-Math
"Help mommy out by picking up the toys in your room, making your bed, sorting the laundry"-Home Ec/Self Help
"Why do you think the clouds are so fluffy and the sky is so blue"-Science/ Creative Learning
"We need to go to the store. You have $5($1 for littles). Can you find something you'll be able to buy with that? How much will you have left"-Math
"While were are in this isle, can you find mommy the blue bottle of soap we use and tell me how much it costs?"-Math, Language Arts
You get the point I'm sure, hehe.

None of which look like a lesson...although every single one is.
You don't have to get behind or backed up just because you can't do formal sit down lessons. In fact, you don't have to do formal sit down lessons at all, if you choose not to. It might take a little creative thinking here and there, but it's not hard at all to stay current and caught up, as it were. It just depends on how you do it, and how your children learn. They can even help you. Everyone from the oldest right on down to the little ones(well, minus the newborn of course, they aren't always nearly as helpful, but can be included in the lessons for the other kids, lol)
TreeTog likes this.
June 8th, 2013, 02:20 PM
2pinks&ablue's Avatar Chantelle
Welcome!

That's the main reason we school year-round So we can take breaks when we want/need, and not worry about it!
June 13th, 2013, 06:19 AM
Regular
We have taken time off and the girls quickly pick-up were they left off on the school work. We are just finishing up our school year and will start the new school year in late July. We take most of our time off in the fall and spring.
June 13th, 2013, 08:00 AM
bookworm16_2000's Avatar Mom to Allison and JR
Welcome!

We haven't taken an extended break, mostly because my daughter wants to school every day. But remember, it doesn't have to look like sit down, pencil to paper to be educational. It can be life skills by doing household chores, math while cooking (or helping), reading to a sibling, writing with an email to the grandparents, science while talking about the growth of the baby...

Good luck! It will work out

Thanks to Claire1979 for the terrific siggy!

My Blog
June 24th, 2013, 10:17 AM
2Corinthians10:4's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We took an extended break the last 8 weeks we were in Texas, but I put her in pre-k. We have done some light reviewing over the summer and I feel she is ready to move on to the first grade level so we plan to start with that.

Because we know we will be taking a big break in October (glad to see another October DDC mommy over here btw!) I am starting our school year really early to help us not get too far behind.

Thank you Kiliki for my beautiful siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search