Summertime

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 2nd, 2013, 10:30 AM
2pinks&ablue's Avatar Chantelle
Do you take summer's off? Or do you homeschool year-round? If you homeschool year-round do you take a more relaxed approach in the summer months?
July 2nd, 2013, 06:59 PM
Regular
We homeschool all year, and we take a more relaxed approach during the summer. We are currently reviewing the past years subjects and will start the new year on 29 July. We just received our new curriculum today and the girls were very excited about checking out the new books. That is a good sign that they love to learn.

Nancy
July 3rd, 2013, 01:03 AM
Frackel's Avatar DOh!
We take summers off. We've been done since the beginning of May. We'll start back up somewhere around September. The start date changes every year depending on what we're doing at the time. I'm usually gone for 2-4 weeks in August, September or October. The date changes every year. They go to my mom's house while I'm away, though.

Although we take summer off, formally, they still do work. We just don't consider it or even think of it as working. They're working, well were working on some gardening projects. Our recent flooding killed that, though. So, now they're still deciding what they'd like to do instead as their big summer project.

They also pick their own subjects to work on over the summer(no big projects, just general studies, experiments, things like that). Whatever they find an interest in, that's what they go for. It could be just about anything from electronics, chemistry, botany, history, art...etc. I let them decide.
Last year and the year before they each had a subject, or area, and stuck to it. This year, they're all over the board, lol. One week working on one thing, the next, another.
I think it keeps life exciting to get rid of formalities and, for a period of time let them take full control over it all. We all learn, we all generally have fun, and it's a good way to keep them busy when we can't go outside. Otherwise they are outside from sun up until long after sun down. The recent rain and flooding has put a damper on that too, a bit.
July 3rd, 2013, 01:47 PM
bookworm16_2000's Avatar Mom to Allison and JR
We go year-round but summer is much more relaxed, just reading and skill review. It only takes 30-45 minutes a day.

Thanks to Claire1979 for the terrific siggy!

My Blog
July 4th, 2013, 12:32 PM
2Corinthians10:4's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
This year we took Summer off, we are starting back on July 15th though to get a jump start before Little Man arrives. We might go year around next year though.

Thank you Kiliki for my beautiful siggy!

July 4th, 2013, 03:01 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
We take a short summer break (about 6-8 weeks) for summer camps, traveling to visit family, etc. We'll start back on July 22nd with a 6 weeks on, 1 week off sort of schedule this year.
July 6th, 2013, 12:23 PM
Rochelle
The original plan was to do that but we really have some catching up to do. The pregnancy was kinda rough on me and we had a lot of disruptions. So, we're already gliding back into things. DH was working with them yesterday which was NICE! And I want to get something going this coming week.
July 7th, 2013, 11:20 AM
Erin.minus.thyroid's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
i was planning to do year round schooling with a short summer break (my son went to a school that was year round for preschool and they did a 7 week summer break and 3 three week breaks during the year, i was planning to do the same schedule). We had a really rough first year of homeschooling and we needed a longer break. im hoping to do the original schedule next year.
DD born 1/3/12

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search