When is your first day?

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By BensMom
  • 1 Post By Frackel
  • 1 Post By hiskid1324
  • 1 Post By youngwoman
  • 1 Post By Fortroseberry
  • 1 Post By 4hearts

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 5th, 2013, 11:34 AM
Platinum Supermommy
When are you starting and what will you be using?
A-6yrs 3/08
J-4.5yrs 11/09
K 2.5yrs 9/11
And
L-7/12/14!!!!

August 5th, 2013, 11:41 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I will have three kids doing formal schooling and a preschooler and a tiny tot tagging along.

For the oldest 4th grade We will be using

HOP master reader
Easy grammar 4
Horizons math 4
SOS bible 4

For the second 2nd grader
HOP MASTER READER
Easy grammar 2
Horizons math 4
Lifepac bible 2

For number 3 kindergarten
Horizons math K
HOP kindergarten

For all three
Apologia zoology 1
Truthquest American history.

And we are starting August 19th.
A-6yrs 3/08
J-4.5yrs 11/09
K 2.5yrs 9/11
And
L-7/12/14!!!!

August 5th, 2013, 09:32 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
We started July 22nd so that we can take a week (or more) off every 6 weeks. We'll end up with around 36-37 weeks of school, half-days each.

Ben (5th-ish, officially 2nd): R&S Bible 8, Reading Comp in Varied Subject Matter vol. 1, WorldlyWise 6, Writing Strands 3, R&S English 6, Sequential Spelling 7, Life of Fred Math J through Fractions (possibly Decimals), Apologia Zoology 3 & Astronomy, Abeka Health 4, Notgrass America the Beautiful, Kumon and R&S art (along with OT for motor skill delays), piano lessons

Daniel (2nd-ish, officially preschool): My own Bible curriculum (through the Bible in a year), WorldlyWise 3, Abeka handwriting K4, Reading Comp in Varied Subject Matter vol. D, R&S English 3, Sequential Spelling (on book 1, but not sure we'll continue this method because of his hearing loss), Song School Latin 2, Life of Fred (as far as he can get in a year... no idea), Real Science 4 Kids Chemistry, Apologia Astronomy, Abeka Health 3, Abeka Music Theory I & II, Kumon and R&S art, and kinda playing around with "The Complete Book of American History", although we're not actually calling it curriculum... no social studies this year.
*~Amber~* likes this.
August 6th, 2013, 01:43 AM
Frackel's Avatar DOh!
We start sometime in September. It depends entirely on when I am going out of town this year, though.

Everything we are doing is piece parted together using on and offline resources we've gathered over the last year. We aren't using any specific publications, or texts though. I don't use a specific grade for many subjects because I don't find a need to. Everything is tailored to their needs and desires. They have a hefty amount of input when it comes to their education. We're also secular

Alexis-technically in 9th-
Math-11/12
Language Arts 12+(English, Latin and Greek vocabulary, Composition, Poetry, Grammar)
Science-10/11/12(depending on subject)
Spanish-10
History- 11/12 (US,World, Government)
Art
PE
Music(appreciation, Piano)
Home Ec/Lifeskills/Health
Technology

Alyssia-technically in 7th
Math-9/10
Language arts(same subjects, plus spelling)-9
Science-10/11/12(same)
Spanish-8
History-9/10 (US, World, GOvernment)
Art
PE
Music(appreciation, Piano)

Leo-technically in 4th
Math-6/7
Language Arts-6/7(same subjects, plus spelling)
Science-10/11/12(same)
Spanish-4
History-6 (Ohio, US, World and a touch on basic Government)
Art
PE
Music(appreciation)
Technology

I'm sure there's something I am missing but I can't remember it off the top of my head, I'll add it if I do. This also doesn't include anything elective they decide they want to add in as we go along. We do that a lot, we are very flexible.
Oh I know what I wanted to add. Not all subjects are done everyday. Math, LA, Science are daily. History, Spanish 2-3 days. The others anywhere from 1-5 days depending on what we're working on.
*~Amber~* likes this.

Last edited by Frackel; August 6th, 2013 at 01:47 AM.
August 6th, 2013, 05:46 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We have taken our time with preschool (and done lots of extras and fun stuff), so she is on lesson 116 in her Horizons Preschool curriculum. As it stands right now we will be taking a 2 week break the last week of October and first week of November, and the month of December off. She will start a Charlotte Mason- style Kindergarten in January.
*~Amber~* likes this.
August 7th, 2013, 05:02 AM
youngwoman's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We started at the end of June, so that we could take time off in late July/early August to visit family and we'll be taking time off in October for Disney. We're using Calvert's Kindergarten curriculum.
*~Amber~* likes this.

August 7th, 2013, 09:13 AM
Fortroseberry's Avatar Veteran
We'll OFFICIALLY start after our baby gets here, but doing refreshers up until she gets here.

Our 4th Grader:

-A Reason for Handwriting
-Math-U-See
-BJU English 4
-BJU Reading 4
-BJU Science 3
-AWANA'S
-Gymnastics

Our 3rd Grader:

-A Reason for Handwriting
-Math-U-See
-BJU English 3
-BJU Reading 4
-BJU Science 3
-AWANA'S
-Baseball

Our 1st Grader:

-Math-U-See
-AWANA'S
-Baseball
*Don't have her figured out yet. I need to move on that!

Our preschooler:

K4 Curriculum by Erica from Confessions of a Homeschooler
*~Amber~* likes this.

Last edited by Fortroseberry; August 7th, 2013 at 09:16 AM.
August 7th, 2013, 01:26 PM
Rochelle
*coming out of lurkingland*

We started Aug 5th bc being pg with my 4th messed things up HS-wise last school year and we need to catch up. Baby-girl is 6 weeks now and I'm sitting around nursing her so much that I made that our HS time.

DD1 is in 5th now but has 4th grade stuff to catch up on. We do mostly Spectrum with some other random things I got from my teacher-mom and other HS mom-friends.

DS is 1st grade now. Strong in numbers, weak in ABC's. We're still getting the hang of that and then we'll pursue reading. We're using Kumon, Scholastic Success and Scholar power workbooks.

We'll likely not get an all inclusive curriculum until it becomes unavoidable. We get so much material for free that we might as well use it. Also, there's so much to use from the internet. The higher grades will reopen the convo of purchasing a full curriculum.
*~Amber~* likes this.
August 7th, 2013, 06:04 PM
bookworm16_2000's Avatar Mom to Allison and JR
We started on July 22 because Allison doesn't like to take breaks and she finished her summer school curriculum 2 weeks early! We are doing first grade and are using :
-Learning Language Arts Through Literature Blue Book but will probably finish it in less than a year. It's a bit easy for her and she's breezing through 2-3 lessons a day. If she finishes it early we'll move up to the Red Book.
-Horizons 1 Math and I might start supplementing with Life of Fred in January
-Magic School Bus DVD's for science
-Discussion/library books about general first grade social studies topics
-Gymnastics and co-op PE

Thanks to Claire1979 for the terrific siggy!

My Blog
August 7th, 2013, 08:14 PM
Erin.minus.thyroid's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
we start on the 12th of August. DS(7) will be in 2nd grade, DD(1.5) is doing toddler work. We use Montessori for all subjects. My son will also work with Life of Fred as a supplement to math because he enjoys it. We will also use Draw, Write, Now books for handwriting/drawing, we are going to adapt them for cursive (hopefully)
DD born 1/3/12

August 8th, 2013, 06:05 AM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
I'm going to start PS with Claire on Aug. 26. I'm using the basic outline from ABCJesusLovesMe. We'll also be doing Mudpies to Magnets for science and supplementing with other materials after I see how things go.

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (4), Abigail (2) and George (2)

August 8th, 2013, 04:34 PM
2Corinthians10:4's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We are in week 4 currently. We started the 15th of July I think? I started early to leave room for a two week break after the baby is born and a month long vacation for Thanksgiving/Christmas. After that the plan is for 5-6 weeks on and 1 week off throughout the year.

We are using:

History Odyssey Ancients-Level 1
R.E.A.L. Science Life Science Level 1
Mammoth Math 1st grade
HOP 1st grade (we might move onto 2nd grade next semester)
First Language Lessons Vol 1
HWoT 1st grade
Spelling Workout Level A
Character Building Bible study (forget the actual name, we are also supplementing with Kids of Integrity)

She also does gymnastics, church group, swimming lessons starting next month, and we are involved in Classical Conversations.

Thank you Kiliki for my beautiful siggy!

August 9th, 2013, 01:42 PM
spicymustard's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm thinking we are going to start 8/19.

Dd will be doing kinder:
McRuffy phonics, reading, and handwriting
McRuffy science
Horizons math
Haven't decided for SS yet.

August 11th, 2013, 06:58 PM
Spider123's Avatar Veteran
I have a copy of Saxon Math K, which is very structured and written to start in September, so I will probably introduce the concept of seatwork three weeks from tomorrow. If it doesn't work out, it's not a huge deal for me so we'll just borrow a copy of Life of Fred from the library to see if we like it as a read aloud and continue John Holt style old school unschooling--I can always call it something else since I'm not overly attached to that particular word or overly impressed with Sandra Dodd or Dayna Martin's use of it.

I was also planning on doing some sort of letter of the week activities, but ds blew those plans out of water when he read me the first three Bob books in rapid succession and then about half of the first Ball-Stick-Bird book. My revised plans are to use B-S-B for 5-20 minutes a day (or most days) but in the same spirit I read to him and maybe do some additional phonics work with Explode the Code or Ordinary Parents' Guide to Teaching Reading.

I'd also like to do Drawing With Children and some sort of physical activity (bicycling until the rains start and then yoga) on a regular basis, feel okay about saying "no more TV today but you can listen to your SOTW CDs", and of course we'll continue Park Day and other activities with our local homeschooling group.

Hopefully I'll put the curriculum catalogues in the recycling bin and my credit card back in my wallet because we already have way more "stuff" than anyone needs.
August 14th, 2013, 05:21 PM
Mega Super Mommy
EEP! Just discovered my eldest knows ALL the language and math stuff she would learn in the last 50 lessons of PK, so on to Kinder we go! I think we are starting Monday if I can get everything organized by then! I feel CRAZILY disorganized right now!!
August 14th, 2013, 06:19 PM
Spider123's Avatar Veteran
I'm glad I'm not the only one but sorry you're going through it too. (((((hugs)))))

I'm trying to sort out what are my issues, as far as discipline and parenting, what is needing to teach ds age appropriate study skills, and what actually has to do with reading.

Do you think that might help your situation too? I can go into more detail if it would, but I don't want to threadjack with a long, boring monologue if you've already got that part under control.
August 27th, 2013, 05:58 AM
Regular
We started 4 weeks ago. We have several vacations planned this year, so we wanted to get an early start to the school year.

I'm using Seton Home Study this year, so most of my books are Seton books. My girls are in the 5th and 7th grades. We are using Saxon 2nd Edition for Math with both girls 6/5 and 8/7. All the other books are produced by Seton, which includes, English, spelling, vocabulary, art, history, music, reading, religion, science, phonics (5th grader), and handwriting (5th grader).

I hope everyone has a wonderful school year!

Nancy
August 28th, 2013, 08:16 AM
2pinks&ablue's Avatar Chantelle
We've been schooling year round, but we took it easy over the summer. We will start back full force next week! I have been making most of my own curriculum, but Alyssa is using Hooked on Phonics for reading.
August 28th, 2013, 10:53 AM
Mega Super Mommy
August 5th was our first day. Don't ask me when our last day of last year was.

DD (age 7.5):
copy work on wide rule paper (on a trial basis)
MUS Alpha
A Child's Garden of Verses (for reading practice; enunciation, etc.)

DS1 (age 5.9):
tracing work on 3rd grade paper
MM K review/possibly MUS Alpha
Phonics Pathways

DS2 (age 3.0)
ABC's
counting bears
colors
imitating Brother's phonics practice

For all:
SOTW1 (last few chapters)
Magic School Bus books