I'm considering homeschooling

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Irish_Wristwatch
  • 1 Post By KMH

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 3rd, 2013, 02:21 PM
1st time mom
But I have so many questions.. I am just recently even interested in it and just starting to do research.

When you homeschool is there a curriculum you purchase? Is that per age group? Per subject? How does that work?

Is homeschooling expensive? Obviously it is more costly than public school.. But about how much are we talking?

And also.. Is it just as easy for homeschooled students to get into college? Is there any way for them to still get scholarships?

Like I said... I am new to even considering this. My daughter isn't even school aged yet. But I figure there is no better place to ask my stupid questions than to a bunch of parents online that don't even know me
September 3rd, 2013, 02:34 PM
Irish_Wristwatch's Avatar Running with Scissors....
were still new/in the planning stages but I will do my best to answer

When you homeschool is there a curriculum you purchase? Is that per age group? Per subject? How does that work?
You can purchase a curriculum, some companies do a full curriculum, which is where you purchase all the subjects by grade level, you can also purchase subjects individually, so math from one company, english from another ect Its just a preference thing

Is homeschooling expensive? Obviously it is more costly than public school.. But about how much are we talking? It can be expensive if you choose an expensive curriculum, but there are people who make their own for little to no cost at all, again its a preference thing

And also.. Is it just as easy for homeschooled students to get into college? Is there any way for them to still get scholarships? Homeschooled students most certainly can get into college, how easy it is probably depends on the program and college though.
Excited_mommy likes this.

September 3rd, 2013, 03:15 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
When you homeschool is there a curriculum you purchase? Is that per age group? Per subject? How does that work? You can purchase "out of the box" curriculums where everything is set up for you. They give you lesson plans, textbooks, workbooks...everything you need and all you have to do is follow their instructions. Some companies let you pick and choose different books/concentrations and you can put together your own package. You can also piece together your own from used book sales/libraries/etc., or go without!

Most textbooks/curriculums are advertised for a certain grade level, but some of the companies make books/curriculums that can be used for kids that are a couple of years apart. They will also customize packages for you if you are teaching multiple kids at different levels.

Is homeschooling expensive? Obviously it is more costly than public school.. But about how much are we talking? Like Bree said, it is totally up to you. You can use library books and do everything for very little money. You can also spend $500 just on a curriculum for Pre-K. Most people are somewhere in the middle, I would say. ALso keep in mind that if you have more than one child, you can reuse most things, so it might seem costly for child #1 but the cost will average out over future kids.

And also.. Is it just as easy for homeschooled students to get into college? Is there any way for them to still get scholarships? Absolutely. It didn't always used to be easy for homeschoolers, but since it has grown so much, colleges are very accommodating and often have people who will help guide homeschoolers through the application/interview process. There are also tons of scholarships available for homeschooled kids, and the test-based scholarships like the National Merit program are open to everyone regardless of how you were schooled.
Excited_mommy likes this.

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (5), Abigail (3) and George (3)

September 3rd, 2013, 04:03 PM
1st time mom
Thank you, that's very helpful! How would someone put together their own curriculum? Would they just look up what the state requires them to learn, and then create your own worksheets, lesson plans, and so on.. How do you make sure that you are meeting the requirements?
September 3rd, 2013, 04:16 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
Most states have a website for homeschooling families with all of the forms, information, laws, etc. that you need. Some states have a lot of hoops to jump through and a lot of rules/regulations, and others will mostly let you do your own thing.

I have no idea what state you are in...here is just one example from TX: » State Requirements.

Once you make sure you know the requirements, the world is your oyster and you can be as creative as you want with the curriculum. Watch out...it is kind of addicting

Edited to add: After posting that, I realized you put in your info that you are in TX, so I guess my info is more relevant than I thought! That website is an awesome resource and should give you a great start.

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (5), Abigail (3) and George (3)

September 4th, 2013, 05:52 AM
1st time mom
Thank you that was extremely helpful!
September 7th, 2013, 08:56 AM
2pinks&ablue's Avatar Chantelle
My children are in K and first grade this year and so far the only boxed curriculum I've purchased is "Hooked on Phonics". I've mixed and matched and made up my own for the rest to come up with something that works for us
September 7th, 2013, 12:27 PM
Frackel's Avatar DOh!
When you homeschool is there a curriculum you purchase? Is that per age group? Per subject? How does that work? You can purchase a boxed curriculum if you want to. I think many if not most people do. There can be any number of reasons why they do, though. Usually a boxed curriculum is an all(or mostly all)-inclusive set of multiple subjects geared towards a specific age/grade level. I don't personally use any boxed curriculum. Even when we had a virtual umbrella school, the curriculum they sent wasn't the entirety of their curriculum, or even close. I prefer to piece part together based on their desires and needs, as well as grade/comprehension level. It's much easier to cater to the needs of them when I don't force them into one specific grade level in all subjects. That's just what works best for my kids though, your mileage may vary.

Is homeschooling expensive? Obviously it is more costly than public school.. But about how much are we talking? It is absolutely not expensive at all. It can be, and some people choose to make it so. It does not have to be, though. Aside from basic supplies like paper, pencils and the like, I have spent less than $50 on this year's curriculum in total combined for all three kids. Homeschooling does not have to cost more than public school. In fact for us, it wouldn't. Public school still has it's costs too-and all kinds of them. Cost is one huge factor in why I don't use a boxed curriculum. It's my second factor I took into consideration. I personally believe some publishers and companies charge a very ridiculous amount of money for things, but that applies to way more than curriculum, lol. We live quite frugally and we like it that way. So it's not hard for me to keep the school budget low too.

And also.. Is it just as easy for homeschooled students to get into college? Is there any way for them to still get scholarships? Yes it is just as easy, there are no barriers there that once may have been, anymore. Now that more people are choosing to homeschool, this is becoming more and more evident. Yes they can still get scholarships. It's just something you have to look into. Scholarships aren't just given to kids who attend a brick and mortar school. Some scholarships are awarded based on things a brick and mortar school doesn't even supply. In other words, many scholarships aren't educationally based to begin with, so where one attends/attended school won't much matter.
September 13th, 2013, 07:20 AM
1st time mom
Thank you ladies.. You are all so helpful.

This has deffinately helped answer many of my questions. I have to do more research,pray, and consider what would be best for my family. I am just so weary of public schools and the influences that would surround my child at such a young age. But there is more to consider. Thanks for all the help.
October 21st, 2013, 06:33 PM
Great advice given here by many posters - Thanks to all!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search