Homeschooling in North Dakota?

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By blaundee
  • 1 Post By MamaSkunk

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 14th, 2013, 09:54 AM
Veteran
I'm jumping the gun quite a bit here, I'm just now starting TTC! LOL However, we plan to homeschool... I was homeschooled in Tx & New Mexico, and homeschooling in New Mexico is pretty easy to do. Recently, though, hubby was offered a really good job in North Dakota, and we are seriously considering it. What is it like for homeschoolers in ND, regarding laws, etc?
September 14th, 2013, 09:59 AM
Veteran
Also- are there homeschooling groups in NW ND?
September 14th, 2013, 12:55 PM
TreeTog's Avatar Love is in the Air!
Homeschooling in North Dakota

September 14th, 2013, 02:44 PM
Veteran
Thank you!
TreeTog likes this.
September 15th, 2013, 12:03 PM
broxi3781's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I Belfast so virtually useless to you - but one tiny bit of advice. Once you conceive - start collecting books. I am so thankful now for some of the second hand gems I picked up for next to nothing years before the children were ready for them.

And as soon as the baby is born start reading to him or her. My Favourite book for Baby's:

Bumpus Jumpus Dinosaurumpus.

Good luck
September 15th, 2013, 01:04 PM
Veteran
Thanks I love books, so have large collection, & have already started saving a few children's books.
September 15th, 2013, 01:13 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
Ditto...when I was pregnant with #1 I bought a huge collection of Little Golden Books on Ebay for almost nothing, and I love having them to read to the kids!

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (5), Abigail (3) and George (3)

September 15th, 2013, 10:16 PM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Don't forget to check with your mother to see if any of your own childhood books were saved. My parents had saved about fifty books from my childhood unbeknownst to me so my kids have a large selection of some really good classic kids books and I didn't have to spend a dime!@
KMH likes this.

September 15th, 2013, 10:58 PM
Veteran
My mother kept all of our favorite books, but most of our school books were VERY well used! There were 4 of us, and most of them were the kind you write directly in, so there wasnt a lot left to them- my favorite part of starting school in the fall was the new school books, esp the English & science ones. However, I know she still has the "God, Creation, and Me" curriculum (sp?) that was the very first curriculum she bought, it's a early one (not sure if it's kindergarten or 1st grade level), we loved it & I plan to use it. I'll have to make copies of it so Brother can use it for his kids, too (they too are ttc! I'm so happy about that!).
October 10th, 2013, 09:44 AM
Super Mommy
Omgosh....I live in ND. I am in the Feb 13 playroom and I am lurking on this board because I plan to homeschool. Let me guess, Williston or Dickinson? What town are you thinking of moving too? Do you know people here?
October 11th, 2013, 11:31 AM
Veteran
LOL Good guess- We're looking at Williston, and have a friend that grew up here with us that lives in Dickinson lol
October 11th, 2013, 01:54 PM
Super Mommy
Yep, Your husband must be in some sort of trade for the oil. I live In Dickinson. Dickinson is a little better for housing. Williston is a nightmare. You need 3x the money to live there as you are living off now. No Joke. 6 figures does not go far in Williston. You better homeschool if you move there. This year they had like 1600 students that didn't have a school because they were so over crowded. That was on top of building 3 new ones. I could never live in Williston. It is too crowded and the only place to shop is WALMART. No malls or anything. But it is a job if your family is in need and I would rather see people do that to help themselves than sit around and complain. Keep us posted to what you decide. I used to live in Texas too so I know that it is going to be a different world for you.
October 11th, 2013, 02:24 PM
Veteran
Our friend in Dickinson said the weather is very similar to here (we live in NM), and we've been doing a lot of research- according to people that live in Williston, it has gotten a lot better within the last year, & is a pretty good place, nice people, etc. As for shopping, I've been told that they have several new stores in town, including a Sakura sushi! I don't really care about shopping anyway, I literally have to drive 2 hours one way just to get groceries, new clothes, or go to the doctor! LOL Yes, oilfield work, that's all that we have available here so that's what hubby does (even though he has other education, too)- the job he was offered would require us to live in or very near Williston, but we have 2 business opportunities that would allow us to live anywhere in the Bakken, and make a LOT more money than the original job offer, so we have a LOT to consider! lol As far as homeschooling, I would NEVER send my kids to a public school anywhere, the only institutional school I'd send them to would be a church school. I have always planned to homeschool, so don't want to move somewhere that will involve a huge hassle over homeschooling. Are you involved in the oil industry? Why do you live in Dickinson & how long have you been there?

Our friend in Dickinson said the weather is very similar to here (we live in NM), and we've been doing a lot of research- according to people that live in Williston, it has gotten a lot better within the last year, & is a pretty good place, nice people, etc. As for shopping, I've been told that they have several new stores in town, including a Sakura sushi! I don't really care about shopping anyway, I literally have to drive 2 hours one way just to get groceries, new clothes, or go to the doctor! LOL Yes, oilfield work, that's all that we have available here so that's what hubby does (even though he has other education, too)- the job he was offered would require us to live in or very near Williston, but we have 2 business opportunities that would allow us to live anywhere in the Bakken, and make a LOT more money than the original job offer, so we have a LOT to consider! lol As far as homeschooling, I would NEVER send my kids to a public school anywhere, the only institutional school I'd send them to would be a church school. I have always planned to homeschool, so don't want to move somewhere that will involve a huge hassle over homeschooling. Are you involved in the oil industry? Why do you live in Dickinson & how long have you been there?
October 11th, 2013, 07:55 PM
Super Mommy
Yeah it has gotten a little better because they have man camps and I guess it all depends where you are coming from and what you are used to seeing. There is def some good opportunities for families here who are willing to work and tough out the weather.
I have lived here most my life (except college and when I was a baby). Most of the people who move here from out of state complain about ND. It really annoys us locals who call ND home so it seems that since the oil boom is going again that nobody is happy and there is a ton of crime. The locals blame the "new people" and the migrants blame "stupid North Dakotans". So if you do come and feel like you are being treated poorly, it is not you. There is just a lot of ticked off people. Lots of jealousy because of all the money.

You should be ok though if you plan on keeping your kids home. Any more I think that is the only way to go.

ND used to have good public schools when it was more controlled by the state. My bro got into Ivy League college with full scholarship from our public schools but that was about 15 years ago. Since the fed took control with no child left behind they are bad. I didn't believe it myself until I started teaching college. The longer I was there the more stupid my students were. They didn't know how to study. They were so used to be spoon-fed everything. I am not in the oil industry as I used to teach and now I stay mom with my 8 month old.

Welcome to ND if you do decide. My suggestion is get here before the snow flies.
October 11th, 2013, 08:26 PM
Veteran
Yeah, I don't like the idea of moving in the winter! It snows from Oct- April here, as I'm sure it does there, so I know how much winter affects EVERYTHING you do & all of your plans! It's as if your entire life is spent thinking about winter- you're either planning for it & trying to get things done before it hits, or just trying to make it through yet another winter! LOL We have a lot to take into consideration-where we want to be in the next 5-10 yrs (literally & figuratively), moving away from our family (both sets of our parents live here, as well as my sisters & some other family members), nd basically just trying to decide if it will be a good move for us. We have a great life here, but don't want to pass up a really good opportunity... lots to think about!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search