Is there anything you "regret" about homeschooling?

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 1st, 2006, 04:05 PM
KarateMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to KarateMom
For me, it's that we don't get to go and get all new school supplies and a new lunch box every year! Isn't that silly? As a kid, I LOVED picking out my new notebooks and folders and such, so I find myself drooling in Wal Mart now at the beginning of back to school season. I just can't justify buying new crayons when we've got 5 million at home! Oh well, I guess it just saves us money!

You're never fully dressed without a SMILE!!

August 5th, 2006, 10:14 PM
dingledine's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to dingledine Send a message via Yahoo to dingledine
Matthew doesn't really have any friends. I am going to "fix" that this year, we are finally planning on joining a home school group, that is supposed to be REALLY great. He did make a few new friends in a program that he was in last year and will be in again this year. We moved out here about 4 years ago, no family out here. So, he hasn't really met people. He went to Public School for 2 years, but because of his behavior problems, he was osterisized (sp).

Jewelry for yourself, or for a friend. Breastfeeding aides, beautiful bracelets, earings and more.

Store.beadsarebeautiful.com
August 6th, 2006, 06:29 PM
Phoenix Rising's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My biggest regret thus far is not being organized enough and procrastinating.

I agree with you lisa - the whole shopping for new school stuff is FUN. I love it. I went to the dollar store the other day and bought each of the girls pencil boxes, a new pair of scissors, crayons (Disney Princesses and Tinkerbell) erasers, special pencils, a ruler, glue sticks and pencil crayons. Sure we have a bajillion of them around the house but I want to fill their pencil boxes at the start of every school year with things that they use just for "school".

As for socialization that has been something that has really bothered me. My youngest daughters have each other but I feel that my oldest is missing out on alot. When we move things will be different because she has many friends in the town that we have the other house in.
August 6th, 2006, 08:12 PM
You know, it kinda makes sense to get at least a little bit of new stuff...just to make the start of school special. Reilly and Declan were asking me for some cool scissors the other day at Wal Mart, and they were only a couple of dollars. Plus, they went to Home Depot with my DH this past Saturday and got to make a wooden pencil box, so it would be cool to have some new things to put in there. It'll cost me, what? $10, maybe? I may rethink this a little bit!

August 15th, 2006, 12:48 PM
hmmmm good question. I just started homeschooling last year so really not any regrets other than I was over zealous and pushed too hard for the first part of the year. I hope to make up for it this year and now that I know I can do it, mellow out some.
August 15th, 2006, 12:55 PM
machris's Avatar Veteran
I'm going to agree with you all

The shopping, the disorganization, the socialization, and Yes I did push too hard in the beginning I think we all do that huh?

although knowing my boy's personality he would definetly be a bully magnet on the playground, so I guess I wish I could have the socialization that everyone THINKS school gets kids KWIM?

M-A

August 15th, 2006, 02:24 PM
Quote:
hmmmm good question. I just started homeschooling last year so really not any regrets other than I was over zealous and pushed too hard for the first part of the year. I hope to make up for it this year and now that I know I can do it, mellow out some. [/b]
I hear you there!!

Quote:
although knowing my boy's personality he would definetly be a bully magnet on the playground, so I guess I wish I could have the socialization that everyone THINKS school gets kids KWIM?

M-A[/b]
I had to laugh at that - not because I think it's good that your son would be a bully magnet, but because those are the types of things that I think when people ask me about socialization. "Ummm, yeah, getting made fun of because you're not wearing the right clothes, or even being pressured to try drugs or other illicit activities....yeah, that makes for good socialization!"
It's as though grownups get out of school and 15 years down the road, look back on it with rose colored glasses and forget what a he** school can be!!

August 15th, 2006, 04:29 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I worry that my social dd wont get as much time to socialize as she would like. Well I know she wont. I'm a homebody, there are no close homeschool groups to go to and no homeschool classes. Schools here still have a decent length lunch time recess for playing after eatting. Shes an outgoing kid I would asume she would be playing with other kids at recess. However the kind of socilaizing that I know will happen as she gets older is not what I want for her anyway. At the moment she has church and dance, and most weeks gets to play with her friend after dance for awhile, but not always. I often wonder when she will start to complain about this. Kids club runs at our church on a Thu arvo from grade 2 up, hopfuly that will do. Then there will be our ds to think about....

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
August 15th, 2006, 06:13 PM
persephonewillow's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
hrmm. i wish i were more organized. or that i could afford some of the already organized curriculum packages! i've always been bad with organization, so homeschooling here can get kind of funky on days when the kids are gung-ho about something and i've lost what they need to continue, kwim?

and i also, honestly, miss the free time i had when the kids were in school. i feel that way only rarely, but there are days when i could use a few hours away. i really look forward to Thursday evenings because i go out to a knitting group.
<div align="center"><span style="color:#663366">I reject your reality and substitute my own. - Adam Savage
</div>
<div align="center"></div>
August 15th, 2006, 06:52 PM
fka teresarunningmommy
Me, I don't have any regrets. Frustrations that I can't do it all, but no regrets.

Teresa

Check out my running blog - Wannabe Running Mama
August 15th, 2006, 08:38 PM
Frelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via ICQ to Frelle Send a message via AIM to Frelle Send a message via Yahoo to Frelle
frustrations, but no regrets here too.

Thank you BAM for my signature!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search