Question of the Day for Wednesday!

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 2nd, 2006, 08:09 AM
KarateMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to KarateMom
I know this question has been asked a lot, but we've got some new people around and I'd like to hear their answers. Plus, for us "veterans", it lets the new people know something about us!

Why did you decide to homeschool? Also, if you use a particular "method", what drew you to that method?

We decided, years before having children, that we wanted to homeschool mainly because we want our kids to have a better education than we feel they would get in public school. (especially the public school district that we live in!) Plus, we wanted to be the ones to decide what they were going to learn (and NOT learn, for that matter). Then there are about 500 other reasons that have cropped up here and there, so we're really happy with our decision.
As for the method to our madness, its a bit ecclectic right now. I'm looking into beginning to use the Charlotte Mason method because I like the idea of all the reading and literature and things like that. But for now we use a little of this, a little of that, and hope that it all works out in the end!

You're never fully dressed without a SMILE!!

August 2nd, 2006, 03:31 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oh goody my favorite topic, ready for the novel?

Quote:
Why did you decide to homeschool?[/b]
I decided I wanted to do this over 12 years ago, for so many diffrent reasons. But I think mainly because it just really apealed to me. Which dosn't sound much of a reason does it Some of those reasons included a mistrust in Gvt run education. Not only what is taught, but how it is taught. I saw a friends son go from hardly reading to reading above grade level in one year, that blew me away! That just strengthened my already poor apinion of Gvt run schools. I also saw a friends dd love learning, and who was such a nice girl in contrast to some school age kids I had heard with bad clothing and gutter speach. To me these homeschoolers really had it made, who would want ps after watching them?
> A better education for my kids
> A tailord education
> Not having to unteach bad values and ideas we disagree with such as evalution
> passing on our families beliefs
> closer family ties
> Family interdependence rather then peer dependence. I am very against peer dependence which has to happen if children are surounded by peers most of the day and not their families. This would happen even in the very best of schools.
> This in turn frees children to be themselves. To make decitions based on who they are and what they like. Not because you must have Nike or some other brand to fit in.
> To make my own schedule. lol always did go against the flow. I chaff at folowing someone elses imposed schedule. The thought of having to compliy to a schools schedule for the next 15 years drives me
> freedom to be a kid with time to play in the dirt. Schools giving hours of homework discusts me.
> Appropriate learning for my kids. That is learning with there learning style and developmentaly appropriate stage in mind. I believe early accademics on children not showing readiness is serously harmful. Schools now have brought accademic expectations way down. Only last night I was browsing the teacher message boards and a preK teacher was saying her school was way too academic, in that by the end of preK the kids were suposed to be reading some words and to copy a sentence. !!!
I only see this stressing out a certain percentage of kids, leading to low self esteme when the can not meet these goals, burn out or emotional or even mental problems. Over here my daughter could start grade 1 next year if I so choosed. I believe she would be totaly crushed. Ok anough ranting on that.
> Also not holding bright kids back. I believe there staements about things leveling off by therd grade is well rubbish. Whats a gifted kid suposed to do till the gifted programe begines at therd grade? Mark time? I don't think most schools are catering to these kids needs at all.

Quote:
Also, if you use a particular "method", what drew you to that method?[/b]
Again I guessed it just apealed to me is a pretty lame reason.

>I love books, but hate text books. They put me to faster then anything. Oh I feel my eyes glaze over just at the mention. So methods that used good literature to teach drew my attention. It was a totaly new concept to me but I emedatly loved the idea of living books.
> I looked further into CM and some other parts of that, that I like are lots of outdoor time and free play particuly before 6 years of age. Copy work as it teaches such a wide area of LA skills... without the text books
> I also like unit studies as it seems logical to me to combine subjects under one topic rather then being totaly devoid from each other. I also like hands on and fun stuff and can see lots of posibilities for that with units. I can also use reading books as the spine of a unit. So while CM may not have liked them, to me books and units go together.

Lol told ya it would be a novel. Your very good if you read all this.

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
August 3rd, 2006, 08:28 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I know it's Thursday and this was the Wednesday question, but I'll answer anyway. We decided to homeschool our kids because we want them to have an excellent education and they weren't getting that in the public schools. I didn't feel they were learning anything in school (except maybe some bad words and dirty jokes) and I didn't want to send them to school just to be babysat for 8 hrs a day. My kids are both natural learners and love to read. If I say let's go to the bookstore, they get so excited you'd think I said toy store, not bookstore. I didn't want their love of learning being squashed by the public schools. Plus they were coming home more interested in things like video games and tv shows because that's what the kids at school are into. We are going to be using Sonlight because it's literature based and we're a family of bookworms so I think it will be a good fit.

SciGuy,14 Butterfly Girl,12 Wyldchild,7 FlowerFairy,5 and Babybird,3

and RK, 13, exchange student from Japan

My Homeschooling Blog:
August 3rd, 2006, 10:00 AM
Phoenix Rising's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Well I think that the biggest and most forceful reasons that we started homeschooling (or the straw that broke the camels back) was the public schools themselves. I placed my daughter into kindergarten and had her coming home in tears every night saying that the teacher didnt like her. I felt that this was really rather off but didnt say anything until the rumours started fllying around town that this teacher favored children who parents were more well to do and those of us who were single moms etc. were looked down upon. I noticed this when I would volunteer in the classroom as she would treat me like one of her students. The final straw for that year was when we were having a parent teacher interview where she told me and my father in FRONT of my daughter that she was slow, would always struggle to learn and that she was too "unwordly". We flipped. She finished out that year of school and started grade one where she has a fantastic teacher. Part way through that year I met and married my husband and we moved to another city, again with a great teacher. The next year we had a teacher from hell. She was constantly screaming at the children and she and I got into more than one battle of wills. I rememeber that this was when we started to seriously consider homeschooling. My daughter was convinced that she was stupid but yet was getting A's and B's on her report cards. The following year, grade three, we moved back to my home town and she contracted the whopping cough and that was when we pulled her from school. FINALLY.

Other reasons that we homeschool:
  • I adore my children and want to be the main influence in their lives
  • I dont want another person teaching my girls values or the lack thereof unless I know that they co-incide with my own beliefs
  • I want to watch my daughters grow and learn
  • I want my daughter to love and cherish each other as best friends
  • I dislike the mentality and attitudes of todays youth and I refuse to have my daughters be that way
  • I feel that there are too many parents shoving their children into the care of others and not taking REAL responsibility for their children
  • I feel that education should also include Christ
  • I think that socialization is pure hogwash
I could go on and on but I dont want to bore you to death LOL

As for how we homeschool, we are very ecclectic. We do what we enjoy, teach it how we want to and our girls learn it well. Thats all that matters to me although I am a sucker for a good work book
August 3rd, 2006, 11:27 AM
persephonewillow's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
my daughter went to public school for a few years... until the end of grade one. she didn't have any troubles in kindergarten, but in grade one she started peeing her pants at least once a week. this is a child who had NEVER peed her pants, even while toilet training. so i knew something was going on.

turns out that she would ask to go to the bathroom, but the teacher would refuse to let any of the kids go until it was 'time to go' (break time, or any time not during a lesson or after their worksheets had been finished). my daughter would try to wait (because she didn't want to get into trouble by just going anyway) and would pee her pants. i told her to just go when she had to go... nobody had a right to tell her she wasn't allowed to pee. i talked to the teacher and told the teacher if my daughter had to pee, she had better not refuse her.

but she continued to refuse to let kids go to the bathroom when they had to. my daughter wasn't the only one who started wetting herself during class.

at the same time my son was going to a kindergarten readiness class. and he hated it. i would have to lie to him to be able to leave him (tell him i was going to the bathroom and then sneak out). he would be so upset with me when i came to pick him up (with reason!). he just wasn't emotionally ready, but because the system said that's when he had to start, we all felt we had no choice but to force him to be ready. kwim? it was a really really hard time on both him and me.

and then the kicker came in that my daughter got in trouble for asking the lunchroom teacher to help her open her fruit cup before she had finished her entire sandwich. she was yelled at and told nobody would help her open her fruit cup if she wasn't going to eat the 'good food' first (how fruit is any less 'good' than a sandwich, i don't know). i was so angry. everything i packed for her lunch was healthy, i didn't care what she ate first, or even if she ate it all... as long as she didn't let herself go hungry or over eat.

after talking with the principal and being told that that was just how things were done in their school - kids should've learned to hold their bathroom urges longer than my daughter could by then - i looked into putting my kids into a private school. and after learning that i could never ever afford to put both of my kids into private school, and i wouldn't have any guarantee that they would be treated any better there, we looked into homeschooling.

and that was that. we started homeschooling the next september and we all love it. we all really love how the kids can learn at their own pace without the pressure of grades and evaluations... i find if they learn things when THEY are ready to, not when they are "supposed" to, the information they take in sticks. kwim? and i am at peace knowing that neither of my kids will be yelled at for eating their lunch in the wrong order, and that when they have to use the bathroom they can without trouble. such a basic human need, it does not sit at all well with me that schools control when children can and can't fulfill it. i really felt that my kids were learning more about doing what they were told without question than anything really educational when they were in the public school system.

so far we've been using a more unschooling approach. but because my dd is getting older (10) i think i'm going to have to get a little more structured so that she's prepared if she ever decides she wants to go back into the public schools.

phew. sorry that got long lol.

and i want to add that since homeschooling, we have become so much closer as a family. we're much more understanding of each other than when we were seperated during the day. my kids are really caring children and i'd like to think homeschooling has had something to do with that... they are the first on the scene to help out when other kids get hurt outside, while most of the other children just keep doing whatever they were doing.

and the socialization thing is a bunch of hooey. my kids play with loads of other kids everyday, and kids of all ages. and they socialize with adults of all ages too because they get out into the world with me all the time to do errands, etc.
<div align="center"><span style="color:#663366">I reject your reality and substitute my own. - Adam Savage
</div>
<div align="center"></div>
August 3rd, 2006, 03:04 PM
persephonewillow I had tears in my eyes reading your post. What kind of monster of a teacher lets kids wet their pants in class on a continuing basis.

August 3rd, 2006, 07:46 PM
Wow, thank you all for sharing all of that! Persephonewillow, I think I would have throttled that teacher! Same with the teacher that called your girl "slow", myfairladies!! Sheesh, the nerve of some people!
I LOVE being surrounded by people who are as passionate about homeschooling as I am. Plus, having never had a child in public school, it makes me feel "better" to hear stories like those. Not that I'm trying to gain from your bad experiences, but sometimes I find myself thinking, "Could ps do a better job than I'm doing?"

You all are GERAT!!!

August 5th, 2006, 05:52 AM
Jenneve's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Wow! Thank you all for sharing your stories with us.

Well, my ds went to public school in K and most of 1st. K was ok, but there were things I wasn't too thrilled about. I always had the expectation of being fully involved in the classroom and field trips when my kids started K. But the reality was that while the teacher "encouraged" the parents to be involved, she didn't really want us involved in her classroom, if that makes any sense. It was almost like I was stepping on her turf and she was very territorial. When it came to field trips, we had several notes sent home stating "we have plenty of teachers and helpers going, so we don't need parents." Or "no additional children will be allowed." I didn't like that at all! First of all, if my child is going on a field trip I'm going to be there! And 2nd of all, I have 2 younger children and my dh works. What did they think I was going to do with them? Leave them home by themselves?? But we made it through K and I was really hoping 1st would be better. It only got worse. His teacher in 1st was even less enthused about parents in the classroom. She was a very nice lady, but IMO not the best teacher he could have had. I had major issues with the way she taught the class. My ds is a visual learner and he just wasn't getting it. He was doing really well with reading, but math was a nightmare! He was actually failing math and having after school tutoring once a week in 1ST GRADE! Seriously, how do you fail math in 1st grade?? We had several conferences with her and she actually suggested he may have ADHD and Dyslexia! I know that ADHD is a real condition, but I believe it's highly over-diagnosed! I did lots of reading up on ADHD and Dyslexia and my ds shows none of the signs of either. At this point, we started discussing homeschool. I was hesitant for purely selfish reasons, I'm ashamed to admit. But it still nagged at me that no matter how much I would enjoy having time to myself once all my kids were in school, I just could not deal with this school for the next 15 or so years! On top of all the academic/teacher issues, my ds started wetting his pants at least once a week at school, and sometimes more often. I was constantly taking him fresh clothes, or seeing him come home in some hideous outfit the nurse gave him. I discussed this with his teacher a few times and she told me that there are certain times that they are "allowed" to go to the bathroom. They couldn't go during class time because it would disrupt the class. (They have bathrooms IN the classroom! Plus one right across the hall!) They couldn't go during lunch because there were only 3 aides in the cafeteria and they didn't want to deal with the havoc of all these kids going to the bathroom. They couldn't go during recess because the door locks from the outside and the teachers would have to actually pry their butts off the bench and walk to the door to type in a code to unlock the door. (The bathroom is right inside the door!) They couldn't go during art, library, or PE (alternating days) because those teachers didn't want it to disrupt their class time. And by then, the day is over and it's time to go home. So someone please tell me, WHEN are these kids supposed to go to the bathroom??? I was LIVID. So I told her that I had kidney issues when I was a kid and I worry about the same issues with my ds. If he needs to go to the bathroom, let him go. The accidents didn't stop. If anything they got worse. I had my fill, so I made an appointment with our doctor to get a doctor's excuse so they would have to let him go to the bathroom whenever he needed to go. As it turns out, he was diagnosed with Juvenile Diabetes. Then began our 4 months of complete stress trying to get the teachers and nurse to follow appropriate care instructions. It just wasn't working out, and they weren't doing things the way it needed to be done. We decided that he would be better off at home with me so I can monitor him and take care of him myself. So we pulled him out in April of this year, finished up 1st grade, and we just started our 1st official school year yesterday. WHEW!!! I did not mean to ramble on like that! But there it is....our homeschool decision story. LOL
Jared 8/25/01
Justin 10/18/02

My blogs...
Fishers of Men *UPDATED 8/7/09*
Truely Scrumptious Cakes *UPDATED 7/28/09*

August 6th, 2006, 08:49 PM
It's unbelievable to me that they won't let the kids go to the bathroom!!!

Although...
I remember in 3rd grade we had a student teacher who was being a...not so nice lady....and wouldn't let me go to the bathroom...so I peed in my desk on purpose!!! (Not that I'm saying that anyone else's kids are doing that!) I remember thinking, "Well, I'll teach YOU to not let me go to the bathroom!" IYou know, it kind of makes me wonder how she deals with that NOW in her classroom. I'll bet she thought twice, at least for a few years, before denying a child the bathroom!

I was talking to a friend of mine whose daughter went to pre-kindergarten in ps last year, and she was saying that the teachers told her that her daughter was slow and things like that, blah blah blah. She said that Emily, who JUST turned 5, will say that she hates math because she's no good at math... Now, think about this...if you ask a 5-year-old, "Can you sing?" or "Can you dance?" they will usually, if they're comfortable, say, "YES!" and then show you how good they are - they think they can do anything! For a 5 year old to say, "I'm not good at math", to me, means that she heard it somewhere else and has internalized it! This makes me SO angry and sad!!

Sorry, I'm done ranting! *steps off soapbox, tripping and nearly breaking an anke in the process*

August 11th, 2006, 06:25 AM
Frelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via ICQ to Frelle Send a message via AIM to Frelle Send a message via Yahoo to Frelle
A better education for my kids
> A tailored education
> Not having to unteach bad values and ideas we disagree with
> passing on our families beliefs
> closer family ties
> Family interdependence rather then peer dependence. I
> To make my own schedule.> Appropriate learning for my kids. That is learning with there learning style and developmentaly appropriate stage in mind. I believe early accademics on children not showing readiness is serously harmful. Schools now have brought accademic expectations way down. Only last night I was browsing the teacher message boards and a preK teacher was saying her school was way too academic, in that by the end of preK the kids were suposed to be reading some words and to copy a sentence. !!!
I only see this stressing out a certain percentage of kids, leading to low self esteme when the can not meet these goals, burn out or emotional or even mental problems. Over here my daughter could start grade 1 next year if I so choosed. I believe she would be totaly crushed. Ok anough ranting on that.
> Also not holding bright kids back. I believe there statements about things leveling off by third grade is well rubbish. Whats a gifted kid suposed to do till the gifted programe begines at third grade? Mark time? I don't think most schools are catering to these kids needs at all.

AMEN to all of the above!

I adore my children and want to be the main influence in their lives
I dont want another person teaching my girls values or the lack thereof unless I know that they co-incide with my own beliefs
I want to watch my daughters grow and learn
I want my daughter to love and cherish each other as best friends
I dislike the mentality and attitudes of todays youth and I refuse to have my daughters be that way
I feel that education should also include Christ
I think that "socialization" is pure hogwash

and AMEN to this!

Ill ahve to think if there's anything I want to add.

Thank you BAM for my signature!!

August 11th, 2006, 02:18 PM
Lol EmoMom Now you'll have us all singing the halleluiah chorus!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search