School space pics

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Sassalota
  • 1 Post By Sassalota

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 18th, 2013, 03:59 PM
Veteran
I was trying to see if there was already a thread with pics of the school space. I know you don't need a space and you can get by with whatever you have but I would be interested in seeing (I am a visual learner) how things are organized and if you do have a fun space.

If we are still living in this house, I will not have a classroom but I do have a small room I will use as my office and storage. I also will use a corner of our family room as a reading area with bean bags and cozy stuff. I will just have to move stuff as I need it out to the kitchen table. Not ideal but it should work. I do plan to paint my office a fun color and try to have bright colors for a more fun learning environment. I don't have anything done yet or I would share pics.

I know it is personal but I would love if anyone would share pics of how you have things organized or even just how you store things?
November 19th, 2013, 06:57 PM
Boos Moo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I should have taken pics of our school room (yes we had a whole room for awhile) when we had it, before DS moved back in. Now we still have an extra room but I'm pregnant so that will be the babies room. Now I just have a little alcove and not everything fits and we tend to do a lot at the kitchen table and at the computer. I miss my school room. Glad DS is here, but still miss my room.

November 20th, 2013, 05:59 PM
Veteran
After I posted that, I went on pinterest and there are tons of pics and they are so cute! Some kids get to sit in like recliners and lounge chairs! It is so awesome. I just think it is important to have a space that is conducive to free thinking and creativity.

Google Image Result for http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_8lmIIa0-Kqg/TDuEjdX3PLI/AAAAAAAAHOU/94fhwpj-kjw/s640/homeschoolroom4.jpg

Wow is that a long link? I hope it works. That is one I found I love! I have a SMALL room and it is not square so that makes it even more weird. I would think it is like 8 by 5 by 4? Yep three walls....weird. But I think I could do something like this plus a writing desk for myself. There is a huge closet that will be nice. I could put a chalk board on the wall. For large projects we could use the kitchen table.

I don't know for some reason having a space that is special for school just makes me feel like my child will receive it better. Like if they have their own desk and chair that will make them feel special.
November 21st, 2013, 06:52 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We have one common room that's about 15x30; it is the everything room. We eat, lounge, and study in this room. Birthday parties are in this room. There is a mishmash of storage, one sofa, one recliner, a round table for 4, a toddler table for 2, a plastic folding table, and a TV. Work is done mostly at the dining table, but sometimes elsewhere. It will never end up in a magazine, but it works for us.
November 21st, 2013, 08:30 AM
Boos Moo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oh that is cute. DD has a desk still in the little alcove, but most days she prefers to do her work at the table. So I keep one of those rolling totes under the table to keep our daily stuff in.

November 21st, 2013, 08:46 AM
Frackel's Avatar DOh!
My kids work anywhere they feel like working. Usually it's in the living room. Sometimes it's in their bedrooms. We do a lot outside too though.
I've never really wanted a specific space. Personally I feel that anywhere they are comfortable, they'll be far more receptive to whatever they are learning. So, anything I can do to help facilitate that, works for us. We do have a shelving unit that has a lot of our books, supplies and tons of other misc stuff though.

I know some kids, and parents, prefer to have a specific spot, it just doesn't work well for us. Ds often works hanging upside down off the couch. It works for him, so I don't complain(wouldn't anyway though, it's hilarious to watch). If they were struggling, or even having any difficulty staying on task, I'd have them move. So far, so good. (minus the few minor issues here and there, and what kid doesn't have them now and again, regardless of where they're working, lol)
November 27th, 2013, 01:52 AM
Spider123's Avatar Veteran
I have a big kitchen that worked really well for seatwork with my olders during middle and high school, because I could be available for them but also do my own thing (cooking) instead of hovering. My older ds was very kinetic, so he did some of his lessons orally while he ran around in the back yard and called answers to me through an open window if the weather was good or took laps around the house on his skates if it wasn't.

I do a lot of snuggle-on-the-couch activities with my little ds and move around a lot, so a typical lesson session might look something like like:

read aloud on the couch
Math and handwriting at the kitchen table
Yoga on the living room floor
reading and Latin on the couch
drawing at the kitchen table
outdoor time
craft project at the kitchen table
read aloud in the bedroom

and you might very well mistake my entire home for a school or daycare because of all the toys and books and board games and kid artwork and kid-friendly electronics.
November 27th, 2013, 12:36 PM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider123 View Post
My older ds was very kinetic, so he did some of his lessons orally while he ran around in the back yard and called answers to me through an open window if the weather was good or took laps around the house on his skates if it wasn't.

Omgosh. I can see my son doing this (and he is only 9 months but busy!) and this is the reason I feel called to homeschool. My husband thinks my son will be deprived but if you explain to your kid that they wont be able to do this but instead they have to sit in one seat for 6 hours, I can't see any kids that would prefer school.

To anyone else this would look chaotic but I think it inspires genus. I know I get inspired by being active. Thanks for sharing.

Boos Moo- I love the rolling tote idea. So simple but I wouldn't have thought of that. I was thinking old school file cabinets. So glad I asked.
Spider123 likes this.

Last edited by Sassalota; November 27th, 2013 at 12:38 PM.
November 27th, 2013, 12:42 PM
Veteran
Spider 123-

What do you use for Latin? I am teaching myself as a hobby now to get ahead because I do want my children to know Latin.

I am just using Wheelocks text and workbook. I need some practice with hearing the pronunciation. I am listening to youtube but IDK. I think I need more.

Just curious if you had a secret love for Latin.
November 27th, 2013, 12:48 PM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider123 View Post

and you might very well mistake my entire home for a school or daycare because of all the toys and books and board games and kid artwork and kid-friendly electronics.
I love this because it is how you live and I would love to just make everyone room in the house another learning space (plus I think it wastes time to be a neataphob) but I have a hubby who HATES clutter and he is not sold 100% on homeschooling and I can see if things are all over the house, he would use that as an excuse as to why homeschooling is not working. Little messes stress him out. Which is funny because I am not organized by nature and I am not one of those people who have a place for everything. But I think in order to sell my husband I am going to have to have a special spot for everything to look neat. Blah! So boring.
Spider123 likes this.
November 27th, 2013, 02:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassalota View Post
Spider 123-

What do you use for Latin? I am teaching myself as a hobby now to get ahead because I do want my children to know Latin.

I am just using Wheelocks text and workbook. I need some practice with hearing the pronunciation. I am listening to youtube but IDK. I think I need more.

Just curious if you had a secret love for Latin.
I'm using this: Getting Started With Latin

with my kindergartener and I love it! It's mostly open-and-go, but I do simplify some of the grammar on the fly if it's a brand new concept for him. He may not be able to find the subject and the verb in "The oatmeal was cooling on the counter" but he has no trouble at all finding them in "Mr. Morton walks." so that's good enough to move on to the next lesson as far as I'm concerned.

If you have a Kindle, the free sample is long enough for you to get a taste of it and see what your kids think. There really isn't any reason to start this early other than the fact that it's fun and a part of our family culture and it feels rude to me to exclude him. My olders started in first and third grade and there isn't that much difference in how much they retained. They're 24 and 21 now. Most people start in third grade.

We use classical pronounciation rather than ecclesiastic and I'm sure we make mistakes too.

Wheelocks is great. We used that in High School and I felt so stupid when I found out that what I used in elementary, which was the Newest Hottest Coolest must-buy-new curriculum at the time, was nothing more than watered down Wheelocks that still required darned near as much teacher prep as if I'd just bought the real Wheelocks and used common sense to stretch it out over several years.

My love of Latin isn't very secret any more, but back in '98 very few people had heard of the Classical method and it had major shock value. If anyone questioned my ability to homeschool or my kids' asynchronous development, they could just spew out pretty much anything in Latin and people would think they were Grant Colfaxes in the making.

Quidquid latine dictum, altum videtur, lol.

If I wanted my Little to be able to say things like, "This party is boring. Can we go home now?" the way my Bigs did, though, I'd want him to use Gaelic or something more obscure.
November 27th, 2013, 02:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassalota View Post
Omgosh. I can see my son doing this (and he is only 9 months but busy!) and this is the reason I feel called to homeschool. My husband thinks my son will be deprived but if you explain to your kid that they wont be able to do this but instead they have to sit in one seat for 6 hours, I can't see any kids that would prefer school.

To anyone else this would look chaotic but I think it inspires genus. I know I get inspired by being active. Thanks for sharing.

Boos Moo- I love the rolling tote idea. So simple but I wouldn't have thought of that. I was thinking old school file cabinets. So glad I asked.
The skates were a miracle for algebra. He was totally blocked up until we figured it out, but the magic bullet was for me to write the problem on a whiteboard and have him tell me the first step, then do a lap around the house, and he'd know what the next step was by the time he got back to the kitchen. Three problems was usually enough for him for one day, but he retained far more than he would have sitting at a table trying to grind out 20-30 problems to "earn" the reward of using his skates or being punished by having his skates taken away until he ground them out.

When the time comes, I highly recommend that you get your kiddo a trampoline if at all possible. I couldn't for financial and landlord reasons, but I've heard other parents of kinetic learners rave about how much it helps. He might also do better sitting on a yoga ball instead of a regular chair. I'm going to try that with ds2 when he's old enough for more seatwork.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search