Iam not what you think...

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 2nd, 2006, 06:10 PM
Phoenix Rising's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Despite the fact that I am enuthsiastic about this upcoming year, I want to let everyone know that I didnt plan ANYTHING last year and we basically unschooled. It made my planning personality feel soooo guilty!

I don't know if this is going to assist anyone at all, but here is how I planned out the year (and mainly because I have a 9th grader who will likely return to school for 10th so I have to be SURE that she completes everything!)

1. Get out your calendar and decide how many days of schooling you want to do. Determine your breaks. Are you going to be taking the same time off as the other children in PS? Are you planning on a 4 week on, one week off rotation? Will you school in the summer?

Once you have that basically down, determine how many days you will have available for schooling. Remember, if you miss a day for illness, a fieldtrip etc. you can always catch it up later on which is why I like the 4 week rotating schedule... I just add a school day on the week off and then I don't have to stress about it and your children won't be freaking because none of the "other kids" (in PS) are doing school because they are on their break.

2. Once you have determine how many days will be alloted for schooling, get out your curriculum. Go through it one book at a time and determine how many lessons/chapters etc you will have to do each day in order to complete the curriculum in the alloted amount of days that you have given yourself. For spelling, its a general rule that you will do a lesson a week. For math, take the number of lessons divided by the number of school days and it will tell you how many lessons you need to do per day. You could also do this according to page numbers or what have you.

3. We do science and geography on a unit study basis. I just picked a month and said "ok on this month we are studying the human body. That gives them a good three weeks of the human body. Do activities/experiments one day a week and for the rest of the time get them books, computer games and videos that they can watch during quiet time or what have you. They will be learning and you won't have to do a thing. For Geography we simply study the basics of one country a month. Where they are located, the language that is spoke, ethnic foods and music etc. Again, get books, CD's and videos from the library.

4. Once you know how many pages/chapters/lessons you need to do per day its easy enough to plan the year because you already know what has to be accomplished. I don't do dates when I am planning but rather the number of days. This way, if Ashley throws up on Taelor on day #32, we just declare it a sick day and then the following day becomes day #32. I don't feel guilty, my schedule isnt a nightmare etc.

5. I never schedule appointments before 1:00 pm. If I can't do it after lunch and after schooling then I just schedule it for another day. I don't answer the door or the phone during "school" hours.

6. Save all the hands on stuff for the afternoons! Piano lessons and practice, computers, reading etc can be done in the afternoon after all the book work stuff is done. Get the dreary stuff out of the way first!

7. Music: music can be incorporated easily into your geography lessons. If you want your children to study the classical composers, do one a week or one a month. Post a picture of the composer on the wall. Listen to his music. Dance, draw what the music makes you feel, play an instrument along with the music. Talk about rhythm as you clap to the beat. Kids that are little don't need to know about half notes and whole notes... they just need to learn how to appreciate the sounds that an instrument makes and the way that it makes them feel. Talk about the composer here and there... tell them about their lives.

I think thats it for now... I may add to this later on
August 2nd, 2006, 08:27 PM
persephonewillow's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
thank you

i'm really not good at organization, so your post helps me out a LOT i especially like the idea of doing a county a month.

(and we don't answer the phone or door when we're doing school stuff either - and they both go a lot because people know we're home, very few take into consideration that we're probably doing homeschool stuff and would like to be left alone to do it).
<div align="center"><span style="color:#663366">I reject your reality and substitute my own. - Adam Savage
</div>
<div align="center"></div>
August 5th, 2006, 10:09 PM
dingledine's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to dingledine Send a message via Yahoo to dingledine
People don't call me much, but I think this year I will NOT answer the phone. No one stops by, so I am off the hook here. (My social situation must suck eh.). Thanks for your tips. I like the idea of hanging up the composer. We are going to start doing that stuff this year, finally. We have been playing catch-up from his time in public school, and this year he will be at/above his level for the most part. I hope! He will be a 6th grader this year, so it is time to step up the pace. I NEED to finally be organized. I was organized more toward the end of the year last year and I am going to do it better this year.

Jewelry for yourself, or for a friend. Breastfeeding aides, beautiful bracelets, earings and more.

Store.beadsarebeautiful.com

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search