Do you work? Like for pay? LOL

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By ZZ0607
  • 1 Post By Spider123
  • 1 Post By Frackel

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 7th, 2013, 02:41 PM
Veteran
So I know homeschooling is busy and I am wondering how many of you work for like a job job that pays in addition to your full time gig at home?

Do you know people who work and homeschool?

I am not planning on working but if I do have to work I am thinking I would just get a job working evenings at the library so my kids can come with and study.
December 7th, 2013, 06:44 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Nope! I believe many people I know would think we were nuts to be single income, if they knew what that income was. Part of my work here is to stretch our money a far as possible (mainly by making things people usually buy). On top of losing that, there's travel time, wardrobe additions, and possibly meals. I might as well stay home where I want to be! Thankfully, DH is in complete agreement; I know that's not always the case. Also, I'm not the only one pulling weight around here. I have conscripted laborers.

I love that you acknowledge the work keeping [a] household requires. I'm so used to people around me referring exclusively to paid employment as "work" that your reference is novel, and very nice.
KMH and Spider123 like this.

Last edited by ZZ0607; December 13th, 2013 at 07:04 PM.
December 13th, 2013, 04:23 PM
Spider123's Avatar Veteran
A lot of homeschoolers work outside the home these days. I'm trying not to be one of them right now, lol.

It's not ideal, but it is doable. I worked nights when ds1 was a teen and used MySpace messaging to check in on him and answer any questions about his independant work and we did the one on one stuff before I went to work. I was able to take ds2 with me in a sling and then find some work at home gigs that brought in enough for us to live, but not buy hundreds of dollars worth of stuff from the Rainbow Resource catalogue.

If there's a dad in the picture it would probably be easier in some ways and harder in others. You could stagger your work schedules to avoid or minimize your use of non-family care providers, but of course you need to nurture your marriage if you want it to last, and that takes time and energy too.

It's worth it if you need to work to afford groceries and rent/mortgage, but definitely not worth your time just to buy schmancy curricula or drive your RV around the country to go to all the cool conferences.
ZZ0607 likes this.
December 15th, 2013, 12:29 PM
Frackel's Avatar DOh!
I work from home, I have for years. I do graphic design, editing for a few sites, DJ, and design things for virtual worlds/online games.
That's one way, probably the only, in which my insomnia is actually beneficial. I work at night mostly, but some of it is done during the day too or on weekends.

It's not a big paycheck, but it covers some essentials the kids and I need here and there. Not all of what I do is done for profit. In fact, a lot of it, isn't. A lot of what I do is for various charities. It gives me something to do, and I enjoy it. Working outside of the home isn't really an option. Partly because of where I live and partly because I'm legally blind-which comes with all sorts of limitations.

I definitely wouldn't work just to cover curriculum, or school cost(s). I'm a bit hard headed when it comes to the cost of education. In that I believe, it's beyond overpriced, from 99% of those who provide it, and I refuse to support them. But that is a rant better saved for another day, haha.
ZZ0607 likes this.
December 15th, 2013, 02:11 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
I work from home part-time as an auditor (I worked for the company before I had kids and tried to quit...they convinced me to stay on). It is really a blessing because I stay current in my field and get to use my brain and feel like I'm using my college degrees. The hours are flexible and my boss is super understanding...I work as much or as little as I want and he's okay with that. The money is a nice bonus, but I would do it for free just to have something to call my own that doesn't involve the kids.

Working outside the house isn't an option here, either. DH is military, so his hours are crazy and he's gone a lot...I have to be able to hold down the fort!

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (4), Abigail (2) and George (2)

December 23rd, 2013, 03:07 PM
No, but I need to in the near future. I hopefully will work from home.
February 9th, 2014, 09:36 AM
spicymustard's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Nope. I taught in public schools until number 3 was born in 2/13. Then I quit. The timing was perfect to begin homeschooling my kindergartner for this school year.

February 11th, 2014, 12:54 PM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by spicymustard View Post
Nope. I taught in public schools until number 3 was born in 2/13. Then I quit. The timing was perfect to begin homeschooling my kindergartner for this school year.
So you were a teacher and taught other people's kids but now you don't send your own kids to school? Is there a main reason or just a bunch of little reasons? Or do you just like teaching?

I taught college and I just saw how dumb and dumber the kids were getting every year. It seemed with each new batch that was more and more exposed to no child, they didn't know how to think. My older than average students who hadn't read in 20 years were better than the fresh out of high school ones. That is one of the main reasons I want to homeschool. Also my kid has allergies to foods and I don't want him to have stand out and be "that kid" that has to play by himself all the time while all the other kids eat cake.
February 18th, 2014, 09:06 AM
spicymustard's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Its a combo of all those reasons.

I don't like teaching to the test. When I got transferred to the middle school I was disgusted by the test focus. The only focus. I don't like how they are taking away recess and more age appropriate activities from kindergartners. I also don't like the peer influences. I could easily see that the peer group had a huge factor over what path the kids would take (I taught 5-8, pivotal years for peer influence). I also do like teaching and thought that homeschool could be a really awesome experience and what is better than 1:1 or eventually 1:3 in my house since I have three kiddos.

As far as food allergies I've had kids with allergies and kids with diabetes and although I kept a close eye on them they weren't with us for 100% of the day so I can see why it could be a concern.

June 28th, 2014, 11:03 AM
JenniferinFL's Avatar Veteran
I work two part time jobs (55 hours a week) and my husband works one full time job, around 50 hours a week.

That's actually the reason our daughter doesn't have a sibling. If I could find one full time job, we would try to have another.

One of my jobs is retail, the other is in a library. I wouldn't count on being able to bring your kids to study if you work in a library. I'm not allowed to have visitors at the library. My daughter has never been to my place of employment while I'm working. It's simply not allowed. I was hoping it would be a friendlier workplace, but it really isn't. The positive is that it's easy to bring her home books as I'm already there.

My husband and I work opposite schedules, so they are asleep when I get home. I may see him for 10 minutes at a time awake, but, generally I only get to spend time with him every other weekend. But, our daughter doesn't have to go to daycare. I do the serious schooling, he does book reading and art.

July 4th, 2014, 10:04 AM
Super Mommy
DH and I both drive school buses. It is great because I can bring my kids with me. He plans on going back to school next year to get a better job, but I plan on continuing driving a bus. I love my job and I still have most of the day free.
Gavyn & Kendric - 8
Joseph - 18 months
Step-mom to:
Kiersten - 8

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search