Seton Anyone?

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 7th, 2013, 02:14 PM
Veteran
I was trying to see in past threads if there was anything on Seton. I see there are many families here who do Christian programming but I haven't seen if anyone is doing specific Catholic Schools. I know there are many. I know Seton is the biggest and you can do it online or independent.

Just curious if anyone has any experience as it is expensive.

Pros I like: It is all set up and accredited. My husband is not 100% with homeschooling but when I explained that it is accredited like any other private school and that all the transcripts and everything are the same, he was ok with that. I like that there are teachers to help you with all the subjects and that the name is very recognizable and Seton students have gotten into most of the ivy league schools (not that I care about ivy league but it is nice to know it is competitive).

I also like the community as you have thousands of kids and parents going through the same thing and there is tons of support.

Cons: I want a faith based education and this may sound bad but it seems a little OVER religious. Like every book is about religion even the spelling and math. I don't want to go over kill. Also if I do that program then I can't sub in my own books if I think something is not a good match for my child.

IDK. I guess this is sort of the same question as that post about independent or online but this is a private expensive online.
December 8th, 2013, 04:31 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm not sure I've heard of them, but I wanted to say I hope you find the information you're looking for!
December 11th, 2013, 04:52 PM
Regular
I use Seton. I've used it for around 5 years. I placed my girls into a private school for a year around 2 years ago and discovered that my kids were 1 1/2 years ahead of the other kids in their grades. It is a great program, but it does require a lot of work. I don't mind the ultra religious books because we are Catholic and it is important that my girls truly understand their faith. I discovered that I truly don't understand my Catholic faith because I only went to church and attended my 50 minute CCD classes as a kid. I'm learning about the Catholic faith in more detail with my girls.

The big con for me is the lack of choice for book reports. My girls love reading and would love to choose their own books. I can understand why Seton chooses the books, it's because the teachers that grade them need to be familiar with the books. I still feel they should have a bigger book list to pick from.

My daughters are currently in the 5th and 7th grades. We plan to use Seton through high school. I regret leaving the program, because it has been difficult for my girls to catch-up in a few subjects.

If you have any questions please ask me.

Nancy
December 13th, 2013, 08:39 AM
Veteran
Nancy- thank you! I was looking at Catholic Heritage too as that would be cheaper but everyone says Seton is the way to go even if you don't pay the tuition after the first child and just use the hand me downs for the next ones. I have also heard that a lot of parents don't use all the worksheets and materials because it is just so much.

Do you enroll each kid or do you recycle material?

I read that book "Catholic Homeschooling" written by the president of Seton and ever since then I feel so called to homeschool but I have seen kids I know lose their faith after going to catholic school because it was pushed too much on them. That is why I think homeschool might be better because we could just live it and not be preachy about it.

I agree I only went to CCD but my mother really taught me the faith but what the kids get in those programs is not much. My husband went through CCD too and was an alter boy and he doesn't know anything about his faith. It is really sad. I think homeschooling would be good for our whole family.

How many kids do you have in Seton? ages? How much time does it take?

Thanks for responding!
December 16th, 2013, 07:20 AM
Regular
I have two daughters. I started my oldest with Seton in 2nd grade. She attended a Catholic school for Kindergarten and 1st grade and we moved to Virginia and couldn't afford the tuition of a Catholic school in this area. I put her in public school for 5 weeks and pulled her out due to the very easy curriculum. I enrolled her in Seton's program for 2nd, 3rd, and 4th grade, and currently 7th grade. I enrolled my other daughter in 1st, 2nd, and currently 5th grade. I placed my girls in a private christian school in 3rd and 5th grade, which didn't work out well. I homeschooled last year 4th and 6th grades using the Seton books, but I didn't reenroll them until this year.

I reused the books from my oldest daughter for my 2nd daughter. If you're enrolled in the program Seton will deduct the cost of the books you don't need from the tuition cost. I save around $60 each year. I don't reuse all the books, mainly I reuse the readers, science, history, art, music, and some of the religion and math books.

I feel it is worth the cost to enroll them both into the program. The program covers all the books which is around $200 per student if you purchase them all separately. You get the entire lesson plan for the year which is set up for each quarter and is broken down to what your child should learn each day. You can call Seton for help when you need it. Seton also has online instructional videos. I love the diagramming videos. The library of instructional videos isn't large, but they are adding to it every year. They also provide the CAT test as part of the tuition fee too.

I personally feel that the cost of enrollment is worth it. I paid around $1000 for two children this year, and it would cost me $11,000 to place them in a Catholic school. When you look at the costs of public schools it is also a bargain to use Seton. The public schools in our area charge a book fee each year which can range from $50 to $150 per year depending on the grade. Then you have to buy school supplies which can range from $100 to $200 per year. You also are charged for field trips, which can range from $25 to $100 per year. These are just a few costs from using the public schools. This isn't including the school clothes that I would purchase each year and school/sport activity fees. Public school can become expensive.

When my girls were in 1st to 3rd grade it took around 2 1/2 to 3 hours of work per day and 4th to 5th around 4 hours per day. My oldest daughter has to spend around 5 to 6 hours with her 7th grade studies.

I feel that the girls having a transcript of their progress is good too and part of the Seton program. When my girls graduate from the high school program they will have a transcript and a diploma from an accredited private Catholic school. You can also make your own transcript and diploma if you decide not to use a program. I've known many families that have done that.

I hope that I answered your questions well, and if you have more questions please ask.

Nancy
December 16th, 2013, 10:33 AM
Veteran
That does help a lot. I like the idea of having "professionals" to guide me because I feel really lost with the process and I want to know that my kids are getting want they need. I really liked school in the traditional sense (the social part was hard for me) especially college but my husband hates to read and is very hands on and so school was hard for him (social was easy for him though because he played sports) but I see a lot of my husbands hyperness in my child and I think forcing him to sit in a classroom for 6 hours a day would kill his spirit. I think kids still need lots of unstructured free time.

I also like the idea of if I can't understand something I can call a teacher who can help me. I also like the idea when it comes to discipline that if they are not doing their work, it is not just mom who says they have to do it but I have a real teacher and school to be accountable too but I am still in complete control of everything my child is exposed too.

I used to teach at two colleges and when I first started I spent 40 hours a week planning just 1 class and so I know that it takes tons of time to research and get organized so I really like that everything is there for me to use.

Our catholic school is really cheap here. I think it is like 2k for the first kid and maybe 1500 for the second so that is still an option but then you add in uniforms and lunches and I am just not sure I want my kid to be gone 6 hours a day. I know all the teachers who teach at the schools too and most of them are not Catholic or very lukewarm Catholic. Most of the teachers are just there because they can't get a job in the public school so it is like the same education.

Have you heard anything about how Seton will use the "common core" or whatever that new program is called that says 2+2 doesn't always equal 4?
December 19th, 2013, 06:40 AM
Regular
Seton isn't aligned with common core and they don't plan on aligning with common core. They posted a statement about common core on the Seton online site and in the Seton Magazine.
December 23rd, 2013, 02:03 PM
I have used them before and like them. They have a great special needs program.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search