Hi there...

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By Frackel

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 23rd, 2013, 11:21 PM
jennmommyoftwobeauties's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to jennmommyoftwobeauties Send a message via Yahoo to jennmommyoftwobeauties
I have been meaning to come in here and post yet have become sidetracked a lot of the time. I am Jenn and mom to two. My oldest is almost 7 and he has many issues with his behavior (ADHD) so I opted out of the sending him to school. Although I have received a lot of backlash I have tried to look into what I thought was best for him. Being he has a child that requires a lot of attention (one on one) I felt that the better choice was to do homeschooling.

I have asked many people and although I am sure that his age and grade not much is required but I felt that even if going beyond the grade level it would be more beneficial. I have asked around to others what a child of his grade really needs to know (not the extra stuff that others believe) and what sites I am able to go to in order to get practice sheets and all the things I would need to teach him.

We have had a lot of success but I feel that there is something he is lacking. I was told that time is NOT taught to kids in first grade so that is not required, but I truly wanted to get him into telling time so that is not something we have to push him into later.

So first question...what does a child in the first grade need to know??

1) how to count to 100
2) how to count to 100 by 3's
3) how to count to 100 by 5's
4) how to count to 100 by 10's
5) sight words (any specifics cause I have an entire deck of cards but some seemed a bit complex)
6) addition
7) subtraction
8) reading

These are the things I know off the top of my head although I believe that specific types of science and history are needed as well. Maybe some art and literature...and not too complex but some actual sentence structure and building. Am I wrong in these? Do these come later?

If you can direct me to what is required versus what is desired and then point me in a direction of where I can go to find materials to benefit this learning I would greatly appreciate it.

Another issue we face is that he is not interested in a few things. I can teach him just about anything and he is good with that, but once we pull out the sight words, books, and sounding out letters to read he absolutely locks up and wants truly nothing to do with that. Is there some method to use for kids who have ADHD and if so what are they? I have tried to do what I can but he just flat out will not pay attention to do these things. He loves to do math and all that but yet another thing he hates are these worksheets that I have that mention coloring all things that add up to such and such number this color. He does not want to color it. He seems to want to do things his own way. This is part of the reason why I did not want to send him to school because I knew the challenges a teacher would face with him.

Any help that anyone can provide would most definitely be appreciated. I really need to get on the ball and push to him the curriculum.

TIA
December 24th, 2013, 06:47 AM
TreeTog's Avatar Love is in the Air!
Ryan is 6yo and in a PPCD program at school with inclusion to Kindy. I supplement his public schooling on breaks and when he is sick. The public school is doing sight words, reading, counting to 100, and basic math with manipulatives for him.
I homeschool my 3yo. I work at his pace and play towards his interests. Liam is into super heroes and firefighters right now. I read to Liam. Liam has ADHD. Both of my kids have sensory issues.

Good Luck!

December 27th, 2013, 03:57 PM
Veteran
I don't have any knowledge of this but I just wanted to jump on and say welcome and not to worry about any backlash. Surround yourself with like-minded people and forget about what other people think.

I actually use backlash as a gage for knowing that I am doing the right thing. LOL. If I don't have backlash I tend to think I am missing something. LOL. I like to swim upstream though.

Good luck
December 27th, 2013, 07:02 PM
I will be back to reply to you other questions about what to teach and when. Ryan hates to color. He loves math and hates sounding words out, He likes to guess words.

Leslie

December 28th, 2013, 05:29 AM
jennmommyoftwobeauties's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to jennmommyoftwobeauties Send a message via Yahoo to jennmommyoftwobeauties
This most definitely sounds like my son. No matter how hard I try to get him to sound words out he turns to me and whines telling me how that is not something he wants to do. I cannot help but get frustrated knowing that he can do it and he is VERY smart yet wants nothing to do with things.

I am trying to get an idea on some extra curriculum as well.
December 28th, 2013, 11:09 AM
How To Use | Easy Peasy All-in-One Homeschool

Do you want free stuff or pay for it? Do you want to work on computer or printables? Do you want a detailed schedule or just ideas?

One more thing - Common core or non-common core?

Leslie

December 29th, 2013, 01:50 AM
Frackel's Avatar DOh!
Hi there!
TreeTog posted the link I was going to post, lol. That site, even if you don't use it, can at least give you a good idea of what "typically" is taught in 1st grade It's a great resource.
If reading things, and sounding words out becomes frustrating, I honestly don't recommend pushing it. That, will often, lead to a serious dislike of a subject and may not be the easiest thing to come back from. I also don't recommend looking for routes that work best specifically for kids with ADHD. Not because they're inherently bad, but because two children are never truly alike. Even when they share similarities, they can be quite opposite. Their reasoning for disliking something is, also, likely not remotely the same. Of course they can't usually tell us that, and no "expert" would ever dare tell you that. But I've been up and down this road a million times and most recommendations often given for kids "with X", are rarely effective for my kiddos(or any I know). So take advice you're given with a grain of salt-including my own.

Perhaps you can go a different route with this subject. Does your son like games? If so, that might be worth looking into. There are a million different games, both free and ones you can purchase. They have a nifty way of teaching children, without children realizing they're learning. I'm particularly fond of them. Even for subjects my kids aren't struggling with, they can be amazingly helpful. Plus, it's different, and sometimes different is good. Games help reinforce not only knowledge, but skill and also abilities. For a child struggling with something, nothing is more deflating to the ego, than getting things wrong. Unless you count disappointing mom, teacher, whatever. That's just as deflating, though, of course, it's not intentional on your part. They do still realize when they've got something wrong, and no matter how much you positively reinforce that it's ok to be wrong, we all know that being wrong isn't what people want(subconsciously anyway). It's human instinct, and perfectly normal.
Games can help instill that "ok, Ive got this" or "ok, I got that wrong, but I bet if I try again, I can do better". Sometimes it still takes a while. But if you can find a game, or bunch of games, that you don't necessarily have to sit with him and do, you may find he enjoys it more, and gets further than he does with your own instruction. I don't mean any of that to sound condescending and I hope it doesn't. I just know how frustrating it can be, for you and your child, when things just aren't going so well. A different approach just might be the ticket to getting on track. it might not too, but it's definitely worth a shot. Games that can be played independently I have personally found to be best. Plus, it gives us both a break from each other, lol.
Maybe some of these will help(yes, I know some are at more of a pre-k to k level, but it NEVER hurts to reinforce what we already know!!)

Reading Games - PrimaryGames - Play Free Kids Games Online
FREE Language Arts Games | Reading | Spelling | Punctuation «
Arcademic Skill Builders - Fun Educational Games for Kids
Reading/Sight Words - Interactive Learning Sites for Education
(this site has quite a few, I gave the link to reading/sight words, but check them all!)
4You4Free - Free Educational Games Online
FOR KIDS - FREE Language Arts Games & Activities for Kids PK-12
Word Games Online for Kids, Teachers & Parents - FunBrain.com
Free Interactive English Games - Fun Learning Activities for Students
Games Zone - online English language games (learn English through games)
Free Math, English programs, games, worksheets for grades K-8 - Dositey.com educational site
MrDonn.org - Language Arts - Free Powerpoints, Games, Activities, Lesson Plans
ABCya.com | Kids Educational Computer Games & Activities
Vocabulary Games, English Vocabulary Word Games
Educational Games | Free Online Learning Games for Kids | Knowledge Adventure
Free Kids Educational Games - Learning is Fun!
Free Online Educational Games for Kids - LeapFrog
Learning Games For Kids
Fun web-based learning games - math, animals, geography, preschool and more
Learning Games
Free learning games - Sumdog
GAMEUP
Kids Games
Kids Games - Prongo.com has free educational games for kids
Free Online Kids Learning Games | Online Kids Games | Cool Math Games for Kids | Reading and Writing Skill for ESL/EFL Learner
Educational Games

Ok that's a good list to get you started. I can add more later if you like
December 29th, 2013, 01:50 AM
Frackel's Avatar DOh!
It double posted, lol. No clue why

Last edited by Frackel; December 29th, 2013 at 01:53 AM.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search