Well, I'm getting my act together!!

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 3rd, 2006, 07:31 AM
KarateMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to KarateMom
Yippee!!

Now, this may not sound like much, but I got a planner/calendar (it's actually a college academic planner) so that I can write my lesson plan in that. I used it to look at the days available for the next school year, counting in days off here and there, holidays and such, so that I could figure out when we needed to start. I decided to start three weeks from yesterday, so now I can begin to order the things that I need.

We're going to finish out the kindergarten math curriculum that I bought last January because we only got halfway through it - the downside of ordering a curriculm with 160 lessons halfway through the year! I'm going to skim through it and make sure we cover the new things and skip over the things that she knows already. It's a spiral curriculum, so there's a lot of review and I figure that we can skip a lot of that. I hope to get that done in a month, at the most, so that we can order the 1st grade math.

I'm ordering Horizons Spelling & Grammar today, as well as a couple of unit study-type books on the human body and the senses because that's what I'm going to do for our first Science study.

I'm going to continue in The Ordinary Parents Guide to Teaching Reading, so I don't need to purchase anything for reading.

Ummmm, I think that's it! So, while I don't yet have each day planned out, I've got a framework of what I want to do!! And this makes me feel SO relieved!!!!

Yippee!!

You're never fully dressed without a SMILE!!

August 3rd, 2006, 03:17 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Glad your happy with your plan.

Ok I asked this on another planing thread, but the computer ate it So I am going to ask it again here. Hope you all don't think this is a totaly dumb question lol

But why do you (or anyone) need to count days? Devide up lessons? Have set start and stop days? Why does it matter your half way through? I'm thinking I must have a totaly diffrent mind set to these things.

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
August 3rd, 2006, 07:36 PM
Well, I imagine the counting of days comes because many states here in the U.S. require a certain amount of days of school. In my state the "requirement" is 150 days, although they don't require any documentation which makes it really easy! But, even though they don't require that I keep track officially, I do it so that I know that I'm meeting the requirement. Also, if I can reach my attendance goal before June, I can take a big chunk of time off in the summer.

As for the start and stop days, that just gives me peace of mind - knowing when we're going to begin so I can really get my act together as far as planning goes, and knowing when we're going to end so that I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. I haven't yet sat down and said, "OK, on this day we're going to do this, this, and this lesson", and I may not ever do that for this year. I'm much better at planning "on the fly", sometime in the morning, 30 minutes before we start school! Now, this will most likely change when we add more subjects.

Does that make sense? What sort of regulations are there down under?

August 4th, 2006, 03:45 AM
Lisa, every state here has it's own regulations like yours does. Queensland, where I am from is probably about the worst place to hs in. They estemate about 85% of homeschool here do so without 'dispensation', and I plan joining them. Not that this sets easy with me, but the other options are not acceptable to me. We had a whole review done on hs up here only last year. There saying if ever a family was taken to court here it may bring up the fact that hs laws are against the united nations and if tried in the high court may be found invalid. http://www.optionality.net/mag/jun95a.html
The only thing to come off the review was the minister admited hs were doing well. Then they droped the fee asociated with distance ed in the hopes more would pick that option. Basicly there 'fee' was a $1000 fine if you wanted to use it while resideing in a school district! I hear it's now going to be re-enstated!
There are three options to getting a dispensation which all boil down to teacher oversite. 1. Be a regesterd teacher (lucky them) 2. Use a Gvt approved curriculm. As far as I know (could be more now) that includes 'distance ed' which is ps at home and 'ACE' (ah no thanks and no thanks) I think these are approved because they go back to a teacher for marking. (just read through my own link and it looks like BJU has been added to those) 3. Write up your own and have a regesterd teacher check it and sign it. (yer I have a handy teacher friend in the cupboard) The forth option which isn't actualy a hs option, is to enrol as a privet school student, which is an umbrella school. The Gvt dosn't recognize umbrella schools as umbrella schools but rather as privet schools and it takes no notice of privetly enrolled children be that even in another state or country. But this is rather costly. Hopfuly I wont be forced to shelling out for an umbrella school.

August 4th, 2006, 04:34 AM
Eye-she-wah-wah! That's a LOT of hoops to jump through! So, basically if you homeschool without dispensation, you can be taken to court? Do you just try to "fly under the radar", so to speak, if you don't get dispensation?

August 4th, 2006, 04:58 AM
Yes and yes. I think the one thing in our favour apart from the fact the laws may be invalid is there are so many of us. I have read the figure is guessed at 20,000 in QLD hs without dispensation.

August 4th, 2006, 06:50 AM
Shery's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
That's great! It's good to have some direction!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search