A Beka Language

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 3rd, 2006, 12:01 PM
Shery's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Has anyone used the A Beka Language Arts? I used McGraw-Hill last year for all three of mine, but am having a difficult time getting the books this year. Last year, they already had them in school when I pulled them out. I was able to keep all of their workbooks when I pulled them out, so I already had them. Anyway, I am looking to change and considering A Beka. Has anyone used it for Language, and if so, how do you like it?
August 3rd, 2006, 04:08 PM
LadyBelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
it is a very intense strong English with lots of bookwork
August 4th, 2006, 04:39 PM
homegoddess22's Avatar Regular
I don't know what grade you are looking at, but we just started third grade and I love it! The lessons are very short and the kids can hear the lesson and get the worksheet done in 15-20 minutes. Abeka's language program does work hand in hand with their Reading curriculum.

We used it last year for second grade as well and they both tested out this year WAY above average for their grade level in reading comprehension, language mechanics, language useage, and vocabulary. I definitely credit the Abeka program for that.

If you have never used Abeka before, I would suggest purchasing the teacher's manual for the program. I didn't buy it last year and was completely lost as to how the program works together. I ended up putting everything away until the maual got here!

Hope this helps!
August 4th, 2006, 08:06 PM
Shery's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Can you use the language book without the reading? I am not using them for reading. I hope it will work independent from reading as I have already ordered the language . I really think I am going to use more of their stuff next year!
Thanks for the note!
August 5th, 2006, 08:01 AM
homegoddess22's Avatar Regular
Quote:
Can you use the language book without the reading? I am not using them for reading. I hope it will work independent from reading as I have already ordered the language . I really think I am going to use more of their stuff next year!
Thanks for the note![/b]
Yes, you can. I looked through my book and I don't see anything that will be a problem. Have fun and enjoy!
August 6th, 2006, 07:54 AM
baileylee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to baileylee
Quote:
Has anyone used the A Beka Language Arts? I used McGraw-Hill last year for all three of mine, but am having a difficult time getting the books this year. Last year, they already had them in school when I pulled them out. I was able to keep all of their workbooks when I pulled them out, so I already had them. Anyway, I am looking to change and considering A Beka. Has anyone used it for Language, and if so, how do you like it?[/b]
I was homeschooled and so were my brother and sister, we used A Beka for 2 years and I can tell you that now in college...I don't feel that I use anything that I learned from A Beka...it is extremely intense and focuses mainly on diagraming sentences which I never did in ps and haven't done at all in college. It does help you in identifying the parts of a sentence but I presonally wouldn't recommend it.
Bailey

Thanks Jaidynsmum for the siggy!
August 6th, 2006, 06:37 PM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well, we loved the 1st grade ones. Using 2nd grade this year.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search