I really need some help

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 3rd, 2006, 03:38 PM
TheBoyMaker's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am a homeschool graduate. I graduated a long time ago (1996) from Clonlara which is a private and home based education school based in Ann Arbor, MI. I really love their resources and advice they provided me.
I started homeschool in the 6th grade and graduated with a diploma (not a GED) after taking their exam. If any of you would like some info on them you can check them out online at www.clonlara.org

Ok, now for my questions, rants, etc. I am the mother of a 4 year old (will be 5 in december) boy and pregnant with my second. I was in college part time and sometimes full time since 2003 and would love to finish my degree so that I can at least work part time and bring in some extra money. But I also would love to be a SAHM. I am pretty much constantly battling the decisions in my head every day.
On top of that...I am trying to decide if I want to homeschool or send my child to school. Since I myself was homeschooled I know how it works as far as socializing and learning goes. However, I am sooooo scared that I wont be able to really do it. I dont want to start it and then slack off because of my other wants. I just would hate myself if I became that selfish.
I am not entirely sure what would be the best thing for Jaden as well. Since I am having another baby would I be able to provide him with the attention and education he needs or would he suffer because the baby needs fed or this needs to be done and so on.
I guess what I am truly asking is....what made you decide to homeschool? For my mother, she decided because the school system wanted to hold me back from the 5th grade for being shy and because I didnt want to go to Camp. She didnt agree and felt it was stupid to hold someone back for being shy. I was always an A student and she felt that I would out grow my shyness...I have to a degree but I am still very shy lol.
For me...the reasons I want to homeschool has to do with wanting to give Jaden every opportunity to shine as the person he is and not have to follow a certain educational standard or have to keep up with the "smart kids". I also question the safety of schools with all the shootings and dangerous things that have happened at school. I think every mom worries about that though so I dont know if that is a legitimate reason to homeschool.
The only reasons that I find sending him to school might be better is because he has a sincere interest in going to school and being with other kids in a school atmosphere. I doubt though that he understands that its a place to learn and not always wrestle and have fun lol.
Ooooooh this is truly frustrating and I really dont have much time left to make a choice. DH really is leaving this all up to me as he wouldnt care either way so he isnt much help at all. But this is very important to me.
Thanks in advance for your replies!

EDITED: To add....another reason I am considering sending him to school is because currently our income is really low. My DH only makes about $500 a week take home. He is in school to become an RN but I keep weighing whats the most important...being able to provide things and give our kids a nice home to live in or live in an OK place and homeschool....any thoughts on that?

J-Bird 🐦December 16, 2001
Monkey🐒 September 10, 2006
Roo 🐾October 7, 2008
Turtle 🐢December 26, 2013

August 3rd, 2006, 04:38 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi and I love the photo of your son with the dinosaurs, I have a hunch he likes Dinos lol

It's great to see another home school graduate here. High school is very different then primary (elementary)
For Kindergarten your only looking at an hour or two a day and that should not be all sit down formal work but a lot more hands on activities. You could wear your baby in a sling or wait for nap times to home school in. There's no set times it has to be done. That's one of the positives with homeschooling. If you send your ds to ps you may find yourself driving there and back just when your baby would like to sleep or feed which isn't at all convenient.

Those reasons you have for thinking about homeschooling are ones I think I can say we all share. I look at it this way, home school, ps, privet schools are all legitimate ways to educate your child. Each has its own pros and cons. But which set of pros and cons do you want to live with? Also none are set in stone. You are allowed to change your mind. You can homeschool then put your child in ps, or you can send your child to ps then withdraw to home school. I do think switching schooling does pose some challenges but not insurmountable ones.

There's another thread here, on why people here choose home schooling. I gave a long list of why I choose that over ps. http://www.justmommies.com/boards/in...owtopic=294694

Homeschooling can cost from nearly nothing to thousands of dollars. Spending a lot doesn't necessarily mean a better education. There are groups on the net such as 'homeschooling on a shoe string' that you might want to look into, or frugal groups with ideas on saving money. The net is jammed packed with free learning sites. Take a look in the projects section above. If your after something specific just ask I have a million sites saved. lol I'm a total free site junkie.

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
August 3rd, 2006, 06:21 PM
KarateMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to KarateMom
Hi and !!
I'm Lisa and our daughter is going into first grade. Our son is 3, so we'll do pre-school here and there as he shows interest.

I think that all of your reasons for wanting to homeschool are very legitimate, including the safety issue. The school shootings at Columbine really cemented our desire to homeschool. I figure that if my children aren't there, I won't be the mom on the news saying, "We never thought something like this would happen at our school!"
As for him wanting to go to school, I think every child who is homeschooled thinks that at one time or another. I know that my daughter asked me lots of times before we started school if she could go to the school up the street and I just said, "No, we're doing it this other way" and she never really complained. I think you're right - before they go there, kids see school as this super-fun, fantastic place, not realizing that it's not all playing and socializing! (Well, at least not after kindergarten!) Plus, as much as she thinks she would have a fantastic time in school, we are still the parents and make the decisions in her (our) best interest!

Quote:
I am not entirely sure what would be the best thing for Jaden as well. Since I am having another baby would I be able to provide him with the attention and education he needs or would he suffer because the baby needs fed or this needs to be done and so on.[/b]
I agree with Jo on this one! Kindergarten can be done in such a minimal amount of time that I wouldn't worry at all about not meeting his educational needs. Once he gets into the higher grades, your little one will be old enough to be entertained. Does that make sense?

Quote:
My DH only makes about $500 a week take home. He is in school to become an RN but I keep weighing whats the most important...being able to provide things and give our kids a nice home to live in or live in an OK place and homeschool....any thoughts on that?[/b]
OK, now this is something that only you can decide on...I know that's not helpful at all.
BUT, here's how our family looks at it: we would rather live in a smaller house, buy cheaper clothes, drive a cheaper car, etc. and homeschool than to make more money and have our kids in public school. Things are just that - things. Time spent with my family, watching my kids learn and grow, building memories and bonds are worth more than any car or house.
*steps down off of her soapbox*

The way I see it, you have an entire year, really. If he'll be 5 in December, he wouldn't start kindergarten until next fall anyway.

Darn, I may have to add to this later - it's bedtime!

You're never fully dressed without a SMILE!!

August 4th, 2006, 06:59 AM
Shery's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi Stacy!
I have three children...10, 8 and 7. They were in the public school here until after the first 6 weeks of last year. Even though it is a great school, it was RUNNING OUR LIVES. The homework was such that I am now spending no more time with them homeschooling than I was doing homework with them in the evenings. On top of that, the school was so stressed all the time about the IOWA and LEAP tests scores, that the entire curriculum was built around that....they scared the kids to death. We needed out of that for the sake of our kids and ourselves.
Also, I watched my Madison go from a self confident leader to a follower and low self esteem because she couldnt do her work quite as fast as most of the others. She could make her grades, but she was vrey distracted in the classroom and it was hard for her. It is a shame for someone's entire self esteem to be based on how fast they can get their work done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A CRYING SHAME!!!!!!!!!! Since homeschooling her, I have watched her turn back into the self confident, wonderful little leader that she was born to be.
Our lives have changed so much since homeschooling. We are so happy. I joined our Christian homeschool association in our area so that they can get the socialization with others homeschooling like them. Also, we are in a church with many of the school friends they had as well as homeschool friends.
I am so happy that we made the choice we did. If you have to work, you can't help that. However, if you have to choose between a few extras and being home....choose home.
"hugs" I hope you find peace with a decision soon.
August 4th, 2006, 07:16 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
I homeschool mainly because I was homeschooled myself and want to give that to my kids, too. I know how it can seem daunting to homeschool with a new baby. I'm doing it right now since I have a 3 week old. As for living in an OK place vs. a great place, well, honestly your kids will probably not care, particularly if they are homeschooled (and so not subjected to seeing the "betters" all day every day). What's important to a kid isn't stuff, but love and attention. I know people who spend virtually nothing to educate their kids and they get just as good an education as those who spend thousands on k12.com.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search