Your opinion, please?

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Sassalota
  • 2 Post By Butter

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 15th, 2014, 05:53 PM
Spider123's Avatar Veteran
A friend and fellow old timer is curious about how much this new generation of homeschooling parents knows about our community’s past. We would greatly appreciate it if you could participate in an informal survey. It would be helpful if you could tell us what year you began homeschooling, whether you recognize any of the names of these individuals and groups, and whether you have a favorable or unfavorable opinion of them.

Thank you so much for your time!

Michael Farris
Homeschool Legal Defense Association
Patrick Henry College
Sue Welsh
Sharon Grimes
The Teaching Home magazine
Brian Ray
National Home Education Research Institute
Gregg Harris
Christian Life Workshops
Doug Phillips
Vision Forum
Mary Pride

William Gothard
Institute of Basic life Principles
Bob Jones University

Dr Raymond Moore
Cheryl Seelhoff
Homeschooling Freedoms at Risk
The Ravage of Home Education Through Exclusion By Religion
March 17th, 2014, 03:18 PM
Veteran
ok I'll help. First I will say that I do not homeschool now. My LO is 13 months but I am in the data collection stages for when I do. With that said.....I didn't know a single thing on your list. I was a product of public school though ok I did google them and it seems these are all things I need to spend some time on and it would be a great lesson for homeschool kids so thank you for the list.
Spider123 likes this.
March 21st, 2014, 01:44 PM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
I was homeschooled and I've homeschooled starting when my 14 year old was 4. But, my parents didn't homeschool me for religious reasons and I don't homeschool for religious reasons either. Most of these have less to do with homeschooling than extreme religious groups.

Michael Farris - Yes and I have a very extreme unfavorable opinion of him
Homeschool Legal Defense Association - Yes, just as unfavorable as my opinion of Farris
Patrick Henry College - Yes, pretty neutral
Sue Welsh - Nope
Sharon Grimes - Nope
The Teaching Home magazine - Yup, it's okay but very little useful to me in it
Brian Ray - No
National Home Education Research Institute - Yup, pretty much neutral
Gregg Harris - Nope
Christian Life Workshops - Nope
Doug Phillips - Yes, extremely negative opinion
Vision Forum - Yes, and given my opinion of Doug Phillips I'm sure you can guess my opinion of Vision Forum
Mary Pride - Yes, positive opinion

William Gothard - Yes, extremely incredibly unfavorable
Institute of Basic life Principles - Yes, see my opinion of Gothard
Bob Jones University - Yes, they're okay; not super impressed with them, though

Dr Raymond Moore - Yup, generally favorable
Cheryl Seelhoff - Nope
Homeschooling Freedoms at Risk - Yes, neutral
The Ravage of Home Education Through Exclusion By Religion - Yes, neutral
(both of the last two give me the feeling they got overblown by HSLDA just as they still overblow things today)
Frackel and Sassalota like this.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

March 22nd, 2014, 07:35 PM
Veteran
Butter- After reading your list it seems like there would be fun stuff to debate there because as a newbie I just wanted to ask why to almost all your responses. LOL. It sounds like you have formed a educated opinion.
March 24th, 2014, 03:12 PM
Frackel's Avatar DOh!
Can I just ditto Heather here? She seems to share the same opinions as I have on most of the list, lol.

Frankly most of the people/groups on the list that I have strong negative opinions about, have very negative agendas. I have often found those who support them share those agendas, or at least do not understand that they exist, or that any good they may or may not do is entirely trumped by those agendas and occasionally even their actions. I also tend to find those who support most of the organizations, or people, I would not support...are not very supportive of ALL homeschool families as I'd like to see. Then again, I tend to be a "we're all special snowflakes, we're all making a difference, we need to be all-inclusive, not a single one of us is any more important than another regardless of how long we have homeschooled", kind of gal. I hate the "you're new you don't know" mentality, which I have been met with a LOT since we began homeschooling.(thankfully, not here, lol) Especially when I tell people that we do not buy a pre-packaged curriculum and we put it together ourselves at the least cost humanly possible.

Labels are like rocks, you can use them to navigate, or you can wreck yourself on them. Most of the folks and organizations on that list that I have negative opinions on, love to use labels.

If I want to educate others on homeschooling, welcome them into the "community" as it were, I would not be throwing a majority of that list at folks. Unless I were of course to share my negative opinions-which isn't usually something I'd enjoy doing. I'd rather share links, resources for materials, firsthand experience and such... all positive. People can find the negative on their own.
April 22nd, 2014, 07:54 PM
Mega Super Mommy

Last edited by hiskid1324; August 31st, 2014 at 05:59 PM.
May 9th, 2014, 05:43 PM
New_England_Girl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'll begin by saying that though I am a conservative Christian, I do not agree with some of the other so-called conservative Christians on your list.

Michael Farris-don't know him
Homeschool Legal Defense Association-nuetral. I don't really know enough to comment.
Patrick Henry College-don't know anything about it.
Sue Welsh-never heard of her.
Sharon Grimes-never heard of her.
The Teaching Home magazine-never read it.
Brian Ray-never heard of him.
National Home Education Research Institute-don't know anything about it.
Gregg Harris-don't know anything about him.
Christian Life Workshops-nuetral. I guess they have a purpose but not for me.
Doug Phillips-unfavorable.
Vision Forum-unfavorable.
Mary Pride-never heard of her.

William Gothard-unfavorable.
Institute of Basic life Principles-unfavorable.
Bob Jones University-nuetral. Wouldn't use it myself.

Dr Raymond Moore-never heard of him.
Cheryl Seelhoff-never heard of her.
Homeschooling Freedoms at Risk-don't know anything about it.
The Ravage of Home Education Through Exclusion By Religion-don't know anything about it.

Well, I wasn't much help, I guess. Not sure why I'm supposed to know some of these people...because I'm a homeschooler I'm just supposed to keep up with everything homeschooling?

Married to my best friend for a decade.
Mom to:

Cassidy, 6.5 yrs. Born 10/23/07, 7 pounds 10 ounces, 20 in.

Joel, 4.75 yrs. Born 6/23/09, 9 pounds 12 ounces, 21 in.

Timothy, 2 yrs. Born 3/20/12, 9 pounds 4 ounces, 22.5 in.

May 9th, 2014, 06:22 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Sara, I don't think that you are "supposed" to know of them, I think it is just an interesting look at the last generation vs. the current generation of homeschoolers. Nothing bad, just looking at the differences and curious as to how much of homeschooling's "history" the current generation is familiar with.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search