So thankful...

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 4th, 2006, 06:38 PM
LuckyGirlx4's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've been purposely avoiding this board because everytime I saw it, it reminded me of how stressed out I am! In order for you to really get into my head properly, you need to read the following as the huge run-on sentence that it is; without taking a breath. Ready? Ok:
I think you all know my story; First year homeschooler, just recently moved from Southern California to VA- but have been staying with parents until we find a place- which we did, but can't move in until Sept 1 (and we of course plan to start school after the Labor DAy weekend)- and as soon as we got here my van completely fell apart and cost $2300 to fix which of course some of that was curriculum money- and there is also the matter of my younger daughter being diagnosed with having a mass on her spine 15 hours before we were to fly off from So. Cal. I'M A LITTLE STRESSED! I have just been fretting over this; how can I get curriculum with no money??? I was going to get the "1st Grade in a Box" thing from WinterPromise (don't normally intend to do that but with all that's going on, it seemed a sensible thing to do for this year). Well, that was going to be upwards of $600. Kinda hard to turn nothing into $600. I've been scrimping and saving....scrimp...scrimp....scriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iimp. Then, I learn that this weekend is VA's tax free weekend- no better time to look for a miracle than now. I was suprised to find that there was a Homeschool supply store in VA Beach, so I went to check it out. ::::::::enter Glory music:::::::::: This place was filled (FILLED) with used curriculum! There was also a box outside filled with stuff that was FREE (FREE!!!!). I found an entire Earth Science curriculum; brand new never used, transparencies, worksheets- everything! I won't be using that this year, but will later. I also found some handwriting workbooks which I started Madison on today since she hasn't been practicing of late and is getting sloppy. I go in and find about 90% of what we need for curriculum this year. How much was it you ask? First let me tell you that I got Math, Language Arts, Spelling/Reading. That is enough to get the year started as dh is going to be teaching guitar and I will teach some music theory and I"m planning to put her in an art class- since she really has an interest in it and I think she would benefit from being in a class with more resources. Ok, ok. Grand total: $63!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :::::faint::::::
I, then, went to Walmart to get supplies (glue, manipulatives, folders, etc.) and spent $25. I figure $88 of what I wanted; sound christian curriculm isn't bad considering I found it new for $600! I still need a Bible curriculum, but I can wing that until I can get a formal lesson plan.

I also sent my letter of intent to the school board last week; so it's official! I'm a homeschooler!

</div>
August 4th, 2006, 10:30 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Whoo hoooo! Oh wow I wish we had a place like that! That must be such a weight of your mind. Now you have no excuses for not coming down here.

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
August 5th, 2006, 02:26 AM
KarateMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to KarateMom
It's 3:00 in the morning, so I can't say much but YAY!!!! I know there's a store in town here that sells used curriculum and why I've not been there yet I could not tell you. But, you've inspired me and now I have to go!!
I know that's a huge load off of your mind! God is SOOOO good!!

You're never fully dressed without a SMILE!!

August 5th, 2006, 05:13 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
Woohoo! How awesome!

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

August 5th, 2006, 07:58 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Wow, how great! It's meant to be. Congrats!

SciGuy,14 Butterfly Girl,12 Wyldchild,7 FlowerFairy,5 and Babybird,3

and RK, 13, exchange student from Japan

My Homeschooling Blog:
August 5th, 2006, 08:19 AM
Shery's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
That is so great. I think that there is always a cheaper way to go than the packaged deals. I just do. I have three children and spent between $300 and $400 this year on everything. By everything, I mean Reading, Math, Language, Social Studies, History, Reading, Science, Writing and Phonics.
I'm glad that things worked out for you. It is meant to be!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search