'nuther newbie question

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 4th, 2006, 05:47 PM
LuckyGirlx4's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
How in the world do you write a lesson plan??? Do you have a calendar? I'm so lost, please help!

</div>
August 4th, 2006, 09:42 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Doesn't the curriculum you bought already have each lesson set out? I know with Five In A Row that it has a number of ideas for each book in the Manuel. I just read through those ideas and pick and choose what I want to do. I tend to keep that in my head though. Other ideas that I find online to use as well, I write down in a Word document. I am also in the process of writing my own history curriculum. With that also done in Word. I simply have side headings such as Bible, Vocubulary, maths, Science, Writing etc. Then I try and fill those slots with things relevent to the lesson. I think I would need to know more what your curriculum says.

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
August 5th, 2006, 04:16 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
I have an .sxc (like excel - I use NeoOffice) file. Each colum is a subject/part of a subject (language arts is split into parts for example) and each row is a day of school. I like using the computer file because I can change it easily if she does more or less in a day than planned or we have to take an unplanned day off for some reason. Then I just entered in what I expected we'd do when. It's quite flexible, but it gives me a general guide day to day and tells me when we need to buy the next level of whatever for school.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

August 5th, 2006, 07:24 AM
Shery's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I plan each subject out for each child for the year. I look at how many pages or lessons each subject has. I already know that I will be teaching for 30 weeks...5 days each, so that is 150 days. I then write out the lessons by week...Week 1, Days 1-5....Week 2, Days 1-5, etc. until I finish through the 30th week. I do that for each subject, making sure that they will make it through their books.
Then, I have a small notebook that I write out their weekly plans in. This is just a daily list for each one of them, taken from the yearly plan that I have already done, that tells what order they will do their subjects and for approximately how long.
They system is really easy and flexible. The great thing is that once I have it all written down for the year, I don't have to think about it anymore...it is just a matter of doing it.
I hope this helps. I am fairly new at this, but it worked for me last year.
August 5th, 2006, 12:27 PM
LuckyGirlx4's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thank you! That was very helpful!

My curriculum has lesson plans (though I am having to put some together and create my own as well), I'm just tyring to figure out how to actually implement all of this and when. Thanks again!

</div>
August 5th, 2006, 02:47 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think I'm still a bit confused over what it is your after. Do it whenever it suits you. Can you tell us more what your curriculum says?

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
August 9th, 2006, 11:15 AM
Regular
I thought curriculums came with a schedule?
August 9th, 2006, 01:29 PM
KarateMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to KarateMom
I guess it depends on which curriulum! Our math curriculum has 160 lessons, so I figure on at least 1 a day. The same with The Ordinary Parents Guide to Teaching Reading. Five In A Row has lesson ideas, but it helps to know in advance which ideas you're going to use.
With Sonlight curriculum, you can order the grade and they send you all the things you need for the entire grade (minus math, I think) for the whole year, and includes lesson plans. (That sounds DREAMY to me! Someone else to plan it all out? *sigh*)

You're never fully dressed without a SMILE!!

August 11th, 2006, 06:19 AM
Frelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via ICQ to Frelle Send a message via AIM to Frelle Send a message via Yahoo to Frelle
My husband and I sit down and make our goals for the year and break things down into how many days a week we will do a subject, for instance. I get a week at a glance planner and put her stuff in there, instead of a lesson plan book or a notebook.

Thank you BAM for my signature!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search