Transitioning from Public to Homeschool?

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 30th, 2014, 12:15 AM
deaths final kiss's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi

My oldest children currently go to an amazing public school where we live in the country. However, we have to move next month, it's looking like we'll have to be in the city. For the rest of this school year, I plan on commuting to their school, but that's going to be a long drive, and stressful. They have been given permission to stay in this district for as long as we'd like (baby sis as well when she starts preschool), but it's really going to depend on where we end up moving permanently if that's a realistic thing to do.

Oldest is very bright, but has ADHD. Both of them are very social, and love their school/friends/staff... but neither of them have any focus when they are together.

I know they will hate being stuck at home instead, and am trying to figure out how the best way to do the transition would be (if it comes to it). I was home schooled through 8th grade, enjoyed it when I was really little, and hated it for the last, probably 5-6 years. Granted, I was an only child, so I had no playmates.

I'm not even sure where to start finding out things about curriculum, or laws regarding home school. I do know that I need at least an AA degree (which i have), but other than that...

Also, how much do you typically spend for one child per year for everything needed?

Thanks!

Angels 3-27-04 9wks, 6-2-14 8w5d

April 30th, 2014, 04:35 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
Welcome

Here is a great resource for your state: Homeschool Laws

For ideas on curriculum, I really love Cathy Duffy's 101 Top Picks for Homeschool Curriculum. (http://www.amazon.com/101-Top-Picks-...ds=cathy+duffy

This book gives an overview of different types of curriculum so you can narrow down your choices a bit, and I found that it helped me focus me research.

There are ladies on here who can give you more info since they have been doing this a while, but that might help you get started!

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (4), Abigail (2) and George (2)

April 30th, 2014, 06:02 PM
deaths final kiss's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Awesome, thank you!

Angels 3-27-04 9wks, 6-2-14 8w5d

May 9th, 2014, 06:30 PM
New_England_Girl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
First off, Hi

Second, just wanted to say that you are a great Mama to really think about what will be best for your kids and try to make that happen!

Homeschooling is wonderful, but it is not for everyone. Only you can decide if it will work for your family. If you are not sure that you will be doing it long term, perhaps enrolling the boys in a charter/umbrella school like K12 would work. They send you the materials, your kids do the work at home, and you send reports to the teachers at K12.

If you do decide to homeschool, there are many, many ways to go about it. Some go with an easy to teach, already prepared curriculum. Others spend many hours pulling together resources and making their own curriculum. Either one works fine!

My oldest (finishing 1st grade) also has ADHD, and it is incredibly hard to keep her focused! In order for her to stay on task and not bothering her brother, I need to sit with her constantly and talk her through the work. She's incredibly bright and can handle the work with no problem, but she has to work very hard to stay focused.

As for curriculum, my favorite site to browse options is Rainbow Resource: Home - Rainbow Resource Center, Inc.
As you will see, you can browse by subject down the left side of the page. They have an incredible selection of programs and resources.

As for cost, that varies on what you choose to do. I plan to spend about $500-600 per year per child. Usually less for the 2nd and 3rd, as the resources can be used over again.

Well, I know I can't answer all your questions, but I hope that helped some! Again, welcome!

Married to my best friend for a decade.
Mom to:

Cassidy, 6.5 yrs. Born 10/23/07, 7 pounds 10 ounces, 20 in.

Joel, 4.75 yrs. Born 6/23/09, 9 pounds 12 ounces, 21 in.

Timothy, 2 yrs. Born 3/20/12, 9 pounds 4 ounces, 22.5 in.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search