How did you decide to homeschool? How did you know you could do it!?

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By JenniferinFL

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 13th, 2014, 07:34 AM
Hi all!

I know this is a bit premature but I am really considering homeschooling as a potential option in our future. My son is only 6 months old so right now we are just focused on playing and learning about the world around us. I just want to start thinking about the possibility of quitting my job staying home full-time and eventually transitioning into a home school environment.

I want to know, what made you all decide to do it? How do you do it with multiple children (God willing we will have more one day!) and how do you find the confidence to know that YOU ALONE are responsible for your child's academic future.

Like I said, I am so new to this whole online community of mom's. I still work full time and desperately want to be a stay at home mom but I just don't know if I am ready! I want to think about homeschooling in the next few years but don't know if I am capable. I am a college educated math and science whiz but I've never been a great "teacher". How will I know if I am ready to do it?
May 13th, 2014, 05:37 PM
Veteran
You are ready to be a stay at home mom. You were ready when God gave you that baby. Dont wait. It goes way to fast.

I quit my job the last month I was pregnant and I haven't missed a moment of my son's life and it still has gone to fast.

Don't worry about the school stuff yet. Just get to know your child.
May 22nd, 2014, 02:24 AM
Frackel's Avatar DOh!
You never truly know you're ready for something until you actually do it, to be honest. It is easy to worry about all the what ifs and such. What is really difficult, is letting go of those fears. We all have them, we're humans. Even people who have been homeschooling for years have those same fears you have, it's normal.

Personally I do not hold myself solely responsible for the academic future, and even present, of my children. That is a responsibility we share, as a family. They actually hold most of the responsibility of their own academic journey(if I were to look at it that way), I am merely a helping hand to guide them along.
May 22nd, 2014, 10:54 AM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassalota View Post
You are ready to be a stay at home mom. You were ready when God gave you that baby. Dont wait. It goes way to fast.
Yes! Couldn't have said it better!

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (4), Abigail (2) and George (2)

May 22nd, 2014, 11:00 AM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljarvis88 View Post
how do you find the confidence to know that YOU ALONE are responsible for your child's academic future.
Agree with the above...you are not solely responsible. I definitely cannot teach my kids absolutely everything I want them to know, but I don't know anyone who can! As a homeschooling parent, your job is to teach, but also to provide the resources they need to learn and to guide them to others who can help them. Your children can take music lessons, take online classes, join co-ops, take classes at a community college...you are the captain of the ship that will drive their educational journey. There are SO many resources and options out there these days

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (4), Abigail (2) and George (2)

June 28th, 2014, 09:48 AM
JenniferinFL's Avatar Veteran
I haven't been on this forum in awhile, but, I was working on putting together our school portfolio and thought I'd stop in.

Homeschooling is the obvious choice for us. There really has never been a doubt. I never attended public school with exception of a driver's ed class. I didn't miss out on anything.

The most important thing you can teach your child is to love learning. If you accomplish that, then everything else can pretty much happen when it happens. I never learned math very solid, my mom didn't understand it and my dad couldn't explain it. But, I knew how to learn. Thanks to the internet there's really nothing a person can't learn if they decide they really want to. I learned trig and calculus as an adult in my late 20's on a combination of websites and got A's in college. In the 80's, homeschooling was tough. Your resources were often discarded textbooks from the school system and getting a teacher's edition was almost impossible. Public schools were difficult to work with, community colleges didn't want to dual enroll home schooled kids. It was difficult to find a place that would perform year end testing. Today, you can find resources with a simple internet search and many of them are free. I can print out the same SAT 10 dailies for my daughter that the school is handing out to test prep their students. Don't even get me started on the learning apps! My three year old is a stubborn little monkey, so I don't force the issue with her. She will 'forget' the whole alphabet if I ask her to recite it. But, on a kids app, she can put the whole alphabet in order without help. When my mom was homeschooling us, she paid $50 for a reading program for the home computer which really wasn't that good. It had so few possible responses that you could memorize it instead of really learning anything. I can download better learning apps than that game for $1.99.

Probably the biggest mistake new homeschooling parents make is trying for too long of a day. There is little wasted time in homeschooling. Your child doesn't have to walk to a different classroom, take a break between, wait for slower children to learn or wait their turn for resources. A homeschool day can easily take place in less than 3 hours for the lower grades. Obviously, this will depend on your child. My 3 (nearly 4) year old only has a 20 minute 'school day'. The rest of her school day is filled with fun activities she doesn't even realize are school. She picks what she does. Some days she'll spend a half hour on the piano, other days she wants to play learning apps. Most days she wants to paint, color and draw. We go to the library and to the park a lot. She loves the zoo and the science center. All of those activities are learning activities.
Sassalota and Spider123 like this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search