How to homeschool..

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Sassalota
  • 1 Post By Frackel

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 10th, 2014, 05:01 AM
Faith=2xBlessed's Avatar PrettyCrispy Scrunchy Mom
Hello! I'm a mom of twin girls and homeschooling has crossed my mind many many times.. The only thing that is holding me back is the fact that I feel they will miss out on school dances and sports and interaction with other kids.. What do you feel about this? Do you feel your kids miss out on those things? If you can explain how you homeschool and why you do I would LOVE to hear thanks!!

Layla Marie & Savannah Rose born on December 19th 2013
* After heartbreak and tears, and many fears my two blessings are here*

Relactating mama since march 13th 2014..don't ever stop something you
July 10th, 2014, 06:49 AM
Veteran
I don't homeschool now but I used to teach. My child is only 1.5 years old now.

I just wanted to add my comment on you not wanting to let your child miss anything.

Many cities allow homeschool students to still participate in activities. Check your state. I live in ND and homeschool kids can join anything they want ( I still pay taxes!!!) and there are also city league activities too so that is not an issue.

Also I think you have to ask why you are homeschooling? A lot of times people want to home-school for academic reasons but many times there are social reasons too. I want to raise my child a little slower than society. I know I cant hide them forever but I just want to delay some big decisions they have to make until their moral compass is a little more refined. So for me, not having my child going to school dances when they are 14 or whatever is a plus.

I read a homeschool book that explained it like if you send your child to school, then you teach them to be part of the system and be really good employees who follow rules. If you keep them at home, you teach your child to be part of family and they put family first. So many times homeschool kids prefer to spend lots of time with family.

Also most areas have homeschool groups for socialization if you want to do something like that or even just getting together with neighbors and making playdates a priority is important.

Well and you have twins so they have each other too!
Faith=2xBlessed and Spider123 like this.
July 11th, 2014, 10:58 PM
Frackel's Avatar DOh!
In our area, the kids aren't allowed to participate in school events, because they are homeschooled, however I do not believe that is the norm in most places. In fact, I think most places, even those not so friendly to us homeschool families, offer those options.

As for socialization....well...I am pretty sure when asked, in fact I know when asked, my kids will tell you they get plenty of interaction with others. It's important to remember that, socialization, by very definition, is the opposite of what is allowed in most classrooms. Talking, going against others to be an individual, etc... are not really permitted. So then we have to take a look at what people believe the word to actually mean...which is, of course, not its actual definition. When people say socialize when it comes to kids, especially homeschoolers, they mean they believe children who are in a homeschool environment will miss out on being in a classroom with X amount of like aged peers.
To that, I say.....uhhh....so what? In life, we are surrounded by peers and fellow humans of all ages. So what is so special about like aged peers? I haven't yet found someone to give me a good answer

Sure it is nice to have kids around their age(s) be friends, play, enjoy things together, etc... Children can get this anywhere, though, a classroom, or school building, is not necessary.

Once I take the socialization bit out of the equation, since we've determined the location of such things needn't matter, I look at things from an educational standpoint entirely. The basic truth here, for us, is that my children cannot even comprehend their potential, much less reach for it, in a school environment. They most certainly cannot in the dreadful school district we live in..shudders. Some children may in fact seem to do well, or may even do well, mine, however, cannot. I don't want them to merely do well, I want them to excel, and reach beyond their potential even. So I provide the best classroom possible, for them....the world. What better place to learn all about the world, and every topic one would need to make it through birth until death, contributing to the human species in the best way they possibly can than the world Confining them to a classroom, or building, almost seems cruel, for my kids. This, of course, only applies to my kids, so take my opinions with a grain of salt, or perhaps pepper, whatever you prefer

I really do love teaching my children everything I possibly can, as often as I possibly can. They truly love being homeschooled as well. For us, it is a win-win situation. They weighed in heavily before they were removed from public school. In fact, it was ultimately, their decision. I feel it is extremely important for children to play the largest role in their educational path. I am merely here to guide, direct, support and encourage. It is still their path, however. Right now my children are thriving, as they have been since the day we made the switch. I cannot possibly imagine tossing them back into a school environment in which they are stifled, shuffled about, and treated like "just another kid". My kids, like all children, are not, as individuals, "just another kid". If more schools treated students like individuals, with real, true potential, the world would be a much better place. We would likely also have a lot less homeschool families. Sadly, that is not the case. Until it is, we plan to continue on our path.

Again..no disrespect meant to anyone, my thoughts and words primarily relate to my children, our family, and our situation. Others' mileage may vary.
Spider123 likes this.
July 12th, 2014, 09:59 PM
Spider123's Avatar Veteran
It's hard for me to see #whataboutsocialization without getting the giggles after homeschooling for so long, because it is such a common question.

My children missed out on having their names turned into insults. They missed out on having their lunch money stolen. They missed out on being the last kid chosen for dodge ball. They never had to drink or drive too fast to fit in with their friends. ds chose to go to public school for high school, but poor dd will have to live the rest of her life not knowing what it's like to be the only girl in her clique who didn't get invited to the prom.

Those are experiences I don't have in common with my kids. We also don't share the experience of going to weekly Park Days (or not going when we don't want to) with many children of different ages who they have known for years. I do not share the experience of running into an old friend at a homeschooling conference as a teen. I do not understand how my kids felt when I had to tell them no more dance classes and karate classes and art classes because we had to have SOME time for academics and housework.

The 22 and 25 year olds have both already thanked me for the fact that their social life was different from my own.

The six year old is less extroverted and he lives in a world where the internet can fill many of the purposes of Park Day for tentative new homeschooling moms who need to talk to real people who have BTDT so his social life will probably be different too, but that doesn't mean that he is "missing out" on watching Barney with his friends because he "has to" play Minecraft.

The question wouldn't be common enough to make old timers giggle and joke about having it printed on a T shirt if it wasn't a serious concern that is new to YOU and therefore deserves to be treated with respect. You are probably concerned that your kids (and perhaps yourself) won't have enough time for socialization without recess, after school clubs, PTA meetings, etc. but the reality is that too MUCH socialization is more likely to be the reality if you don't set some limits.

Unless you're an extrovert and don't want or need "me" time and "family" time and that's okay too. There are other ways to get the academics in than hitting the books around the kitchen table.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search