Okay..I've finally got our curriculum set..I think..

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 9th, 2006, 09:29 PM
Stellaluna's Avatar Super Mommy
Okay...so after way too much researching, worrying and driving myself craaaaazzzzzzyyyyyy....I think I'm finally happy with what I have planned for this upcoming year . Here's what I've got on the table so far .

**Language Arts**

Reading
- Continue taking a combined phonics/whole language approach to reading
Sam is weird with reading. For the last couple of years he wavers from being really into reading to not having any interest at all....so we just kind of go with the flow. Right now we try and read together just before bed and then he has some "quiet reading time" before lights out. He has a box of early reader phonics type books that he can pick from and he usually reads a couple of those and then I usually have him read some
D!ck and Jane too since they are more sight word/whole language based. We have a phonics program (HOP) that MIL handed down to me so I use that as a general guide. He's been back in a reading kind of mood lately so I've just been letting him progress at his own rate for now and we'll see where that takes us.

Spelling
- Since phonics and spelling go hand in hand we're going to do some very light spelling this year (one word a day with a review every 8 weeks). He's comfortable spelling three letter CVC words so we'll continue on with that and use his interests a a guide to what words we pick. I'll be using the spelling lists from the McGuffey primer for a guide as well.

Handwriting
- Zaner-Bloser
- Writing letters to friends and family (once a week)

Writing
- For writing we'll do puppet shows, put on little plays, dictate and illustrate stories etc.... This year I really just want to focus on the creative process of writing..the fun of putting a story together that has a beginning, middle and an end.

Read Alouds
- We'll have at least a weekly trip to the library for books. I'll use Amblesides literature list, the suggested literature for 4 - 6 year olds from the list of "1000 Great Books" at Classical Homeschooling as well as my own and of course whatever we come across at the library that strikes our fancy. Sam still loves picture books but he also really enjoys non-fiction and regular chapter books so we'll try and strike a good balance between them all. We like to listen to books on tape in the car so we get a good bit of literature in that way too (Yeah! Gives me a nice break!).

**Mathmematics**
- Math U See

**Science**
- We'll do science twice a week or so using the Young Scientists Club along with reading lots of literature about science related stuff.
- The first Thursday of each month our local Science Museum hosts a children's program. The woman who runs them does a wonderful job so we'll try and go to those each month.

**History/Social Studies**
- Nothing formal this year. We'll read lots of books about history related stuff and do some activities and whatnot to correlate with Thanksgiving, Columbus Day, President's Day etc.... I just adore the Ingri D'Aulaire and Holling C. Holling books for history and geography and I can't wait to share them with Sam!

**Art**
- "Discovering Great Artists"
- Lots of creative, free art type of things...drawing, painting, sculpting, illustrating stories...nothing really too formal this year. Sam loves to draw, paint and create "stuff" and he's pretty self motivated when it comes to art so I have no worries he'll be lacking in this area!
- Heading to the local Art Gallery to check out and discuss different styles and artistic mediums. Admission is FREE on Fridays and there are all sorts of kid's activities!

**Phys. Ed.**
Sam's been begging me to put him in fencing lessons and I would in a heartbeat...but they don't start around here until 6 yrs. old so we'll have to find something else for now.
- Swim n Gym days once a week with the local homeschooling group
- Maybe Gymnastics or something else???

**Nature Studies**
- Weekly nature walks as well as keeping a "nature box" and journal for neat stuff we find

**Music**
- Learn to different classical composers

**Logic**
- Soduko Puzzles
- Tangrams
- Mazes
- Jigsaw Puzzles

**Miscelllaneous**
- Lots of field trips to the Science Museum, Zoo, Art Gallery, Botanical Gardens etc....
- Learning to play Chess with "Fritz and Chesster" on the computer

It looks like a lot...but in reality it's only about and hour in the morning and a half and hour to an hour in the afternoon...so less time than he would be in preschool for.

AHHHHHH! I'm so excited I just can't wait to get started (talk to me again around January and see if my enthusiasm is the same ).

<span style="font-family:Comic Sans MS">Homeschooling Mom to Sam (3-21-02)

My Photography Website

My Blog - Pollywog in a Blog</span>
August 9th, 2006, 11:56 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Wow, we don't do nearly half of that. If your ds likes it and you can do it then why not.

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
August 10th, 2006, 09:24 AM
Stellaluna's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
Wow, we don't do nearly half of that. If your ds likes it and you can do it then why not. [/b]
I know it looks like a lot..but really the only formal things we're doing are reading, writing and math. The others are all pretty informal (just lots of reading books and stuff) and not everyday. The only reason I tossed Science in there this year is because it really is his favorite subject (aside from art ) otherwise we would have waited with it.

<span style="font-family:Comic Sans MS">Homeschooling Mom to Sam (3-21-02)

My Photography Website

My Blog - Pollywog in a Blog</span>
August 10th, 2006, 02:45 PM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yay! You have your curriculum! Now have fun learning!

August 10th, 2006, 06:31 PM
KarateMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to KarateMom
YAY!!

You're never fully dressed without a SMILE!!

August 11th, 2006, 03:12 PM
mom2oneprincess's Avatar Member
How do u guys set up a curriculum for a 4 year old. she wont be able to go to preschool so i thought i would try to do some stuff with her at home. thanks
Alicia

Alicia-
Wife to Josh
Mom to Katie
August 11th, 2006, 07:47 PM
Hi Alicia, welcome to the board.

I think the main thing is to know your child. Know were they are at, how they best learn and do what suits them. Abilities of 4 year olds just varry far to widly to be able to sugest much except read to them and make learning fun. Even for kids that love worksheets I would be carful not to do too much of them.

My daughter is most intrested in crafts, imaginative play and being social. She has never shown any interest in letters or numbers. When she turned 4 I decided we would start some fun letter themes and a little more structre. To try and help her learn the letters and just get used to having 'school'. Other kids this age may already know there letters and some may even be reading and so would need something very diffrent. Apart from the letter themes I use Five In A Row (Which is a literature unit study for 4-8 year olds) They give you a list of books and the manuel gives lesson ideas for each book. Sometimes I manage to tie a book into the letter theme, and I also look for extra things on line to go with the book as many things in the manuel are still over her head. These are picture books but some have deep themes (poverty, black slavery) and most are quite long, so definatly not baby books. Most of what we do for school is craft and games tied into our theme. Some days she dosn't want to do school so we don't. I don't believe in pushing 4 year olds to do school if they would rather be out playing in the dirt.

The basic things to work on would be shapes, colours, counting and recognizing numbers to 10-20, and knowing the alphabet and basic sounds.

August 12th, 2006, 03:00 AM
KarateMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to KarateMom
Quote:
Hi Alicia, welcome to the board.

I think the main thing is to know your child. Know were they are at, how they best learn and do what suits them. Abilities of 4 year olds just varry far to widly to be able to sugest much except read to them and make learning fun. Even for kids that love worksheets I would be carful not to do too much of them.

My daughter is most intrested in crafts, imaginative play and being social. She has never shown any interest in letters or numbers. When she turned 4 I decided we would start some fun letter themes and a little more structre. To try and help her learn the letters and just get used to having 'school'. Other kids this age may already know there letters and some may even be reading and so would need something very diffrent. Apart from the letter themes I use Five In A Row (Which is a literature unit study for 4-8 year olds) They give you a list of books and the manuel gives lesson ideas for each book. Sometimes I manage to tie a book into the letter theme, and I also look for extra things on line to go with the book as many things in the manuel are still over her head. These are picture books but some have deep themes (poverty, black slavery) and most are quite long, so definatly not baby books. Most of what we do for school is craft and games tied into our theme. Some days she dosn't want to do school so we don't. I don't believe in pushing 4 year olds to do school if they would rather be out playing in the dirt.

The basic things to work on would be shapes, colours, counting and recognizing numbers to 10-20, and knowing the alphabet and basic sounds.[/b]
I swear, Jo, you are so wise! You're like the sage of this board!!! Sometimes after I read one of your posts like this one, I want to respond with "Yes, Sensei..." and bow very low!

That said, Alicia, welcome to the board!! I didn't really do anything official with Reilly for preschool. Most of it was what I call "learning by osmosis", which is just basically that she learned colors, shapes, things like that by me just pointing them out in daily life. (something that I think we do just naturally as moms!) Reilly showed interest in learning to write letters, so I started with capital letters and just let her take the lead as she was interested. We didn't start any "formal" schooling until kindergarten last year.

You're never fully dressed without a SMILE!!

August 12th, 2006, 05:56 AM
Thats me. " One venerated for experience, judgment, and wisdom" but in one so young...
Oh while your down there, here's some boots that I need cleaning.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search