please take this poll

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

View Poll Results: Story of the world
yes 5 83.33%
no 1 16.67%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 10th, 2006, 04:32 PM
ilovemy3wikids
I am looking in to using this next yr when my daughter is 6. We are using secular curriculium and are not concerned if it uses religion in teaching!
August 10th, 2006, 04:54 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I personally don't like it due to that it's not Biblical accurate enough for me.

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
August 10th, 2006, 05:17 PM
dingledine's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to dingledine Send a message via Yahoo to dingledine
We borrowed this from the library (on CD, so I don't know what the actual book looks like). We listened to book one and two last year in the car going here and there, and discussed it as we went. I like the books on CD, and I like other titles by the same author.

Jewelry for yourself, or for a friend. Breastfeeding aides, beautiful bracelets, earings and more.

Store.beadsarebeautiful.com
August 10th, 2006, 06:55 PM
Phoenix Rising's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I love story of the world but I mean come on with all the money that the author must be making on her publications the least that they could have done was hired a freaking artist to do the drawings and colouring pages because they STINK.
August 10th, 2006, 07:20 PM
KarateMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to KarateMom
Quote:
I personally don't like it due to that it's not Biblical accurate enough for me.[/b]
Really? I thought it was written from a Christian "perspective" - meaning that it includes Christ in the timeline and things like that....

You're never fully dressed without a SMILE!!

August 11th, 2006, 02:25 AM
Lisa what I have read is that it's been written in such a way as to apeal to a wide audience. So a Biblical timeline before Abraham isn't focused on. She also basicly says the Roamans crucified Christ and never mentiones the Jewish leaders amoung other things. If Biblical acuricy isn't an issue then I think it would be an intresting read aloud as an introduction to history.

August 11th, 2006, 06:14 AM
KarateMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to KarateMom
Quote:
Lisa what I have read is that it's been written in such a way as to apeal to a wide audience. So a Biblical timeline before Abraham isn't focused on. She also basicly says the Roamans crucified Christ and never mentiones the Jewish leaders amoung other things. If Biblical acuricy isn't an issue then I think it would be an intresting read aloud as an introduction to history.[/b]
Well, Biblical accuracy is definitely important to me. I guess, for me, it would depend on how well I could "fill in the blanks", so to speak. It might be a good opportunity for a "This is what the world believes and this is what we, as Christians, believe" sort of lessons.
I wasn't going to start doing it this year anyway - I figure that we're going to continue to concentrate on the basics and do small, unit study-type activities for history. (i.e. study the pilgrims around Thanksgiving, George Washington around President's Day, things like that)

You're never fully dressed without a SMILE!!

August 11th, 2006, 07:13 AM
Frelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via ICQ to Frelle Send a message via AIM to Frelle Send a message via Yahoo to Frelle
We use it and we like it, and we also use the Veritas Press History Cards. I have not yet found a really great, really accurate history from a Biblical Perspective. Any other ideas?

The main curriculum we use is Classical Conversations. http://www.classicalconversations.com

Thank you BAM for my signature!!

August 11th, 2006, 03:12 PM
Never heard of that one before. Thanks for the link.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search