started math

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 13th, 2006, 07:59 AM
ilovemy3wikids
officially today as we will be schooling sun - thurs so we can do fmaily stuff on my dh days off. We have saxon 1 for my 5 yr old and went throught 3 lessons....it's almost under her I was worried buying 2nd grade work for a 5 yr old but halfway through the yr I can see her finishing the 1st and having to order the second!
August 13th, 2006, 08:54 AM
KarateMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to KarateMom
Have you looked at the later lessons? I know that with Horizons, we went through lots of the early lessons quickly but started teking more time as the lessons progressed because they got more difficult...did that make sense? Hopefully it will get "better" for you, but if not, I wouldn't hesitate at all to buy the next grade up!

You're never fully dressed without a SMILE!!

August 13th, 2006, 10:04 AM
ilovemy3wikids
the next ones later on do get harder but I guess I've worked with her so much that she's almost through 1st grade math, she wasn't when I first ordered it!
August 13th, 2006, 10:52 AM
Stellaluna's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
the next ones later on do get harder but I guess I've worked with her so much that she's almost through 1st grade math, she wasn't when I first ordered it![/b]
I'm worried about the same thing with our math program. I changed my mind and decided to go with the Horizons K curriculum which is described as on the advanced end what is typical for K math programs but looking at the scope and sequence it will be all review for us (except time and money..we haven't really touched on those yet). Thankfully it wasn't too expensive so if we end up starting 1st grade part way through the year it won't be the end of the world! That's the great thing about homeschooling...you don't have to label your kids with a grade, they can work at whatever level they are at!

Happy Homeschooling!

<span style="font-family:Comic Sans MS">Homeschooling Mom to Sam (3-21-02)

My Photography Website

My Blog - Pollywog in a Blog</span>
August 13th, 2006, 02:24 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would be skipping over every second question (or maybe even more) untill you came to work that took a bit more thought. A lot of kids enjoy a bit of easy work, so long as it dosn't go on too long and they get bored with it. With homeschooling it dosn't matter that your 5 year old is nearly ready for second grade maths, because you can just go ahead and provide what she needs. Isn't homeschooling great

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
August 13th, 2006, 02:39 PM
Shery's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Give it time...it will possibly get more challenging. All of the Math books start out below them.
Good luck!! I'm glad it is going well.
August 14th, 2006, 06:26 PM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would just allow her to truck along and move on to the next book sooner if she needs to. You don't have to be on the same grade level for everything. We all have or strengths and weaknesses. We all have the thing that makes us excited and Math may be hers.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search