I guess I should introduce myself

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 14th, 2006, 12:54 PM
machris's Avatar Veteran
I know Zehava from another community we belong to where the homeschool part just sort of dwindled away

I've got three kids My son Devin will be 8 in December, my daughter Jessica will be 4 in December, and my little girl Megan will be 1 in December.

We live in Massachusetts, and frankly I struggle with homeschooling. i belong to a support group, and believe me when I say that if it were not for them I would not be doing it, but I struggle with the religious aspects of the group...I am a Christian, and I am a homeschooler, but I am not a "Christian Homeschooler" for one thing, my husband is struggling with his faith, and well one time someone refered to someone as a pagan and, well I defended the person and the religion (they really had it so totally wrong) it pretty much black marked me Ugh I didnt mean to get off on a religious tangent, but I wanted to show why This prevents me from feeling 100% included in the group, My son is not included on play dates because some families do not want their kids at our house
So I am excluded from the mainstream because I homeschool, I am excluded from the Christian homescoolers because I'm not Christian enough. I guess that is how I feel, like I don't fit in, I've tried several online groups but I just haven't clicked anywhere

we think our boy has ADD but we are not sure if we want the diagnosis, and if we want to medicate so we are trying different diets

As a homeschool mom, I am a bit ditsy I make typos, and I'm not afraid to admit it, and if I'm in a hurry I might not even fix them LOL

I am making an effort to get more organized this year, I got Managers of their homes but that is just a little too structured, I am having trouble doing it (ok can I admit that I can't find the book?)

Oh we named our school "The Outside in Academy" which is funny because I didnt feel like an outsider when we came up wiht the name LOL now I refer to our family as "the outsiders" LOL

OK that is me in a nutshell I figured I would get all my insecurities out right at the beginning

Mary-Ann

August 14th, 2006, 01:28 PM
ilovemy3wikids
Hi and welcome. I am Tami, I have a 5 yr old daughter in he 1st yr of homeschooling and Logan who will be 1 in dec! I too am not accepted into our local group cause I am homeschooling cause I don't like the schools here not to teach religion and I ma only 24 so no one thinks I'm old enough to teach my children. I hope that things get easier for you. I am putting my dd in dance and gymnastics to socialize and am not to worried about it!
August 14th, 2006, 02:15 PM
Shery's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi Mary-Ann!
I hope this will not be one of those places where you have difficulty feeing like you belong. I am so happy to have you join us!!!
This is my second year to homeschool. My kids went the first 6 weeks last year before I pulled them out. I have 7 and 8 year old boys and a 10 year old dd. My daughter was diagnosed with ADD in the 3rd grade. It was very difficult to pinpoint her problem because she isn't hyper...only ADD. She was medicated while in the 3rd grade and the beginning of the 4th, but chose to not take the medicine once we started homeschooling. The only time that I might give it to her is when she does her end of the year testing. I know how hard it can be, but if it means a lot to her to make it without the medicine, then I will do all that I can to help her.
I hope that you will feel welcome here. It really is a wonderful place!
August 14th, 2006, 04:24 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
again.

I hope you feel like you can stay here. I joined a few months ago and have found this to be one of the 'cosiest' home schooling boards on the net. lol and I belong to quite a few, but I come here first!
As for being ditsy I'm plenty ditsy as well as messy and unorginized. I just plead Australian spellings.

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
August 14th, 2006, 07:20 PM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hello! Oh I think you will like it here. We are a very diverse group of ladies and we understand that we are all different. So jump on in and post away!

August 14th, 2006, 08:39 PM
KarateMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to KarateMom
Hi, Mary-Ann, and welcome to our group! (Side note - when I was a little girl and would play house, or whatever, I ALWAYS chose for my name to be Mary-Ann!) Like the other ladies, I think you'll really like it here. We're a really easygoing group. I'm so sorry that you've had such trouble with the homeschooling group that you belong to. I wish I had some sage advice to give, but I've not had any experience with homeschooling groups yet. Is there another group that you could join or are you stuck with that one?
Anyway, I hope you stick around here! We love new people!

You're never fully dressed without a SMILE!!

August 14th, 2006, 11:49 PM
Niamh ૐ's Avatar Green Mama Goddess
Send a message via AIM to Niamh ૐ Send a message via MSN to Niamh ૐ Send a message via Yahoo to Niamh ૐ
Hey! I'm new too (just joined about 30 minutes ago). Nice to meet you.

August 15th, 2006, 07:14 AM
fka teresarunningmommy
Welcome! I can so relate to your post! I have found myself having the same problems with homeschool groups. This year I am signing my kids up with classes and just not worrying as much about joining a group. I haven't made up my mind whether I will resign up with the group I was in last year. I hardly attended anything.

Teresa

Check out my running blog - Wannabe Running Mama

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search