How do you get started??

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 16th, 2006, 08:23 AM
Hi there!

My daughter is almost 11 months old (ahhh! my baby is so big!!!) and I'm committed to homeschooling her and my future children. I just have a couple of questions.

What age do you start formal homeschooling curriculi?

How do you chose a curriculi that is right for you and your child?

Where do you do your "school" if you have a small home?

I am interested in a Christian-based homeschooling curriculum, and I'm very eager to start a formal "school" time in my home. What can I do with my daughter now at her age?

Thank you so much for your input ladies!!!

August 16th, 2006, 02:58 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi and

The best thing you can do now is read to your daughter. They don't have to be 'educational' books, just any that you both like. Play and talk to her. She may start to enjoy a sandpit and a paddling pool. Nothing better then outside play in sand/dirt and water. Buy some strong chunky style crayons, she may like to scribble or she may just want to eat them. Go with your child, you will soon see what she is ready for. If she only wants a crayon feast put them away and try again in a couple of months. You can also try finger paint on the high chair tray and play dough. There are edible recipes online for both of those.

The best thing to do towards homeschoooling is start to read and reserch it yourself. There is so much out there to read you will be amazed. Try your local libary, they may have some homeschooling books. But even if it's crummy like ours the net has so much to read. I started reserching more when my dd was 1 1/2 and I only own 1 homeschooling book and our libary has none, it was all done from things online.

Quote:
What age do you start formal homeschooling curriculi?[/b]
Well some people never do... others do school at home from an early age...I use Five In A Row and letter themes I make myself but it's not formal. I would advice nothing too formal before first grade, but thats just my take on it.

Quote:
How do you chose a curriculi that is right for you and your child?[/b]
By reading and reserching the diffrent methods you will probaby feel drawn to one, or perhapes parts of a few diffrent methods. That can help you say what type of curriculum your after. Then you talk to other homeschoolers, hopfuly in real life by joining a local group, and/ or online like I do if there is no group. You can also go read reviews on line. If your anywhere near a curriculum fair i would recomend you go to it.
As your child grows you will also be able to see what would suit there personality and learning style. For example your not going to by a craft orintated curriculum if you know your child loathes craft, but if your child loves craft and is disintrested in activity type books then you'd be well warned to stay away from workbooks at least for a few years. I would also advice you not to rush into buying anything. Not for a long long time. It's all too easy to see stuff you think is wonderful even when your child is 2 or 3 get it home and realize you do half of it anyway and the other half they have no intrest in. You would have been better served buying more reading books, paint and glue.

Quote:
Where do you do your "school" if you have a small home?[/b]
Where ever you like. You might read on the couch, do a craft at the kitchen table go outside and play a hop scotch game on the concreet.
yesterday I pulled the small plastic table set out on our back deck and we did our activities out there. You could also go to a park if you have no back yard.

As a Christian I would tell you to pray about the best way to guid your daughter. To not buy into this early academic push that is occuring at the moment. IMO the best thing for a young child is free play prefrably outside with some sand/dirt/water and a few plastic animals and cars.

Stick around, read and post. We love new people and answering questions.

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
August 16th, 2006, 06:47 PM
Shery's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hello and welcome!!!
The best thing to do is play, play, play and read, read, read!!! At around 3 1/2 or 4, I started doing some fun workbook pages and learning games with mine. I didn't send them to preschool, even though they did start out in public school.
As for choosing curriculum, I don't use one set curriculum for mine. Some of mine is Houghton-Mifflin, some Abeka, some Scott Foresman, etc. I know it would be easier to go with one curriculum, but I'm just not there yet.
You have a little time to research. Good luck and come here any time. You will make some wonderful friends and find some great ideas. Check out the sub-forums .
Again...welcome!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search