I want to homeschool, but don't know where to start.

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 17th, 2006, 05:01 PM
Willowkarr's Avatar Coupon Blogger
Hello, I have some questions about homeschooling. My children are 6,3,and 10 months, and I am pg w/ #4. Whre do I start? What legally do I have to do to start homeschooling? Is there something I can do now for my youngest two? My oldest son will be going in to first grade in a couple weeks. The thing is, he was really bored in kindergarten, and I think the omly way to get him interested is if we move at a faster pace. What do I do about social skills? There isn't much offered in my town for that. I have searched the internet many times to get answers, but all I ever get is the Adult Learning programs. We went into the Educational Store in our Mall, and they told us to go to OakMeadow.com, I did, but it is $300 per child to register, I think this is outrageous. Am I supposed to pay to homeschool my child, besides materials I mean? How does this work? Any help appreciated, thanx!
August 17th, 2006, 07:30 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi and

No you don't have to pay to regester, unless you are using an umbrella school, which basicly means legaly your son would be a privet school student, which you would have to pay for. Oak medow as far as I know is a Waldorf inspired curriculum. So the $300 would be for all the materials included in there curriculum. (Unless I'm totaly wrong in which case somebody will reply about that )
There are not as many secular curriculums to choose from which is probably why you were recomended oak medow. I have heard that people seem to like it. I'm guessing Christian based wouldn't sit well with your beliefs so I'm trying to think of some other secular ones. 'Abeka' maybe secular. If you look here- http://homeschoolreviews.com/reviews/default.aspx there are reviews about many diffrent curriculms.

What you have to do legaly depends on where you live. Each state has it's own rules and regulations. Go to HSLDA and click on the map there. http://www.hslda.org/laws/default.asp That will give you a starting point.
if you post your state someone here may know more about it.

Small towns and social outlests can be hard, I know we live in one. i think it becomes the case of take whatever is available, or maybe drive further a field. I would look first and see if there is a local homeschool group that you could join. My dd goes to dance and church, and that is it really. Most churches do run childrens programes if your not adverse to that.

Thats one of the benifits of homeschooling, you can move at the pace suited to your child. You can also pick and choose diffrent curriculums, such as one publishes maths, another publishers LA. If you buy a whole box set it will all come at the same level. Sometimes the best way to start is to simply read some good books and study what ever your son is intrested in. The libary and the net are basicly free.

Feel free to ask any questions you have.

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
August 17th, 2006, 07:43 PM
Thanx for your response, I will check out those sites right away!

I just did a search on eBay and found a book just for Pagan Honeschooling, I am going to buy that as well.
August 17th, 2006, 07:52 PM
KarateMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to KarateMom
Hi and to the homeschooling board!
I think that Jo pretty much covered the basics! I'd suggest also looking at the website for the board of education for your state. It will probably give you not only a good idea of what is required in your state to homeschool, but will give you an idea of what is being done in 1st grade.
Please feel free to ask as many questions here as you'd like! We love newcomers!

You're never fully dressed without a SMILE!!

August 17th, 2006, 07:58 PM
Ok, I live in Connecticut, this is what I came up with, but I don't really understand. Can you help me out?
Connecticut Legal Home Schooling Options: 1

Option: 1

Legal Option:
Establish and operate a home school

Attendance:
Generally, 180 days per year

Subjects:
Reading, writing, spelling, English, grammar, geography, arithmetic, United States history, and citizenship, including a study of the town, state and federal governments

Qualifications:
None

Notice:
None, but parents may voluntarily comply with State Dept. of Education guidelines by filing a";Notice of Intent" form with the local superintendent within 10 days of the start of home school

Recordkeeping:
The guidelines require that parents maintain a portfolio indicating that instruction in the required courses has been given

Testing:
None
August 18th, 2006, 04:41 AM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ok, thats not a hard state then. Basicly they are asking for those subjects to be coverd in at least 180 days, and that you keep some work, enough to show your childs progress in them. That would include work sheets, and or some writing, or photos of things done like say you painted the flag citizenship (lol can't think of what else for that stange one) probably one thing from each subject every month or two kept in a folder. But the fact is they wont know how many hours you coverd, and if they never actualy ask for your portfolio they probably wont even know if you coverd those subjects. There basicly covering there butts so they can say 'well we gave guidlines'. Now in reality homeschoolers often don't actualy teach all those subjects for 180 days as 'formal subjects'. Homeschoolers see learning opertunities in all kinds of things not just in doing 'school', so many things can count towards hours and learning. I dobt they would expect first graders to study Gvt.
Just reading the legal analysis, and that makes it sound like you do have to file intent ... Hopefuly someone from Connecticut will post how they meet the requiremnets and if you have to file or not, the other part made it sound optional.

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
August 18th, 2006, 05:49 AM
Well, my son is 6 years old, and I was reading that I only have to file intent for ages 7-16, but I think I will still file it. He is due to start 1st grade on 9/6. But I really want to homeschool. I am holding a family meeting today to go over everything. So I will be poking around here, gathering info, and asking questions, thanx so much!
August 18th, 2006, 07:31 AM
Shery's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi,
I know the uncertainty that come with beginning to homeschool. I was there last year. We have been very pleased with the changed from public school to homeschooling. It has changed our lives in every way.
Lucky for us, though, we do have a wonderful homeschool association here. Maybe if there is a need there that you could start something. If there wouldn't have been something here, I would have at least tried that.
As for legal things.....I just sent letters to the public school informing them that my kids were being pulled out. I also sent letters to the school board. Then, I applied for private school status...this is something that has to be renewed every year. Laws are different in every state, so check and see.
I hope it works out for you.
Come here anytime...there are wonderful, supportive people here!!!
August 18th, 2006, 09:50 AM
Well today, I went to the Department of Ed. They gave me paperwork to fill out, and they gave me #'s to call. I will have access to the Special Ed department, which was one of my fears, and I can also get copies of the local school system curriculum for my own use. They seem to encourrage Homeschooling here. The receptionist is making some phone calls for mw to other parents that homeschool here, to ask if it is ok to give their # out. I am hoping to get involved in the homeschooling community, and maybe set up a phys ed class with other kids.
August 18th, 2006, 10:56 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Sounds like you are off to a good start. Just wanted to welcome you to the board. I am new to homeschooling too and learning as I go. I just wanted to mention that while there aren't many secular curriculums, it is possible to use a Christian curriculum in a secular way, which is what I'm doing with my kids. Good luck and have fun!

SciGuy,14 Butterfly Girl,12 Wyldchild,7 FlowerFairy,5 and Babybird,3

and RK, 13, exchange student from Japan

My Homeschooling Blog:
August 18th, 2006, 11:04 AM
We are a Pagan family, so a Christian based Education wouldn't work for us. But I do plan on teaching Wicca as part of their studies. I am in the process of setting up our website, which will be their Portfolio. I am not a very organized person, so I figure if I create the site, I do not have to worry about losing papers for the Portfolio. I asked the Dept of Ed if that was ok, and they loved the idea of a website. So it is a definate. As long as I can get a ciriculum and a months worth of activities, before 9/6, my husband is all for it, I am working hard right now trying to put that together. The Dept of Ed said they will get me a copy of the public school curiculum, so, I have no problem there. Now I have to get activities and work set up for at least a month's worth. After he sees that, then I can work on more and more. We have decided to try this for 1 year, and see how well it works out. Homeschooling isn't for everyone, but I am confident that it is perfect for our family, and I want my husband to agree with that. In CT, children do not need formal education till age 7, so that is another reason we are trying it this year, as he is 6, so if it doesn't work out, he won't be missing anything he needs.
August 18th, 2006, 11:21 AM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
So...are you on board with us as a homeschooler for sure?

August 18th, 2006, 01:16 PM
Yeppers, I'm here to stay!

I also have to say, that your boys are absolutly handsome! They look like a lot of fun!
August 23rd, 2006, 10:11 AM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yay!

Thanks for the compliment...the one on the left is a MESS! They are lots of fun.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search