Pros and Cons of Homeschooling.

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 18th, 2006, 05:53 AM
Willowkarr's Avatar Coupon Blogger
Can you help me make a pros and cons list? My oldest son is 6 years old. I REALLY want to homeschool, but I have to persuade my husband that homeschooling is right for us. He agrees it can be a better form of schooling, but he is concerned about the kids' social skills. Please help, any advice appreciated. Thanx!
August 18th, 2006, 06:51 AM
LuckyGirlx4's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Can you help me make a pros and cons list? My oldest son is 6 years old. I REALLY want to homeschool, but I have to persuade my husband that homeschooling is right for us. He agrees it can be a better form of schooling, but he is concerned about the kids' social skills. Please help, any advice appreciated. Thanx![/b]

I Googled Homeschooling Social Skills, and found all kinds of articles. I think it's a great arrangement because some are from homeschooling resources, and others are not; including an article from CNN stating that Homeschooled kids have BETTER social skills than mainstream schooled kids.
I don't have a pros and cons list. I think if the parents are willing and able, the pros will always out weigh the cons.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=H...g+social+skills Here's the link to my search

</div>
August 18th, 2006, 02:57 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Cons

. It's possible to drive each other wild.
. less time for yourself. Sometimes it would be nice to have the kids gone for a few hours.
. Likely to have less facilities then a school.
. More likely to have a messy house
. May have less social opertunities. This is hugly variable as some kids actualy get more via hs.
. possible for a child to be shelterd too much

pros
. Closer family bonds. Family interdependence which is healthy. Schools foster peer dependence.
. More time for children to just play and enjoy thier childhood.
. Great to see your child learn new things and know that you taught it
. Safer from drugs, presures, violence.
. Home and out is the REAL world, an institution with rooms with kids all about the same age is NOT.
. Education can be tailord to suit the child. faster or slower paced as needed.
. Social opertunities tend to be supervised so bullying is less lilkly.
. Freedom to develop your own tastes and be true to yourself away from group conformity presures.
. Can shelter your child from bad influences.
. Social group tends to include all ages. breaks down the 'generation gap'
. Can teach and pass on your family values without finding others undeminding that on a reg basis.
. Can run to your own schedule, take breaks and holidays on off peek times and save money.
. Can be cheaper as there are no uniforms or school shoes etc to buy.
. Don't have to deal with apathetic/bad principles or teachers to get what your child needs.
. You will not be expected to do ps fund raisers or serve 500 screaming kids at tuckshop!

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
August 18th, 2006, 03:22 PM
Willowkarr's Avatar Coupon Blogger
Thanx! A couple things that my son said was no bus rides, no school lunches, for the bad....the good, get to play more, get to sleep later, get to eat peanutbutter & jelly sandwiches (the school has an allergy thing, no PB&J's here), he is looking forward to being homeschooled. I am scared.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search