I'm Starting To Feel a Little Overwhelmed

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 18th, 2006, 08:56 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I don't know what to do, I'm beginning to think I can't do this!

I've just started to do my lesson plans for this year for Xander. I haven't gotten very far! My new little guy is demanding so much of my time and when I'm not taking care of him Lucas needs my attention. (He's still getting used to Aiden). I'm so afraid this school year is going to be hard to do. I feel like I don't have enough time to do anything!
August 18th, 2006, 09:52 AM
Stellaluna's Avatar Super Mommy
Does Xander need to do lessons this year? He's still only three. Maybe you could just make a goal list of things you'd like him to learn this year and then come up with some fun games and activities that work on those skills and when you get a free minute to do something then pull from something from the list. If you hit all your goals at the end of the year....great....if not then you have a starting place for next year! That way you won't feel pressured this year and your family can have time to settle into a routine more hospitable for more formal lessons. Since Xander is still young and you do want to homeschool it's probably better to take it easy this year, have fun with more flexible activities than to put pressure on yourself and burn out on the idea of homeschooling.

Best wishes!

<span style="font-family:Comic Sans MS">Homeschooling Mom to Sam (3-21-02)

My Photography Website

My Blog - Pollywog in a Blog</span>
August 18th, 2006, 09:58 AM
Shery's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree with Jenn!! Just relax and let him learn through play right now...that's all he needs. You have little ones...your priority is understandably going to be just just nurture and care for them. They have many years left to learn. Be glad that he isn't older and having to have the lessons. Just relax and let him learn through play. Make a few light goals and set him up to learn them through play. Enjoy the new baby...just relax . Just play with them. You will do fine...no, you will do great .
August 18th, 2006, 11:34 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I'd love to do that, to let him learn by play and all that... except the one problem is... he's already asking me to start school again. He even pulls out his Spanish books and his phonics games that he likes to play. I feel like I'm neglecticing him because I'm taking care of the other kids.
August 18th, 2006, 11:57 AM
Stellaluna's Avatar Super Mommy
That's fine, there's nothing wrong with phonics or math games or even the occasional worksheet if he enjoys them . Is there a time during the day that you can give him a half hour or so for him to pick an activity for you two to work on together? You could even have him pick out what he would like to do each day and set it aside for the time you have set aside for it . You could also make a bin of materials available for him to work on independently (puzzles, math and phonics manipulatives, chalk and a chalkboard etc....). That way if he wants to pull something out and work on it but your busy he can do it all by himself.

Last year my son was right around the same age as yours, he had turned 3 in March. I had every intention of starting up lessons with him because I thought I really needed to. He was reading and writing, understood and applied all sorts of math concepts etc...etc... and I worried that if we didn't start something up he'd become bored and his learning would stagnate. Needless to say, I never introduced anything "formal" last year and he continued to learn and grow at the same wonderful rate.......and he wasn't bored at all. In fact I saw an amazing leaps both academically as well as creatively, socially and in his imagination.

At that age, kids will learn regardless of whether or not you're "teaching" them. It sounds like you've been doing a fantastic job so far and I hate to see you doubting yourself .

<span style="font-family:Comic Sans MS">Homeschooling Mom to Sam (3-21-02)

My Photography Website

My Blog - Pollywog in a Blog</span>
August 20th, 2006, 07:51 PM
Mega Super Mommy
If he likes movies try to get some educational movies. If you trust him on the computer get educational software and have hime do that while your teaching your other son. try to do some together subjects. If you want him to learn spanish get DVD's or CD's or if you know spanish teach him whenever he wants to know a word to say "COMO SE DE SE ________?" (how do you say____?) If he wants to accually sit down with you guys read the things out loud or do crafts at that time. You can hold off "school" until things are more situated.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search