want to homeschool but dont know where to start

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 19th, 2006, 11:18 PM
Regular
I have a 3 yr old daughter and a 4 Yr old son and i am told by public school systems my son cant attend Kindergarten next year since he will be so far behind all the other kids which made me mad to no end. My son is a bright child but just is.. i dont know how to put it. it just takes him a little longer than other children so i thought i can homeschool him . anyone have any recomendations on curriculum for a 3 and 4 year old??i might as well start my daughter along with my son.

thanks any help will be apreciated
August 20th, 2006, 08:21 AM
Willowkarr's Avatar Coupon Blogger
Quote:
I have a 3 yr old daughter and a 4 Yr old son and i am told by public school systems my son cant attend Kindergarten next year since he will be so far behind all the other kids which made me mad to no end. My son is a bright child but just is.. i dont know how to put it. it just takes him a little longer than other children so i thought i can homeschool him . anyone have any recomendations on curriculum for a 3 and 4 year old??i might as well start my daughter along with my son.

[/b]
Well I don't know know where you are located, but in the US, they can NOT tell you he can't go to school because he will be behind. As long as his birthday is right for the cut off, they HAVE to cater to his needs to catch him up. As for homeschooling, I am still working on that, this is going to be my first year. I will be teaching a 6 yr old, a 3 yr old, and helping my 11 month old learn to sign. Check out my website. It isn't much yet, cause we just started, but I am proud of it, lol. Good luck~! My advice, just do it!
August 20th, 2006, 09:37 AM
Regular
Quote:
Quote:

[/b]
Well I don't know know where you are located, but in the US, they can NOT tell you he can't go to school because he will be behind. As long as his birthday is right for the cut off, they HAVE to cater to his needs to catch him up. As for homeschooling, I am still working on that, this is going to be my first year. I will be teaching a 6 yr old, a 3 yr old, and helping my 11 month old learn to sign. Check out my website. It isn't much yet, cause we just started, but I am proud of it, lol. Good luck~! My advice, just do it!
[/b]
August 20th, 2006, 03:23 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi and

There have been a couple of thread about starting up
heres one of those- http://www.justmommies.com/boards/in...owtopic=309243

The only curriculum I use at the moment is Five In A Row. If you like good books then 'Before Five In A Row' is a gentle curriculum for those ages. FIAR is said to be for ages 4-8, but I find many things are above my daughters level and she will be 5 soon. I'm sure she would still enjoy the before books.

If you are after more numbers and ABC's then someone else might know of one. I just use things off the net. If you have a look up in the projects section I have put some preschool type links in the links sub section.

Your ds sounds like my daughter perhapes. She is plenty bright but isn't really intrested in letters or numbers. I read somewere under learning styles that she is probably a cross between a social Sue and a wiggly Wilma She does not follow directions well at all. I think she would have trouble in the typical classroom. Over here I could be sending her to grade one next year if I wanted too. If your planing on homeschooling long term then I wouldn't worry about what the schools are saying. make any learning you do enjoyable and mostly hands on. So plenty of games and crafts and not too much paper and pencil work. Some kids just are not ready at 4 or 5 for academics and just need a little longer to mature. presure to keep up at such young ages can cause a lot of harm.

feel free to pst any questions you have.

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search