A Little Sunday Fun

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 20th, 2006, 11:15 AM
Shery's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi everyone,
I am sitting here waiting for my eggs to finish boiling for our tune, so I thought I would post a little fun poll.
In light of school time coming again:

1. Do you remember your very first day of school...wherever it was?

2. One time that you remember getting in trouble during school time.

3. Did you have to have any special services growing up? (i.e. Speech)

4. What is your highest level of education?

5. Did you go to a prom? If so, what was the name of your date...if you took one or went with one.

6. What do you miss most about being school age?

7. Would you go back to that age if you could?

8. Do you think that your children will choose to homeschool one day?

9. Do you feel proud to tell others that you homeschool your children?

10. How do you feel today? Is it a happy day or not?
August 20th, 2006, 11:52 AM
Jenneve's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Honestly, I don't. I don't remember much about K at all.

My 6th grade teacher was a push over, so one day no one did their homework to see if we could get away with it. Well, she decided she wasn't going to take it anymore and actually lined the whole class up outside the room and gave us all swats with her paddle. It was so funny though, because since she was such a push over, it didn't hurt AT ALL and everyone went back in the room laughing.lol

no

high school, although I did a correspondance course in day care management last year.

5. Did you go to a prom? If so, what was the name of your date...if you took one or went with one.
yes, no date

the freedom to just be a kid without all the grown-up responsibilities

I don't think so. Along with the grown-up responsibilities, comes a whole new set of grown-up freedoms as well. Besides, I wouldn't have my kids or dh then.

I don't know. But if it's right for them at that time, I will be more than supportive.

yes

It's a good lazy day.
Jared 8/25/01
Justin 10/18/02

My blogs...
Fishers of Men *UPDATED 8/7/09*
Truely Scrumptious Cakes *UPDATED 7/28/09*

August 20th, 2006, 12:09 PM
Shery's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
**Yes, I do. I remember the classroom so clearly. I remember how I felt to be there and how the room smelled. I remember the piece of tape at the top of my desk with my name on it so that I could learn to write it.

**It was recess and I tattled on someone, which resulted in having to wear a tail around like a donkey....tattle "tail". I think it was a very humiliating thing and probably wouldn't be allowed these days.

**My twin sister and I had to have Speech Therapy because we had developed a "twin language" before we started school. Of course, people by then could understand us, but the twin language affected our speech from the beginning.

4. What is your highest level of education? Bachelor's Degree in Occupational Therapy

**I went to my Jr. and Sr. proms. I went to my Jr. Prom with a guy named Rodney. He was killed about 2 years later after they moved away.
I went to my Sr. prom with my twin sister and her date .

**Being with Vicki, my twin, every day. Getting up in the morning in the summertime to go outside and play all day with her.

**Only for a day or so....to remember how it was and to be with my family the way it was again for a short time. Of course, to see my mom again.

**I think it will be 100% based on their experiences with it.

**Yes, I do. Very proud! What really makes me happy is that I can tell that my children are proud of it .
I hope they stay that way for a long time.

**I feel pretty happy. We had a good morning at church...nice fellowship with our Sunday School class. The preacher preached the world of God..I believe a sermon that was handed to him by God. I am about to go read for a while and then get ready to go to a hamburger cookout with Jeff and the kids .

Have a nice day everyone.
August 20th, 2006, 01:37 PM
Niamh ૐ's Avatar Green Mama Goddess
Send a message via AIM to Niamh ૐ Send a message via MSN to Niamh ૐ Send a message via Yahoo to Niamh ૐ
1. Do you remember your very first day of school...wherever it was? Actually I dont remember the first day of school, lol.

2. One time that you remember getting in trouble during school time. In 4th grade me and a couple other students were supposed to go to another classroom for a special program. When we got there we found out it had been cancelled. We didnt want to go back to our regular classroom so we just walked around the school for a while, lol. When our teacher found us we got in big trouble (a referral for each of us, lol).

3. Did you have to have any special services growing up? (i.e. Speech) Yes, I had a lisp problem when I was around 11 and 12. I got surgery for it (it was a surgical problem) and then had to go to speech therapy.

4. What is your highest level of education? Some college.

5. Did you go to a prom? If so, what was the name of your date...if you took one or went with one. Yes, I went with my high school sweetheart, Rion. It was a fun night (the actual prom part sucked, we were an hour late, got pictures and then left to go watch one of the Star Wars movies in theater).

6. What do you miss most about being school age? Actually I dont know. I liked being a kid... but I'm glad I'm an adult now.

7. Would you go back to that age if you could? Probably not.

8. Do you think that your children will choose to homeschool one day? Well I am starting them out homeschooling. (our first child is still in utero) We will probably send them to high school though (hopefully a private school, if we have the money).

9. Do you feel proud to tell others that you homeschool your children? I'm proud to tell people I plan to homeschool, yes.

10. How do you feel today? Is it a happy day or not? Ok... but my ear keeps clogging up with air (its been doing that for about three weeks and it drives me NUTS! Q-Tips do not help either).

August 20th, 2006, 02:05 PM
Willowkarr's Avatar Coupon Blogger

Not at all.

High School was the first time I got in trouble in school. I went to a tech school, and in Masonry Shop there was a rule that if a person crawls into a sand pit, everyone had permission to hose them down, so me and a couple of my friends threw a kid's tools in the back of the pit, and he had to go after them, when he did, we hosed him, lol. He was one of our friends, but he never let us forget it, and we all got suspended, cause his parents demanded we did, lol.

nope

close to Assosiates Degree, plus Distance Courses

Yes, Jr. year I went with Patrick, who I'd had a crush on FOREVER, but I was dating a guy named James, James didn't want to go to the Prom, cause his ex-gf was gonna be there with someone else, so I asked Pat, he said yes, and then asked me out (as in to be his girlfriend) that night, I was THRILLED, but I told him no, because I was dating James and I really liked James. I made Pat cry, we never did end up dating, even though we both KNEW we liked eachother.
Sr. year I went with my ex-husband to my prom & his. His prom was MUCH better than mine, but I still had fun. Our son (read the son he no longer cares for) was conceived that night, lol.

NOTHING!!!!!

NEVER! kids were to cruel!

Not sure, but if they do, they have my blessing 100%!

I just started, but yes, I feel proud to say we have decided to homeschool.

I am sweatting (overly hot because of the pg.) and I am working hard at listing Magic Cards on eBay. It's a LONG process. Tomorrow will be better, I just know it, lol.
August 20th, 2006, 02:46 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
1. Do you remember your very first day of school...wherever it was? Oh yes, I cried my eyes out and my mother pretended to be getting something while I did a drawing but really she went home.

2. One time that you remember getting in trouble during school time. I have such a bad memery that although I can remember being sent to the headmasters office twice I can't remember what for.

3. Did you have to have any special services growing up? (i.e. Speech) No, but I probably should have had some remedial help. Luckly my father taught me to read after school.

4. What is your highest level of education? early childhood education and horticulture at Tafe colege

5. Did you go to a prom? If so, what was the name of your date...if you took one or went with one. I had 0 interest in things like prom, you couldn't have paid me to go lol.

6. What do you miss most about being school age? Playing with my friend helen. Hide N seek, Monopoly, Abba records, and cops and robers down there backyard with my her, her older brother and our wooden rifles and tieing her younger brother up as the hostage lol. I can't remeber if he agreed to that or not lol. Such nice children

7. Would you go back to that age if you could? On a Sataday just for a viset with my friend.

8. Do you think that your children will choose to homeschool one day? If were all still here I hope they will. If they send them to ps I think I will have to swallow my opionons! lol

9. Do you feel proud to tell others that you homeschool your children? I wish I could say I was but I'm still nervous to tell others here. people just don't understand about homeschooling here yet.

10. How do you feel today? Is it a happy day or not? It's still to early to tell. I think I'm at the moment.

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
August 20th, 2006, 07:43 PM
LuckyGirlx4's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I remember the feeling of the first day of school, but I don't remember any specifically.

Hmm....I was in trouble a lot in high school, lol

I'm hard of hearing, so I had speech and voice lessons

Some college- didn't finish and won't for a long while (not intending to go back for at least 16 more years

I went to several proms; there was Graham, Greg, Kraig......and another one....oh Josh!

Not a thing...

Nope, it was a pretty bad time in my life; lots of family drama, and that pretty much ruined my education, sadly. When I entered H.S., I was in AP programs and honors- I had to move to 5 different schools and my Mom left when I was 15- I ended up graduating from the Adult Learning Center and working full time so I could help pay off her bills when I was 18- lame.

I think at least one of them will.

Yes!

About homeschooling? Good- it's a confident day.

</div>
August 21st, 2006, 07:38 AM
KarateMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to KarateMom
I don't really remember the actual first day of school, but I remember a lot about kindergarten. I LOVED kindergarten!!!

When I was in eighth grade, I was in math class and the teacher accused me of talking with a friend of mine when we were supposed to be working. (I wasn't!) Well, he looked down at some papers on his desk and I raised my arm high in the air and flipped him the bird...and he looked back up just in time to catch me! I was suspended for 3 days! Now, here's my disclaimer...I think that the punishment did not fit the crime. I know that a friend of mine had flipped off the assistant principle directly to her face (I guess that was a big thing in middle school!) and had "only" gotten KP duty which was cleaning up the cafeteria after kids had eaten lunch. I always resented the fact that my punishment was so harsh. That was literally the only time I really got in trouble at school.

No, I didn't

I have an Associated in Applied Science, Physical Therapist Assistant.

I went to my boyfriend's prom when I was a sophomore. His name was Chuck. I also took a different boyfriend to my prom when I was a senior and his name was Keith. The thing was, he didn't dance (not even slow dances!) so it wasn't much fun. I wish I had been dating my husband at that time, because he's a GREAT dancer and we would have had a BLAST!!

Not having the stress of being a grown up! No bills, heving my parents buy my food, clothes, etc....things like that!

If I could go back to high school as the person I am now (more confident) I would be interested to see how things would be different. I'd like to do a sort of "It's a Wonderful Life"-type thing and see how things could be different!

I sure hope so!

Yes, I do. In fact, I struggle with trying not to feel superior to people who don't, only because I feel like this is such a better option to PS. I know that people who send their kids to PS aren't bad parents and I have to stop myself from feeling "better". Does that make sense?

Today is a VERY happy day. This is the first weekday in a year and a half that I have not had some type of editing to do, so my free time later in the day is just that - completely free time!!! This is a GREAT feeling!

You're never fully dressed without a SMILE!!

August 21st, 2006, 09:25 AM
Phoenix Rising's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I totally remember the first day of school! I was terribly shy (you hush up Lisa!) and I clearly remember crying and wanting to stay with my mom

I got busted skipping classes in highschool and the principle sat me down and lectured me about how I was "sitting on a ticking time bomb" because I had skipped and it was all I could do not to laugh at him... after all I had only done it to see whether or not I could get away with it. Apparently I couldnt so I wouldnt do it again and risk getting caught!

Nope I was so broken that they just didnt bother

High school. Well actually I am 1/4 of a credit short of a diploma but thats another story altogether.

Yep I went with my boyfriend Steve to HIS senior prom it was ok but nothing amazing. Oddly enough I didnt attend my own senior prom.

Just the innocence of it all but honestly, I prefer being an adult if I could do away with the bills etc!

NO FREAKING WAY! Being a kid is hard and being a teenager is worse. I wouldnt mind an experiment where I have to go back with my confidence of today and be a teen for a few weeks but other than that forget it!

I don't know... my oldest daughter says that she will never homeschool her children but I think that she will.

Definitely

Hmmm its Monday so thats strike one but we will see how the day goes!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search