Okay, so I just couldn't resist....

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 22nd, 2006, 01:36 PM
Stellaluna's Avatar Super Mommy
I wasn't planning on starting anything until the 11th...but between reading about all your first days and getting our stuff in the mail I just couldn't resist doing some homeschooling today!

Sam woke up and I had the Sudoku board all set up (we used the color markers today). He really wanted to learn how to play so I explained the game and then did a really simple version by only removing two markers from each row. He caught on really quick and had a blast! It's a great game for logic and it's something that everybody in the family can use! After breakfast I asked him what he wanted to do first and he said he wanted to do the Bible . We're using a large print KJV Bible as a primer. We started in the book of John and we go through each verse (we do one or two a day )and he just reads whatever words he can and afterwards we highlight the words he knew so he can see his progress. Next we did the first lesson in Horizons K and then moved onto reading. We reviewed our blends cards and read the first lesson in our McGuffey Eclectic Primer. I had some blank index cards and the highlighter out and after we read the McGuffey lesson he wanted to write the words in the lesson on the cards to make a sentence. So he wrote cards for "The", "Cat", "And", "The", "Rat". As he was writing them he was telling me a story about how the cat and the rat have magical swords that come out of their hands and that they have a battle with a lady named flower (so he added a "Flower" index card ). Then he took the cards and taped them into a little blank story book and drew some pictures to go along with the story. I had planned on doing spelling and handwriting but he covered those with his story cards so we stopped there for the day. A little bit later the mail came and we got our Letter Cubes! I had already had the Blends set but had to order the CVC set. Sam LOVED these..I would highly reccomend them to anybody who had a kid who likes manipulatives! He played with them for a good half and hour, figuring out how to make all different words.

So, we didn't stick exactly to plan but he learned a ton and most importantly had FUN!

Just wanted to share our unofficial "first day"!

<span style="font-family:Comic Sans MS">Homeschooling Mom to Sam (3-21-02)

My Photography Website

My Blog - Pollywog in a Blog</span>
August 22nd, 2006, 01:45 PM
Willowkarr's Avatar Coupon Blogger
Congrats! Sounds like you had a blast! I am going to check out that Letter Cubes site, my son fell in love with Math-U-See, so anything like that I am sure he'll have fun with.
August 22nd, 2006, 01:55 PM
Stellaluna's Avatar Super Mommy
If you click on it in my post it will take you right to the site (same thing with the Sudoku board)!

<span style="font-family:Comic Sans MS">Homeschooling Mom to Sam (3-21-02)

My Photography Website

My Blog - Pollywog in a Blog</span>
August 22nd, 2006, 02:01 PM
Shery's Avatar Mega Super Mommy

It sounds like a great first day...official or not .
August 22nd, 2006, 02:36 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Whoo hoo what a great first day!

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
August 22nd, 2006, 03:43 PM
KarateMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to KarateMom
Yay! What fun!

You're never fully dressed without a SMILE!!

August 23rd, 2006, 10:27 AM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am getting antsy for our first day here! Stop it you guys!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search