OMG! My son doesn't know his ABCs!?!??

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 22nd, 2006, 04:14 PM
Willowkarr's Avatar Coupon Blogger
He is 6, I know he is behind in writing, but I just discovered why....he doesn't know his ABCs!!! My 3 year old does, and loves to sing it, but Preston just opted to not sing it, and I never forced him, well today we were working on Phonics.....he has NO CLUE! I am so mad at public schools right now!!!! And to think, I was thinking about giving up, because he really wanted to go to public school, or so he insisted that he did today. You see, he said, "I like you being my teacher, but I want to go to regular school." I asked him why, and all I got was "I just do" well, we got to really talking later and the real reason was because he wanted to have resses (sp?) and play on the slides. So I told him, that instead of just playing in the field, I can take him to the park down the road. Then he was happy about being homeschooled again. But before we really talked about it, I almost gave up and enrolled him back in public school. I am SO glad I didn't!? What 1st grader doesn't know his ABCs!? Obviously, my son, but I think that his teachers were REALLY slacking! He knew them before K, but him & I never really worked on it, not since he started K, I guess I should have been, but I didn't think he'd lost it. I am getting a LOT of crying these past two days from him, because "I can't do it" but I know he can, so I tell him to stop, and calm down, go do something else, but he refuses and keeps trying, but I get another "I can't do it!" and then he starts throwing a fit, jumping up and down, throwing things, and even banging his head. OMG!? What do I do about that? I already asked him to stop what he is doing and go to something else, he is to hard on himself, and I don't know how to fix that. Ok, rant over, but help still needed, thanx.
August 22nd, 2006, 04:27 PM
Phoenix Rising's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It is not at all unusual for a child of 6 to not recognize his ABC's. My daughter didnt read or recognize all her letters until first grade and she took off from there. I know what you mean though about "what are the PS taeching?!?" because we had the same issues when our daughter was in gr 3 and we removed her for homeschooling due to an illness. Needless to say she never went back.

I think that right now, given his age you need to make things fun for a bit and slowly work your way into the harder topics. Alot of this can just be him testing the limits because now you are "teacher mom" and not just mom so you have to reign him in somehow and teach him that learning can be fun, he isnt stupid, he CAN do it etc.

The first thing that you need to do is get him to learn those ABC's! Here are some ideas off the top of my head...

Write several letters (starting at the beginning of the alphabet) in sidewalk chalk on the driveway. Have him jump on the letters that you call out.

Get some of the foam sticky letters for the bathtub. Stick them on the tub wall and have him use a water gun to squirt the letters off the wall as you call them out.

Play ABC bingo

Have a letter of the day - do an activity to go with it. A is for apples so make homemade apple sauce or have apples with peanut butter for snack.

Have him use sponge letters and sponge paint the letter of the day

Sponge paint the letters on the driveway with water

Reward him! For every hour that he sits down, and at least tries to learn without a temper tantrum put a star on a chart. After he gets, say, 10 stars (which would be around 3 days) do something little but special. He gets a small toy (think dollar store here!) or treat from a special container. You make ice cream sundae's. He gets to choose snacks for the day, he gets an extra half hour of time on the computer or tv.

I can't emphasize enough the amazing things that computer games can teach your child either. Get him a jump start phonics game. It will teach him the letter AND the sounds that they make. My daughter is 6 and has been reading for over a year because of a game like that one. No on taught her how to read, she just played the game a few times, caught onto the method and started reading out of MY books.

You can do this and so can he!!

HUGS!
August 22nd, 2006, 05:16 PM
Thanx! I will definatly have to try those!!!!
August 22nd, 2006, 06:42 PM
Stellaluna's Avatar Super Mommy
The Leap Frog " The Letter Factory" (teaches the letters and sounds) and "The Word Factory" (introduces combining the sounds of the letters to make words) are awesome too . Don't worry, he'll have it down before you know it!

<span style="font-family:Comic Sans MS">Homeschooling Mom to Sam (3-21-02)

My Photography Website

My Blog - Pollywog in a Blog</span>
August 22nd, 2006, 07:17 PM
Frelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via ICQ to Frelle Send a message via AIM to Frelle Send a message via Yahoo to Frelle
we love the letter factory dvds too!

Thank you BAM for my signature!!

August 22nd, 2006, 07:20 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Unless things change I can very easily see my daughter taking till 6 till learn all her ABC's. Not through lacking of trying on my part either. I can honestly say she only knows one letter extreamly well and that is S, then she knows P fairly well and M sometimes.

I was going to sugest all those kinds of games that myfairladies already did. I will add

Glue things starting with the letter sound onto large printouts of the letters. I am going to try and colour some rice red for the letter R as well as have some ribbon to glue on. http://www.free-printables.com/archive/Alphabet/

Play Monster munch. Find and feed the corect magnetic letters to the monster. I used a monster print out from the book 'Go away big green monster' but of course can not find it now. A monster face is easy enough to draw, just cut a hole for his mouth. I glued mine onto cardboard and sat it above a box. My daughter loves for me to speak for the monster 'I'm hungry, were are my letters' 'munch munch gobble' etc.

make an ABC book. Find pictures or other flat glueable things and do a 1-2 page spread for each letter.

Have him play on http://www.starfall.com/ , http://www.kiddonet.com/gb/flash/phonics/Intro.html and download http://www.studydog.com/

This site also has some great sheets for alphabet learning-
http://www.teachersandfamilies.com/open/ps...hTheme=alphabet

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
August 23rd, 2006, 08:54 AM
AWESOME thanx guys! I found out that he did not know his letters when I was giving him a placement test, and he really tried, but didn't get it. This morning I hear my younger son singing the ABC's it was so cute.
August 23rd, 2006, 10:08 AM
KarateMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to KarateMom
My daughter LOVES Study Dog! She actually asked to play it yesterday! Level 1 really covers a big range of different reading skills.
Sorry to hear about your trouble, but don't fret. You'll have him caught up in no time.

You're never fully dressed without a SMILE!!

August 23rd, 2006, 10:18 AM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The ladies here are just great. I do have a little trick that I have been using for a month now and it really works. If Eli gets stressed or upset about something he is learning I calm him down with a hug and a kiss on top of his head. And then I give him some bach's rescue rememdy (homeopathic) and then after a few minutes of rest with his eyes closed and slow breathing I help him again. It works everytime. It reminds me so much of laboring women. They get to that hard part of labor and they just need someone to hug them and to help them breathe...someone who believes in them. So when it gets hard or my son just freaks I do a little coaching to get him back on track. And once he is doing well I give him lots of praise.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search