how do you deal with your own social life and things you want

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 24th, 2006, 08:20 AM
Mega Super Mommy
The more I think about it the more I would really like to homeschool our children. There is one big thing that holds me back though.
Right now I am involved in different things that go on during the day. I go to a ladies Bible study during the week, as well as a playgroup. Also, I am been developing an interest in photography more and more, and I have done several shoots for people, and I hope someday to turn that into a small side business.

My fear is that if we homeschool, I will have to drop any daytime activities that I was involved in, and that I wouldn't have time to pursue many of my own interests.

I don't want to send my kids to a public school that I have serious doubts about just so I can have time to do the things I want to do, but at the same time, I don't want to be stuck at home all the time, and feel like I have no friends or no time to do things for me. Does that make sense? How do you handle that with homeschooling?

I don't want to homeschool if it's going to make me miserable, because I know that isn't healthy for any of us.

August 24th, 2006, 09:25 AM
Frelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via ICQ to Frelle Send a message via AIM to Frelle Send a message via Yahoo to Frelle
homeschooling doesnt take all day. And you can do it when it suits your family. Morning, afternoon, or evening. And not even the same time very day if thats ok with you and your family.

You would need to find childcare for different things during the day, like the photo shoots in particular, maybe another homeschool or stay home mom could trade off with you?

We go all over the place. Kids come with me if its feasible, and if not, I find someone to watch them. I mean, if youre ttending a BIble study, do they have child care? If not, can you find one that does, for instance?

Just some ideas. I have not had to give anything up, i have continued to be able to pursue my own interests. I find homeschool teens for daytime babysitting, or other moms.

I happen to live where there are a LOT of homeschoolers.

Just some feedback from me.

Thank you BAM for my signature!!

August 24th, 2006, 09:48 AM
Mega Super Mommy
The Bible study I attend has childcare for kids up until school age. I know I have options... things will just have to change a little I think. I am bound to be more tied up with the things my kids are doing once they get older. There is only so much time in a day, and I can't do all my stuff and all the stuff they are going to want to do. Some stuff is going to have to go no matter where are kids go to school.

There aren't a lot of other homeschoolers around here. My SIL is homeschooling for now, but she isn't sure if she is going to keep doing it.

August 24th, 2006, 02:40 PM
Willowkarr's Avatar Coupon Blogger
I don't think you have to give up anything, I can see being able to add more, but not giving it up. We even talked about doing schoolwork in the 3rd shift time, so we can have more family time and everyone sleeps together. My husband works 3rd shift and I am a SAHM, so it does makes sence, but I am unsure of what that will do to their system, so i am weary of it still, but it IS a possibility, as homeschooling can be done at any time, even broken up through out the day. It's great, and I hope you decide to go for it.
August 24th, 2006, 04:35 PM
Jenneve's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have found that I actually have more time now that my ds is home. When he was in school, it seemed I was always going to the school for some reason or other or getting calls from the nurse or teacher daily (ds is diabetic). Sometimes several times a day. And then there were the field trips, book fair, parties, etc. And of course being there to pick him up on time. Now that we're homeschooling, we can adjust our schedule as needed. My dh works shift work, so we have school whenever he's working. We usually work during the day, but we had errands today and will do our school work tonight while dh is working. I feel so much more freedom and so much less stress in my life. Good luck in your decision. It's turned out to be the best decision for us.
Jared 8/25/01
Justin 10/18/02

My blogs...
Fishers of Men *UPDATED 8/7/09*
Truely Scrumptious Cakes *UPDATED 7/28/09*

August 25th, 2006, 10:13 AM
machris's Avatar Veteran
Do you belong to a homeschool group?
I am hiring one of the teenagers in my group to watch my kids once a week while I go to the library
by myself I can't wait

one of the reasons we picked homeschooling is because My DH has weird hours, he could be gone for two weeks and then home for a week without having to go in, so we take the time with daddy and make up the school work. school doesnt have to happen school hours, sometimes we do school on Saturdays, or at night.

good luck

Mary-Ann

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search