thinking about it....

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 28th, 2006, 10:07 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Obviously I've got a ways to go but I've been thinking about homeschooling.
I'm a bit worried about her making friends though.how do you get around that? Obviously i dont want her to be lonely and unsocialized. The school system out here is awful!. when we moved here I was in grade 2 and the workbooks we were using I had used in Junior Kindergarten at my private school in Toronto. My mother was appalled. plus the fact that they have up to three grades in one class with one teacher and they dont do special education out here.
Everyone goes in the same class regardless of their levels,needs,etc. I think its great for children in the respect that it will help teach them tolerance of people with disabilities. I grew up with a sister with special needs (19 years old now but at the level of a two year old) and went to school with special needs children in my classes. It is a disruption to the class when all of a sudden one child starts yelling,screaming,jumping up and down,etc. Not to mention its unfair to the teacher!

I'm not worried about Marissa not having tolerance or acceptance for special needs people because of my sister and I have an aunt with special needs.

Financially we could afford private school (if nothing changes of course things can) but the only private schools here are religious I'm not comfortable with the idea of religious schooling.

so in short I'm thinking about it but worried about her being socialized. She has friends now.. quite a few of them all of whom will go to traditional public school so I'm worried she will be upset when the time comes if she doesnt get to go as well.

August 28th, 2006, 01:57 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I have a ways to go as well, but I am thinking about it too! I worry about her learning proper social interaction, but I am starting to think that even kids who go to public school can end up lacking "socialization" Just because children hang out in a group of kids their own age all day, doesn't mean they are really learning good social skills. I do think that friends the same age are important though, and I will encourage my kids to make friends in our town, and also at our church, and even if they go to public school, hopefully they will still feel like they can hang out together.

August 28th, 2006, 02:09 PM
ilovemy3wikids
this topic says alot about it!

http://www.justmommies.com/boards/in...owtopic=315225
August 28th, 2006, 02:19 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Kindergarten workbooks in grade 2! That is awful. Now is the best time to start thinking about your schooling options. You can research calmly without a looming enrolment decision.
Just my 2cents, but I don't think ps or privet school socialization helps with tolerance. I think school yards are about the most intolerant places you can find on the planet. Kids form clicks and you are either in or you areout. Growing up with a special needs sibling would have been what taught you the importance of tolerance. I believe this how children learn socialization and tolerance the best, within a family situation.

It does happen somewhat that when the children reach 5 or even before they can seemingly disappear with the start of school. You have to make an conscience effort to keep up any of those friendships that you think are important. See if you can arrange Saturday play dates. Also you will find a new pool of friends. There may be a homeschooling group near by which should welcome you even now. often there will be younger children as they have older siblings who attend the group. Also you can sometimes find new friends from classes and interests such as dance, swimming, Brownies etc.

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
August 28th, 2006, 06:19 PM
Mega Super Mommy
It can easily be solved in younger years by community sports, dance, and other community events (libbary) or if your lucky enough a homeschool group. As your children get older they will keep the frinds they make in thouse activities or make other friends bast on the activities they part-take in then.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search