How's everyone doing?

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 28th, 2006, 07:35 PM
KarateMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to KarateMom
Just wondering how school is going for y'all?
I made my lesson plan for the week yesterday, so that feels good. I wish I could have it done for the year like SOME of you girls, but this is better than nothing! Baby steps here, baby steps!
Today had some rough patches at the end of the day, but I'm going to make a few little changes tomorrow that I think will make a difference.

You're never fully dressed without a SMILE!!

August 28th, 2006, 08:04 PM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We are doing good. Elijah and I am just SO ready to start the 2nd grade. Isn't that just something else? I have a second grader! He is doing really great and I am just so impressed with what he has learned in his first grade year. I remember looking at those books at the start of first and thinking there is NO WAY he can do this stuff. I have never had to really teach him. He just gets it. It is amazing.

Remy loves doing his "little" work and I love it too. When we do our songs and hand motions he gets so happy and always ends up hugging me and telling me he loves his school work. *sigh*

We are just at a good patch right now. But we too have had our rough patches as well.

August 28th, 2006, 08:46 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I think I'll have to get new stuff next month miguels just flying. I never thought he would get through the CDroms so fast. Now I'm looking at getting some "real" school stuff. So maby he'll slow down a bit. any Idea how to get throw 900 hours?

August 29th, 2006, 06:34 AM
LuckyGirlx4's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Just wondering how school is going for y'all?
I made my lesson plan for the week yesterday, so that feels good. I wish I could have it done for the year like SOME of you girls, but this is better than nothing! Baby steps here, baby steps!
Today had some rough patches at the end of the day, but I'm going to make a few little changes tomorrow that I think will make a difference.[/b]

I had hoped to have my lesson plans done for the year, but I've only gotten September done, so I'm hoping that I can at least be working the next months each month. I think it will probably work out this way for this year while I"m learning, so I can change things around if they aren't working out. We don't start homeschooling until Sept. 5- since we are moving on the 1st . I'm looking forward to starting! I've also recently found a new co-op so that will be cool! I also found a Homeschooling support/play group for kids with special needs so I am excited at the prospect of Anika meeting other homeschooled special needs kids and for Madison and Corbin to meet other siblings!

</div>
August 29th, 2006, 10:03 AM
Phoenix Rising's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Things are going great here - especially since we dont start back to school until after Labour Day

Actually its really weird because the girls are asking to start school again now and I keep putting it off because we have been busy.

Ashley is going into 9th grade and she is a little freaked out about her math program for the year and to be honest so am I so I am having my husband, the human calculator teach her that subject this year. OMGosh I have a HIGHSCHOOLER! ACK!
August 29th, 2006, 03:44 PM
Shery's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We are still doing good, as long as I have nothing else going on but school. Yesterday, I had some Ebay stuff that Had to be done as well as some house stuff. Our schedule got off to a late start, but went smoothly. We just finished a little later. Today, we had to finish and get to the barber for the boys' haircuts. It cuts into the schedule to have anything else planned. I hope to stay on track tomorrow. It still feels great to be back on a schdule, though.
August 30th, 2006, 07:01 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We're doing good. Halfway into Week 2. We've been studying prehistoric times for History and birds for Science. Went to the library last week and E was excited to find a book on Prehistoric Birds- a perfect fit! We got another big box in the mail yesterday with our Math and English books so we can really get rolling now. I also made a visit to the local teachers store this week. How cool are those places! They had the best toys - Santa is doing all his shopping there this year!

SciGuy,14 Butterfly Girl,12 Wyldchild,7 FlowerFairy,5 and Babybird,3

and RK, 13, exchange student from Japan

My Homeschooling Blog:
August 30th, 2006, 07:17 AM
Jenneve's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So far so good. It's kind of slow-going since we only work when my dh is at work (he has 14 days off a month). We just finished week 3 yesterday. My 7 year old is doing great in his spelling & math; two subjects he had trouble with in public school, so I'm thrilled! I'm not loving the preschool plan I had, so I'm in the process of figuring something else out there. But they are all so eager to learn and are always asking to do school. I just love it! So I guess in all, we're doing pretty good here.
Jared 8/25/01
Justin 10/18/02

My blogs...
Fishers of Men *UPDATED 8/7/09*
Truely Scrumptious Cakes *UPDATED 7/28/09*

August 30th, 2006, 07:52 AM
persephonewillow's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
not doing well at all... because it's nearly impossible to get started with the other neighbourhood kids still out of school! i'm trying to ease into school this year with 15 minutes of quiet reading time a day. but wouldn't you know that the kids' friends are at the door *all the time*... during that 15 minutes there are numerous knocks and calls through the screen 'are you done yet?'. ARG.

(we live in a complex that has a gazillion kids... and our backyard faces the neighbourhood playset/park/common area, so the kids come to our back sliding doors rather than our front door. this is normally really great because i don't worry about the whole socialization thing (ha!) with the kids, but the last week or so... i think the neighbourhood kids are just trying to get in their last yahoos before they have to go back to school because things have been crazier than normal)
<div align="center"><span style="color:#663366">I reject your reality and substitute my own. - Adam Savage
</div>
<div align="center"></div>
August 30th, 2006, 10:15 AM
ilovemy3wikids
It's going good. Hailey loves doing school, the only thing I wish is that it was a little harder for her sometimes she flies right through it!
August 30th, 2006, 11:16 AM
machris's Avatar Veteran
we start September 5th when Dh goes back to work

I'm not ready

Mary-Ann

August 30th, 2006, 07:46 PM
Willowkarr's Avatar Coupon Blogger
We have our rough days and our great days, if Pret isn't interested one day, I'll just let him do Math (he loves math). But I tell him that he has to work harder next time, and he has been doing pretty good with that so far. DH is concerned about that, he still keeps saying "You know, it isn't to late to put him in public school" I know he only wants what is best for Pret, but I KNOW that this IS best. DH thinks he MUST do school EVERYDAY! Personally, I think he must do school.....just doesn't have to be everyday, ya know. If he isn't interested, i don't want to push him to hard, cause then he will hate it, and I don't want that. Trying to get through the first year is tough as it is I'm sure/ I, myself, have been thinking, "Well, public school doesn't start till next week, I can still put him in." but then I look at his composition book, and see how much progress he has made so fast, and I KNOW that there is NO WAY he would have come that far, if I put him in public school. My 6 year old is doing multiplicatioN! PS wanted to put him in remedial math "He just doesn't understand numbers" when the problem was they were giving him to easy of work, and he wasn't interested. So, yea, I have my bad moments, but to make it better, I just realize how much worse it could be!!
August 31st, 2006, 10:58 AM
fullhouseinNov06's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Things are going great here - especially since we dont start back to school until after Labour Day

Actually its really weird because the girls are asking to start school again now and I keep putting it off because we have been busy.

Ashley is going into 9th grade and she is a little freaked out about her math program for the year and to be honest so am I so I am having my husband, the human calculator teach her that subject this year. OMGosh I have a HIGHSCHOOLER! ACK! [/b]

I have an 8th grader this year. We pulled him out of the public school last year at 7th grade, and now we are using a charter school. Anyways...he tested in 5th grade math (2 grade levels behind), so we have been doing the math that the school has given us, but I'm scared about how I'm going to teach him the upper grades, since obviously math is his weaker subject, & mine also. I was thinking on venturing out and getting him a different curriculum in math as time goes on. What are you using for 9th grade math? I'd be curious to see how you are liking it throughout the year.

Thanks,

Cheryl

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search