preschool suggestions?

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 30th, 2006, 12:53 PM
Jenneve's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have been doing Letter of the Week with my younger 2 kids. We've struggled through the 1st 2 weeks and I just can't take it any more. It looked so fun on the website, but once I actually started doing it, it just seems so dry and dull and I always feel like I'm fumbling around. It doesn't flow well at all. So now I'm looking for something else to do with them. I want something with plenty of hands-on that teaches alphabet (recognition & sounds), numbers (recognition & counting), and shapes at the very least. They know their colors very well and the older of the 2 can count to 10 usually without messing up, however he does tend to go straight to 11 from 6 at times. It seems like everything I look at does mostly themes (dinosaurs, beach, bugs, etc) and that's fine. I love that, but there's no "academics" to go along with the themes. It would be nice to do a theme unit to help *reinforce* the lesson, rather than the theme being the whole lesson, KWIM? So here I am, looking for thoughts and/or suggestions, or even websites if anyone can point me in a good direction. Thanks in advance.
Jared 8/25/01
Justin 10/18/02

My blogs...
Fishers of Men *UPDATED 8/7/09*
Truely Scrumptious Cakes *UPDATED 7/28/09*

August 30th, 2006, 02:15 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I make my own letter themes. I don't know how successful I am at getting my daughter to actually learn her letters from it though lol. But I'm trying. I don't think there is an online free type programme apart from letter of the week. I looked at that a year ago and decided it wasn't quite me. I just take a letter (currently going through the letters in dd name) then go to the numerous sites I have saved and see what I like. I then copy the page or sometimes just an idea into a Word document. For example we are at the end of letter R r now(just red and rabbit to go) and I saved things on rainbows, rectangles, Rabbits, rubbings, a pet rock and red. We only 'do school' at best 3 times per week. Either life intervenes or dd would rather play. I have sites that I print out sheets, and flash cards from. We always go to DTLK kids and make there letter character and print out there letter book. With every letter we do I print out a large template of it and we glue items starting with the letter onto it. I am going to attempt to make some red rice today to glue onto our R r template. lol except it will probably turn out pink. I figured rice still starts with rr We also play a couple of game with letter magnets one is a kind of hide and seek trail were she has to find the letters and there 'shadows' (paper that I have drawn around the magnets on) and match the letters to the shadows. In The other game my daughter has to feed the letter monster. (Used a printout from the book Go away big green monster) The monster will only eat the correct letter and will grumble and spit out anything incorrect. Mummy is the monster voice of course, and my daughter thinks it's hilarious. of course she does tend to enjoy feeding it incorrectly But I can usually tell when she's doing that on purpose.

As to numbers I have not been doing much on that. I figured with my dd who can't remember her letters that trying to remember a number as well would be too much.

If you look up in the projects links section you will see some preschool sites I have posted.

feel free to ask me more about any of the above. I hope it wasn't as clear as mud but then it is 7am and I am not a morning person.

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
August 30th, 2006, 07:32 PM
Willowkarr's Avatar Coupon Blogger
You know what!? I have never heard of this site before. Looking at it...I think it is exactly what my younger son needs. Sorry I can't help you, but thank you for helping me!!!!
August 30th, 2006, 09:01 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
LOl your welcome Willowkarr. Go and look in the project section at the links I posted.

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
September 2nd, 2006, 09:11 AM
I used a cd from Discovery Toys called "Sounds Like Fun". It's a bunch of cute little songs about the alphabet and letter sounds and counting and numbers. I absolutely love it! I don't know how you could get one except to locate a DT rep and order it. You can go to www.discoverytoysinc.com and click on find a consultant. I really think that cd was a factor in my kids reading at an early age (4).

PamJ

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search