We Had a Hard Day :(

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 31st, 2006, 06:15 PM
Shery's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Madison and I that is.
I don't know if everyone knows her situation, but she was diagnosed with ADD in the 3rd grade. She did GREAT on Concerta, however, last year after I started homeschooling her, she asked to try to do without it. We have given it a good try. I have worked really hard with her, but it just is not benefitting her. She is so terribly distracted sometimes. She could be in a room alone and still be distracted on her bad days. It is not doing anything positive for her. She feels good when she does it, but she also acknowledges that it is just really hard. She knows that it isn't right to feel the way that she does...so distracted and unable to remember something from one minute to the next. I remember on the Concerta her saying that she feels "calm"....because she wasn't fighting to keep her head above the water and filter everything out.
It has been a real struggle today and it hasn't been good for either of us. I know that there are things that she can learn to compensate to allow her to do this on her own, but she isn't even "available" a lot lately to even learn them. In this I mean that she is so distracted inside that she is putting all of her energy into understanding the one thing that she is trying to do at that time. I am so torn about what to do. I just feel bad watching her struggle when I remember how well she did on the medication...just one pill a day. She didn't even have negative side affects from it. I just feel like a failure. I feel like one of the main advantages to homeschooling is that Madison should be able to go without the medicine. However, she and I are both getting very frustrated and it is very counter productive...for all of us, even the boys. "sigh"
I think I am going to call the Dr. tomorrow to get her in for a prescription. I guess I will put her on it and then decide, with her, if it is better to the point of staying on it. I want her to have a decision in it too. However, if she doesn't want to take it, then she has got to be willing to make the adjustments she needs to function without it, if indeed that is possible.
There are some days when she gets up and goes through the day like there is nothing wrong, then there are days...and weeks....like today and this week has been.
"sigh"
My heart is breaking tonight. I am so sad. Really, Really, Really sad. I love my baby girl....I just don't know what to do.
September 1st, 2006, 01:40 AM
dreamspirals's Avatar Veteran
You're not a failure. I've had ADD my whole life so I know exactly what she's feeling. That commercial where it says it feels life the channels keep changing in your head and you can't control the remote is the best description I've ever heard. Best advice I can tell you is she'll learn, just not like everyone else. To this day I can not sit down for a few hours and study. It's just not going to happen, even on meds my mind can't do that. I can still learn everything anyone else can, just in shorter spurts. As far as meds go, I'm torn. I never had meds till I was in my mid-twenties. That calm she feels on the meds is amazing because your own mind never produces that calm on it's own. On one hand, I'm really glad I didn't have the meds growing up because I learned my own ways of dealing with distractions that help me a lot as an adult. On the other hand, I think I would've saved myself a lot of struggle if I could've had something to help me concentrate. I screwed up a lot of classes I knew inside and out simply because when it came time to do the assignments my mind was bouncing all over the place. Looking back, I'd have taken the meds. I'm off them at the moment because I found out I was pregnant and I just haven't started back on them since I miscarried. Not being on the meds sucks. This post was really hard for me to finish, I've already gotten distracted twice just typing this. I'll be going back on them this week. There's no way I could homeschool my kids without them. Just do what feels right for you both. If she's calm and feels better on the meds then take them. We're all imperfect with imperfect bodies, a little help isn't a bad thing.

BTW, don't feel sad for her. There are benifits to ADD too. People with ADD can be extremely creative and good at thinking outside the box. A good part of who I am is because I've had ADD and I really like who I am.

September 1st, 2006, 06:09 AM
Shery's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
You're not a failure. I've had ADD my whole life so I know exactly what she's feeling. That commercial where it says it feels life the channels keep changing in your head and you can't control the remote is the best description I've ever heard. Best advice I can tell you is she'll learn, just not like everyone else. To this day I can not sit down for a few hours and study. It's just not going to happen, even on meds my mind can't do that. I can still learn everything anyone else can, just in shorter spurts. As far as meds go, I'm torn. I never had meds till I was in my mid-twenties. That calm she feels on the meds is amazing because your own mind never produces that calm on it's own. On one hand, I'm really glad I didn't have the meds growing up because I learned my own ways of dealing with distractions that help me a lot as an adult. On the other hand, I think I would've saved myself a lot of struggle if I could've had something to help me concentrate. I screwed up a lot of classes I knew inside and out simply because when it came time to do the assignments my mind was bouncing all over the place. Looking back, I'd have taken the meds. I'm off them at the moment because I found out I was pregnant and I just haven't started back on them since I miscarried. Not being on the meds sucks. This post was really hard for me to finish, I've already gotten distracted twice just typing this. I'll be going back on them this week. There's no way I could homeschool my kids without them. Just do what feels right for you both. If she's calm and feels better on the meds then take them. We're all imperfect with imperfect bodies, a little help isn't a bad thing.

BTW, don't feel sad for her. There are benifits to ADD too. People with ADD can be extremely creative and good at thinking outside the box. A good part of who I am is because I've had ADD and I really like who I am.

[/b]
Thankyou! Thankyou so much. You don't know what your post meant to me this morning!! I wish that I could erased yesterday because I have tried so hard to be completely supportive and understanding of what she is going through...I failed yesterday. Just that one day, but I regret it. I am going to try not to expect too much today. I am going to call for her appointment and try to go in Monday with her. I wish I had never taken her off, but then again, I would have always wondered if she could have done it on her own at home.
Thanks again for your note. You'll never know what it meant to me!
Sherri
September 1st, 2006, 06:32 AM
KarateMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to KarateMom
Hey, there, I just wanted to give you some and tell you that I hope you have a GREAT FANTASTIC WONDERFUL day today!

You're never fully dressed without a SMILE!!

September 1st, 2006, 12:26 PM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Wow, what a great reply you got from dreamspirals! I for one can't wait to meet you or your family. I know that you guys are great. And your daughter was not failed. You give her the right to her own body and that my dear will go very far.

September 1st, 2006, 02:39 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I had certain issues growing up. My parents took me to various places but never did get diagnosed. I was on one medication my entire childhood for something else and that gave me quite a few side effects so I doubt my parents would have wanted any more medications. One side effect was a sedating effect so that probably kept me pretty quiet in class. One dietician said I was hyperactive is all, to take away yellow food colourings. But I always thought I had distractible tendencies. Anything longer then 20 minutes without a break and I kind of loose the plot. Taking meds long term is a pita I know, I took medication from 2 to 35 years. All this to say I feel for both of you. I would be taking it if there weren’t some worse side effect that she would have to deal with. to you all.

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search