What a GREAT field trip!!

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 6th, 2006, 07:31 AM
Jenneve's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My sister and I took our kids on a field trip Monday to a local place called Homestead Heritage. It's a group of people who live there and live very simply. I thought they were Mennonites, but my sister said no. Regardless, they don't push their religion at all, but they open up their place to the public and show how they live, sell the things they make, etc. We watched them make Sorghum syrup, spin yarn, blacksmithing, make pottery, soap making. Oh the list just goes on and on! Everything they make/use is done by hand! It's just awesome! We visited their gristmill where they grind their own wheat/flour. They have a huge herb garden, a pottery shop, a blacksmithing shop, a handmade furniture shop. We had such a great time! We were there for about 3 hours, but it just wasn't enough time! None of us were ready to leave, but we had to (my nieces had to get to work).
Jack was so intrigued by it all. He was just so precious. He would get right in front (when we were watching someone make something) and watched so intently asking dozens of questions. What a learning experience! Several times he would tell me "Thanks for bringing us here, Mom!" We're going back the weekend after Thanksgiving for their next event. I just can't wait! It's going to be great.
BTW, I bought a jar of their Sorghum syrup and a package of their Gingerbread mix. I can't wait to make it and use the syrup!
I'll have to post pics when my sister emails them to me. I forgot my camera!!
Jared 8/25/01
Justin 10/18/02

My blogs...
Fishers of Men *UPDATED 8/7/09*
Truely Scrumptious Cakes *UPDATED 7/28/09*

September 6th, 2006, 08:36 AM
Shery's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
That sounds great. I know that Madison would love that. I always loved visiting the Amish in Penn. My dad would be there for the summer working on the pipeline, so I would get to stay there with the for a couple of weeks during my summer break from college. I was always intrigued with how they lived, but really wouldn't want to live that way. I know it is all so simple and real, but they had to work so hard. I don't mind working hard, but it seems to me that the women did everything except the field work. Oh, I know the men would do a barn raising now and then and all, but those women worked HARD every day all day.
I would love to go there and experience it. I wish we had a place around here where we could take the kids. I think it would be so good for them to see how it once was...how easy they have it now. What a great trip!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search