Have to share :)

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 6th, 2006, 07:19 PM
ilovemy3wikids
OOhhhhh I love homeschooling

First my DD is a math wiz! I hate math and dreaded teaching it to her but she is so smart, pics up on it so quick, and it's her fav subject!

2nd I came up with 2 great ideas that are working, out of my very own head, go me! LOL

For her phonics program ( SAXON) we read chicka chicka boom boom and I made haileys cocunut letter tree on poster board and every week when we get through a letter she gets to decorate the letter and hang it on the tree ( will take pics soon!)

For her reading she hasn't been wanting to even though I know she is capable so we got a huge pink piece of poster booard and every time she reads a book with no mistakes ( we are doing 1st and 2nd readers) we write the name of the book and she gets a quarter to donate to charity. She LOVES the idea and has read 5 books in 2 days !

we have done the letters L O and G
September 7th, 2006, 06:07 AM
KarateMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to KarateMom
What great ideas!!
I've been writing the books that Bear reads on little pieces of paper that look like tulips and taping them in rows on the wall. Hopefully the wall will eventually be covered with tulips!.....although, now that I think about it, I may change them to fall leaves which is a little more seasonal!

You're never fully dressed without a SMILE!!

September 7th, 2006, 09:37 AM
choshojo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Awesome ideas! And I'm glad to hear things are going so smoothly for you! We're off to a great start this year, too!

I think I'm going to use an idea that we used when I was a child in school, but maybe modify it a bit as my son is younger than I was when we did the project:

We made bookworms. We each started out with a head and then we got a segment for each book we read after writing up a little report on each book. There were different colors depending on the genre of book it was we read. I did this in my 4th-6th grade classroom (I was in a multi-unit classroom, which was great as we were able to learn at our levels, not just our grade... more schools should have this option, IMO); my son doesn't quite get into many different genres of books, although his reading level is between that of a 2nd-3rd grader, so I'm sure I can come up with some genres that are appropriate for him to make the different colors out of. One of my fondest memories of school was making these, so I wanted to incorporate them into my son's experience, too.

I think I will have to make it for chapter books only. My son reads both chapter books and story books, but he's been reading story books for so long and reads so many of them (often 5-10 a day) that I don't want to use them as well... or maybe he could earn a segment for reading 5 story books; that could be one of the colors for the genres even (LOL... working out the idea as I type this post... too funny! ).

Keep up the great work, everyone!

September 7th, 2006, 09:44 AM
machris's Avatar Veteran
That is great! I like your idea

how is the baby doing?

mine has turned into a MONSTER everytime she sees the box of books come out she starts to scream!

ugh

M-A

September 7th, 2006, 10:42 AM
ilovemy3wikids
Logans getting better but now my dad is living here too so he helps to watch him while I do schooling with Hailey, that really helps
September 7th, 2006, 11:14 AM
choshojo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
That's so awesome! I'm sure she loves it (it certianly looks like she does)!

We are going shopping later today and I'm going to pick up a few school supplies I've discovered we didnn't have (we have so much stuff we've gotten at many different times, it's hard to keep track... I should organize a bit better! LOL) and I'm going to start working on my bookworm tonight after DS goes to bed so I can present the idea to him tomorrow! Hooray!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search