Anyone HomeSchooling from

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 8th, 2006, 04:55 AM
KarateMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to KarateMom
You absolutely do make sense!! (Just wanted to ease your fears on that!)
As far as boxed curriculum goes, I don't have very much to say about that because the only boxed curriculum we used for Kindergarten was Horizons Math, which I liked. It does end up getting a little advanced, and we stopped using it this year (we bought it halfway through last year so we only got halfway through it!) because dd and I were both getting really frustrated and having a really hard time with it.
I've heard some really good things about both Saxon and Abeka math.
Here are the other things that we used for Kindergarten:
  • I bought an "all inclusive" kindergarten curriculum book from Sam's, which is like Costco, and picked and chose from that - dd already knew some of the things that were in there.
  • We used "An Ordinary Parents Guide to Teaching Reading" for our reading program and I LOVE it! We went up through the end of the "beginning blends" section, then I made a book of all the "stories" in there and use those as reading practice. We will start back with that next week, beginning with ending blends. It's a good mix of phonics and sight.
  • We did some activities using Five in a Row, although we've done more of that this year than we did last year.
  • I'm sorry to tell you that I used a lot of ideas that I got off the internet for games and things to make learning more fun. We've got a pretty good "Ideas" subforum going here in this board, and I know that Jo from Australia has put a lot of links up there for different sites.
I tried to approach Kindergarten with the mindset that the most important things are the basics - letter recognition and writing (upper and lower case), number recognition and writing (we went up to 100), counting, basic reading, basic math ideas (adding makes the number higher, subtracting makes the number lower, patterning, that type of thing). I know that there are people out there who add in science and social studies and foreign language and all those types of things, and that's great if it works for you. I know that I, personally, would be losing my mind if I was trying to teach all those things on top of the basics!

Take a deep breath....go on, now....I'm waiting....OK....YOU CAN DO THIS. Don't give yourself an ulcer over kindergarten. OK? Kindergarten is mostly about fun, it's not about book learnin'. Trust me, I was the one giving myself an ulcer last year over kindergarten (just ask Jo, she had to bring me back to earth at least 10 times last year!) and in the end, everything ended up great and dd ended up learning things!

If you look at my blog (the link is in my siggie) I think I posted a lot of the games and things that we did last year. I just started it last January, so you'd have to go back in the archives a little bit. And check out the Ideas subforum.

Hope any of this rambling helped!

You're never fully dressed without a SMILE!!

September 8th, 2006, 06:42 AM
Mega Super Mommy
My cericulum comsists of Dollar store math and phonics book. Leap pad videos (math curcus, and letter factory), Computer games (study dog, reader rabbit, tux typer and any other that looks intresting) a dry erase board for writing, and educational games. Also tons of fieldtrips, crafts and a libbary card. I'm looking into math-u-see because hands on math is hard to find. For socail studies and science we watch Videos and descus them (popular macanics for kids has a lot and public telivision) we also do science experiments.

A lot I think is trial and error and what you can afford. If you want "book stuff" or "hands on" I'm sorry I can't help anymore then that. I would look at amizon (sp) for the user comments so you can really investigate who liked it and who hated it and why. again sorry I can't help more.

September 8th, 2006, 09:09 AM
KarateMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to KarateMom
There is also a homeschooling curriculum review site that I've found very helpful. Here's the link:
Curriculum Review

You're never fully dressed without a SMILE!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search