destractions

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 8th, 2006, 11:25 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm starting to have the problem that miguel is just way to destracted. He knows how to read but gets destracted it can just be a black on white paper and the corner of the paper destracts him from reading. He can do worksheets (like two a day) He'll read his own (on the computer if no one is around and I'm just getting SOOOOO frustrated. Should I just not bother with pressing HIM reading bookd sence he reads and just continue reading aloud?
He seems like he has the same problem as I do and I don't want that for him. I can't read a book without pics or somthing to entertain me.It acually so bad that my husband reads my textbook to me. I can sit and have conversations all day but if somthing reqiures to much reading I just can't do it I'll get board driffed of and have no idea where I was or what was going on it's horrible on tests. I don't want the tears and frustration like that again. The only one in our house that likes to read,besides pichtrue books is my husband and he refuses to teach him to read.
Please some ideas to help keep peace. I wish that I had the pasions that my husband has to read and I don't want to force miguel because I want him to love reading. AHHHH

September 9th, 2006, 06:13 AM
Shery's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Wow, that's hard. I feel for anyone who doesn't enjoy reading because it is such a wonderful thing.
My daughter has a terrible time with it as well. I had to smile when you were talking about the corner of the paper distracting him...that's how Madison has always been. I call it an internal distraction. When she is like that, there doesn't have to be anything to distract her, she just is.
With Madison, I have just never forced her to read. Even with the accelerated reading books that were required for school...I read them to her. Otherwise, she would have failed all of the dumb little tests that she was made to take on them. Now, I see her pick up books to read now and then. Right now, she is reading "Are You There God it's Me Margaret". She is loving that book more than any I have seen because it is something she relates to.
Just make sure that he reads to you enough that he learns how, but other than that, just KEEP READING to him. I think that is the best way to teach them to love it.
Good luck...I know it is hard.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search