so... how do you break up your days/subjects?

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 10th, 2006, 07:15 PM
persephonewillow's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
do you do several subjects a day? or do you concentrate on only one subject per day?

right now we do one subject per day... if it leads to other discussions/subjects we go with it... if not that's okay too, we have the whole day to get into whatever subject we're working on.

i'm wondering if we're the only ones who do this... should i be doing more than one subject per day with them?
<div align="center"><span style="color:#663366">I reject your reality and substitute my own. - Adam Savage
</div>
<div align="center"></div>
September 10th, 2006, 07:30 PM
LuckyGirlx4's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Well, we've only been homeschooling for a week, but we do multiple subjects throughout the day. I have the month's curriculum written out, so we have goals of what I'd like to get done each day- since everything is review, we are ahead of schedule; which is nice. I just switch subjects when we are done wiht our goal. I've been encorporating Our Language arts (we are working on the history of Mother goose, what nursery rhymes are, etc.) with Handwriting and journaling, etc.

</div>
September 11th, 2006, 07:25 AM
choshojo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Some days we work on several subjects and some days just one. We don't have a set schedule at all (something that was very important to me in homeschooling as it was one of the things that I didn't like about school and my son has never been very schedule-oriented).

We work on one area until we are "done" with what we sat down in mind to do with it and then depending on how long it took, we either move on to another area or take a break for playing a game or going outside or something else not really school-based.

As for our days, we have at least some schooling most days and don't follow any type of Monday-Friday routine, but we take a day off here & there depending on what else we are doing in our life.

One of the beauties of homeschooling is that as long as you accomplish your goals, you can have schooling anytime you want to.

Oh yes, we also always wait until at least 10 am to begin schooling any day. I learned quite a while ago (while I was in high school) that many children learn best after their brains have fully woken up; I know that was true for me as I had a hard time with the earlier morning schooling and my son's not much of a morning person.

September 11th, 2006, 12:49 PM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't have this planned out for sure yet...so I will have to get back to you.

September 11th, 2006, 01:52 PM
fka teresarunningmommy
Ok, here's what we are doing. We do the core subjects before lunch (math, reading, & grammar). Then after lunch we are doing a unit study. I'd like to get it all done before lunch, but can't seem to do it yet.

Teresa

Check out my running blog - Wannabe Running Mama
September 11th, 2006, 02:51 PM
Gernerally we'll do 2 or 3 subjects in a schoolday but if we are really caught up in one thing we'll just go with it. We tend to that when we are researching and writing reports.
September 11th, 2006, 07:46 PM
KarateMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to KarateMom
We do core subjects every day - math, reading, language arts - as well as a FIAR activity, which varies from day to day. It seems that most of the FIAR lessons that I've been choosing are social studies, history, or art related. I don't do any formal handwriting lessons, as it seems that she gets lots of handwriting practice through her other lessons.
We start at 9:00, or shortly after, and we usually get finished between 11:00 and 12:00.

You're never fully dressed without a SMILE!!

September 12th, 2006, 08:32 PM
Jenneve's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We usually do memory verse & Bible, spelling, history/geography, math, handwritting, & art daily. (We only do art daily because ds likes it so much and asks to do it. Otherwise, it would only be once a week.) Science is usually 2-3 days a week. Grammar is 3 days a week. Our Bible & history/geography are usually followed up with some sort of craft or activity. And alot of times our science includes an experiment or two. I'm planning on incorporating a nature study once a week, but we just haven't done it yet. We have been starting school after lunch (let the kids play outside in the morning before it gets too hot) and we're usually done in 2-3 hours depending on how many crafts/activities we have planned. I'm sure once it cools off more, I'll move our start time to the mornings after breakfast.
Jared 8/25/01
Justin 10/18/02

My blogs...
Fishers of Men *UPDATED 8/7/09*
Truely Scrumptious Cakes *UPDATED 7/28/09*

September 13th, 2006, 08:09 AM
joyfulmommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We do everything with letters in the morning (read aloud, silent reading, handwriting, journal, grammar, spelling,vocabulary, sign language, and Bible verse and devotional). I have them all kind of intertwined to the books we are reading. Then, after lunch we do math everyday, and one of science, health, history, art, or geography.

*edited to add some subjects I forgot--oops

Brooke
mom to...
Mariah
Savannah
JJ
Allison
September 13th, 2006, 10:38 AM
Phoenix Rising's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
with my girls we do math everyday as well as warm up, word of the week and various writing activities. Then we have two specific classes for each day as follows:

Grades 1&3

Monday: Language Arts and Reading Comprehension
Tuesday: Art and Music Appreciation
Wednesday: History and Baking/Cooking
Thursday: Geography and Handwriting
Friday: Science, Creative Writing and Spanish

Grade Nine

Monday: Language Arts and Literature
Tuesday: Creative Writing and Music Appreciation
Wednesday: History/Geography (its a combined curriculum) and Baking/Cooking
Thursday: Spanish and Typing
Friday: Art and Creative Writing

After lunch all grades have computers, planned reading and 9th grade does science.

We are usually done school by 2:00 for 9th grade and she does any catch up work between 2 and 2:30 - the littles are basically on their own after lunch I just have to make sure that they get their computer time and monitor their reading to ensure that they are doing it. My 1st grader reads out loud to me for around 15 minutes. Most of the time that happens at bedtime rather than in the middle of the day though.

Most days we will be schooling by 9:00 am and I try to have all the morning chores done before that time because I can't teach and they can't learn in a messy environment. Other days its around 10:00

One thing that really helps us is if we take a quick walk in the morning even if its just around the block. I don't do it here in the city because I don't find walking relaxing with all the traffic but when we move back to a smaller town we will probably do it everyday even if its just downtown and back.

I try to combine as many grade levels together as I can and simply altering the work load for the younger or older child with my 1st and 3rd graders which means that I only have to teach the class once rather than twice eleviating the burden from me
September 17th, 2006, 10:30 AM
persephonewillow's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
thanks for the replies

do you gals think i should be doing more than one subject a day? i'm not sure now.
<div align="center"><span style="color:#663366">I reject your reality and substitute my own. - Adam Savage
</div>
<div align="center"></div>

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search