Question About Homeschooling Younger Children

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 14th, 2006, 09:41 AM
MamaAshley's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hello everyone! First off I want to say that I am majorly inpressed by all of your dedication to your children to homeschool, and do the amazing things you do daily to help your children learn! You are all wonderful mothers and teachers! So, I figured i'd get some good advice about teaching my two young children. My kids are almost 3, almost 2, and 5 months. My almost 3 year old is very bright, loves to learn, and is always asking me to do "school" work with her. My son, on the other hand, though very bright, couldn't care any less about sitting and learning, he'd rather run around and play with his cars and trucks, which is fine! I'd love to start some kind of homeschooling preschool with them, but am not sure where to start. We have a few learning toys, such as Leap Frog Little Touch, which I will say they really aren't crazy about. Can you tell me what is the best way to go about teaching letters and numbers, what types of toys and such are good or them to learn from, and also if anyone has any advice on how to start teaching them simple Spanish, I would lvoe to hear you suggestions! My DD loves Dora, and has learned a few spanish words, so i'd like to continue ith a better route than just Dora! My DH's sie of the family is part Spanish so I thin it'd be great for her to know! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Have a great day!

Ashley, pre-RN student, birth doula and busy SAHM to Brianne 6, Colin 5, Kylie 4,
Bryson 2,and our lil man Noah Alexander turns one year on 7/5/10!

September 14th, 2006, 12:54 PM
Teaching my younger children I just talked alot lol I would comment all the time, for example when pouring a cup of milk I'd comment that milk starts with a M which makes the Mmmm sound. And they'd say it after me and we'd make silly faces while going Mmmm! That way it was fun and so they often asked what everyday things would start with.

We'd also play the 'I Spy with My Little Eye' game using shapes not just colours. And using sounds: I see something that starts with a D!

During bedtime stories I'd ask them to help me sound something out. At the library I'd say lets pick out a book that has a C in the title today.

I never did find any toys that really seemed to teach much in the way of letters.

As for languages I used french words in everyday sentences. For example my daughter would ask for the red crayon, I'd hand it to her saying rouge crayon for you!

Hope this helped at least a bit.
September 14th, 2006, 03:17 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Lenethren gave you some great sugestions.

Wooden blocks
threading, cards, large cotton reals then chunky beads.
jigsaw puzzles
sand, water, dirt!
Duplos
playdough
paint
paper and crayons
glue
childs sissors
books
These old fasioned kind of toys all help develop finger dexterity, most are also good for the imagination.

This link has lists of good toys, the old fasioned kind. http://www.cem.msu.edu/~leej/development-general.html

Modern toys
Some kids seem to learn from them and others not.
Fridge phonics by leap Pad. The one that you can make a variety of 3 letter words on.
Regular or with writing leap pad. I wouldn't bother with Little leap pads ext aimed at younger kinds. "Alphabet Adventures" is the main alphabet book and cartridge for regular leap pad.
Leap pad letter facory video

For your almost 3 year old I would certainly try and teach her as she shows interest, but keep it short and fun. Maybe find some fun themes free online, and do some craft, games and reading on it. There are heaps of worksheets online if your daughter enjoys them, but be carful of over using them. After a few years kids can get tired of them just when they are becoming more needed.

Games-

memery cards-
There some online where the pictures are all starting with the same sound. We played that yesterday with cards starting with rrr. At first I would just play saying what they are, then see if you can have your daughter say what they are as she picks them up. Talk about how they all start with the same sound.

Fishing-
Make fish and write a letter or number on them. You can make them all the same with some diffrent so she has to fish for the right ones. or just fish and say whats on them. or use letters of her name and fish for her name. later on this can be used with simple sums, like fish out a fish with 3+2 on it then fish for a 5.

Feed the letter/number/shape/colour monster-
We use a cut out of the big green monster. Scatter around some fridge magnets or just use pieces of paper with what your teaching written or drawn on. I just use the letter we are using with a few wrong ones tossed in. Then she has to quickly feed the monster the letter of his chooce. You do the monster voice, make it fun, he dosn't like incorect letters they get spat out.

letter and number puzzles-
You can buy those made of card so one side might be a picture the other a letter. Or there are number puzzles showing the number say 2, with the written number two and a picture card of that number of things.

Other games-
Any game which requires spinning/throwing up a number then counting as you move a piece. We have Incey Wincey Spider and a large sized snakes and ladders. Dinosaur Dinosaur is a favorite of my daughetrs. its played like whats the time Mr Wolf. The dinosaur calls a time and they have to take that many steps. then they get chased when the dino says its dinner time. A very tiring game lol but even my son joins in with that.

hth

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
September 14th, 2006, 04:30 PM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
With my first we just did normal basic stuff. We painted, played with cars, counted the cars, he loved to clean, play in big plastic tubs filled with rice and sand, and we just hung out.

My second BEGGED to have more! So we bought a preschool curriculum and he is learning basic phonics, shapes, colors, cutting, art, etc.

Just follow your kids lead...and it will be just what they need. Remember they are all different.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search