Spelling?

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 18th, 2006, 09:46 AM
KarateMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to KarateMom
OK, I've been around and around in my head and with my husband about having an actual spelling curriculum versus just working on "spelling through osmosis" - meaning through correcting things as she writes them, etc. etc.
I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO!!!
Here's what I've been doing - I went online and found a website that was a particular classroom teachers site (I don't know who she is, but the site is for the parents of her students) and I've copied her list of weekly words for the year. Then I print them out, introduce them to Bear on Monday, practice them Tues. thru Thurs. (write them in shaving cream, play doh, that type of thing) and then have a "quiz" on Friday. The thing is, I'm not sure if there are other things that I should be doing....

What are the advantages of having a curriculum for spelling? I think I've balked at adding another "worksheet" type of activity because we do a lot of those, but I'm afraid that I'm going to miss something important.
I NEED INSIGHT! PLEEEEASE!!!

You're never fully dressed without a SMILE!!

September 18th, 2006, 11:50 AM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think that sounds great! That is the same thing we do with a worksheet curriculum for spelling. We do 2 worksheets a week that have to do with the spelling words. They have crosswords, which word is spelled correctly...that kind of stuff.

September 18th, 2006, 12:47 PM
persephonewillow's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
we tried "spelling through osmosis" and it worked *wonderfully* for our daughter... but it was AWFUL for my son. he'd be in grade 3 if he were in public school, but he only spells at somewhere around a grade 1-2 level so we started doing worksheets for spelling/reading/writing and he is coming along in leaps and bounds! he's catching up faster than i imagined he would.

some kids have a knack for spelling/reading/writing and i think those are the ones who can learn 'by osmosis', some don't. so i guess it's really more about what works for each individual kid i say go with what works for your child
<div align="center"><span style="color:#663366">I reject your reality and substitute my own. - Adam Savage
</div>
<div align="center"></div>
September 18th, 2006, 01:15 PM
Thanks for your input! I may stick with what I'm doing then, and add some homemade worksheets with some of the things that Chelita mentioned.
Y'all are great!

September 18th, 2006, 02:42 PM
ilovemy3wikids
I say go with what works! Pesonally we are doing spelling workout A
September 18th, 2006, 06:49 PM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Jo's got the links! I love it!

September 18th, 2006, 07:03 PM
Yup, Jo's the Link Queen!! I also found a website that you can use to make your own crossword puzzles and one to make your own word searches, so that should be fun. Plus I love all the links for ideas!
I've looked at Spelling Workout and I may go to something like that next year, or even later this year if I'm still feeling too out of sorts with the way we're doing spelling now.
Thanks for all the ideas!

September 19th, 2006, 10:52 AM
choshojo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Yup, Jo's the Link Queen!! I also found a website that you can use to make your own crossword puzzles and one to make your own word searches, so that should be fun.[/b]
Do you have a link for that site? My son loves crossword puzzles & word searches... it'd be nice to have an organized way to make our own (I make them on graph paper, which is fine & dandy... but a site sounds like less work for Mama! ).

September 19th, 2006, 12:13 PM
I've got to go to my other computer and find the link but I'll come back and post it here as soon as I do! It's really great - Bear did one this morning and had such fun!

ETA: OK, here are the links:
Crossword Puzzle Creator

Word Search Creator

The only thing with the crossword puzzle creator is that it makes a very small puzzle - meaning the boxes are REALLY small - and Bear still writes pretty big. Plus it prints with advertisements on the sides. So I just cut the puzzle part out and copied it on my printer/copier at 125%, which made it plenty big enough. If that doesn't work for you, just google "make your own crossword puzzles" and I'm sure you can find one that WILL work. I like this one because it used ALL of the words that I entered instead of leaving out ones that it couln't link to other words. (It just put the un-linkable word by itself)
Hope you like it!

September 19th, 2006, 02:00 PM
choshojo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks for the links!

Now to get my printer fixed again... homeschooling has been a little harder w/o it!

September 19th, 2006, 02:24 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
September 19th, 2006, 02:34 PM
Quote:
[/b]
Gosh, and you\'re so HUMBLE, too!!

September 20th, 2006, 06:11 AM
fka teresarunningmommy
That spellorama link was pretty cool!

Here's what we are doing. We are taking the words from the kids writing assignments and using those. Any word they mispell we put on a small piece of paper. We put all the pieces of paper in a container. Every day we pull the pieces out and once they get ten tally marks on it the word comes out.

The regular curriculum was not working for me because my oldest would not apply what he learned to his actual writing.

Teresa

Check out my running blog - Wannabe Running Mama

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search