Lookin' for ideas!

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 19th, 2006, 12:17 PM
KarateMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to KarateMom
My mom and I are going to be driving to Ohio, WITH the kids, here in a couple of weeks - it's a 12 hour drive! I'm looking for innovative ways to keep a 6-year-old and a 3-year-old busy in the car for that length of time. We have a portable DVD player that we'll be taking, but I don't know that even they will want to watch movies for that long!
HELP ME! Pour out your ideas!!!!

You're never fully dressed without a SMILE!!

September 19th, 2006, 12:52 PM
Veteran
Travel Bingo : Bingo or Tic-tac-toe cards with pictures of farmhouses, fast food places. horses, cows, other animals, different vehicles van, police car, truck or signs: stop, railroad, etc... I think you get the idea. (could use colors or numbers too)

Find the abc's on license plate and billboards

or look for license plates from as many states as you can find

Keeps kids busy for hours! (you might not need the DVD player - but I'd still take it

For the older crowd figure out words using the letters on the license plates(catch: they have to stay in the
same order as on the plate)
September 19th, 2006, 01:27 PM
choshojo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I often use one of Shery's ideas: I'll buy a couple of new things and then not let my son touch them until we get in the car to go. My son loves activity books, so I usually pick up a couple of those and they tend to keep him busy for hours. Handheld games are always handy, too (no pun intended!). A dry erase board or magnet writer is also a big hit with my son as he can draw on them, write on them or make up games.

Good luck! Traveling with kids is always a challenge!

September 19th, 2006, 02:42 PM
Thanks for the tips! I think that my mom is going to go to the dollar store and pick up some new things to give them.
I heard an idea of making "Mile Marker" bags (or something like that) where you put treats in paper lunch sacks and mark them to divide up your trip - say, every 200 miles or something. That way they have something to look forward to.
Also, my uncle suggested getting a big stack of $1 bills (20 or 30) and telling the kids "If you're 'good' until ________ (town, amount of miles, etc.) you get a dollar" and then they can spend it on a souvenier or a candy bar or whatever. (That's pure bribery!! RIght up my alley!) You know little kids - a whole dollar sound like SOOO much!
I think I may tell my mom that she's in charge of things like that for the trip up and I'll take charge of things for the trip back!
Whew, I'm getting exausted ust thinking about it!

September 19th, 2006, 06:31 PM
Mega Super Mommy
maby short mad libs for your oldest or try to tell a story where each person has to only add one or two sentences. Try to bring music they like. If you can take the trip late so they are sleeping. Don't worry the 12 hours should go by fast.

September 19th, 2006, 07:50 PM
Phoenix Rising's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
You say: Open up kids I have something great for you!

*gives each of the children a spoonful of Nyquil*

*THUD*

*carries sleeping children out to car and straps them in their seat belts*

*Your mother compliments you on how quiet and well behaved the off spring are today*

*You come home and give Sherri all your chocolate for her sooper stoopendus idea for keeping the kids enterntained in the car while on such a long drive*

Mwah!

I know, I know, I am sooper smart. You can thank me later... no need to fall all over yourself darling.

ROFL! SNORT!
September 20th, 2006, 04:26 AM
Oh my goodness, myfairladies!! Why didn't I think of that!! You ARE a sooper jeenyus!!!!
*bows low to the floor in aew*

September 20th, 2006, 04:35 PM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yes!!!! I say give em something to make them sleepy! Oh what a funny post!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search