Motiviation

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 20th, 2006, 09:23 AM
LuckyGirlx4's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ok, Madison's excitment is gone, lol. At least it was today.
What do you do when they are just totally unmotivated? Anika was in the hospital yesterday and the day before for testing, so our schedule has been a bit off because of it. I'm sure this is the reason. What do I do when she starts to pout when we are reading or something? HELP!

</div>
September 20th, 2006, 01:11 PM
choshojo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
For me it would depend on how often there was a lack of excitement. My son has off days now & then, and when I can tell he's having one of those, we usually won't do much schooling that day. On those days, I almost trick him into learning by playing educational board games or letting him play a learning-based computer game, or we'll spend the day more focused on things he finds to be more fun, like music, arts & crafts or phys ed type activities.

Most days he literally begs me for more school even if we finish what I had planned for the day, but they all have off days sometimes and you can either just take a break entirely that day, or find other activities that go along with homeschooling but aren't so academically-based.

Good luck!

September 20th, 2006, 01:35 PM
KarateMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to KarateMom
Reilly is like that a lot of the time, so I know what you're dealing with!

One thing that I've found that helps is to tell her "We've got w, x, y, and z left to do, which do you want to do first?" and let her choose which activity we do next. I think that the sense of control plus knowing exactly how much she has left really helps her get over those "blahs". I've got to be careful to be very specific, though, because I've had more than one battle over me saying "We've got reading and math to do" and then her balking when she realizes that it's 2 reading worksheets, 3 math worksheets, and math flash cards or something like that. I try to tell her exactly how much she has left!

Also, if I had a dime for every time I have to say, "Babe, the longer you whine about it the longer we have to sit here!" I know that school can be fun, and I really try to do fun things, but there are some things that just have to be done and I'm trying to get her to realize that she's the one in charge of how long it takes.

I hope any of that helped!

You're never fully dressed without a SMILE!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search