does this happen to any of your kids?

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 24th, 2006, 11:43 AM
ilovemy3wikids
Hailey normally picks up on stuff really fast. Infact my dad toook her to a planetarium show last night and it was more for adults but she remembers her planets 5 constalations and about a black hole. But doing her math today she couldn't remmeber 6+6 at all. All the other facts yes, 6+6 no. SHe kept saying 20 She was laughing every time she said it. I know she knows it but some days she plays like she isn't smart. She says she wants to be dumber so people will like her I talked to her but what do you do in this kind of situation?
September 24th, 2006, 01:14 PM
LuckyGirlx4's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I will be interested in your responses. Madison does this sometimes with reading. She will not do well sounding out a word I KNOW she knows! Is she jsut trying to get my goat????

</div>
September 24th, 2006, 02:12 PM
choshojo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Corrian has days where we have serious issues with things he has known for a long time. He has never said that he's giving the wrong answers on purpose to appear "dumber" so that people will like him more, he's very proud of his advanced level, but he still has days where we struggle over simple concepts he's been over many, many times.

For us, I think he's just learning so many things right now that I think it is hard to pull up things he's known for some time once in a while. He always gets them back eventually & it happens very rarely, but it still can be very frustrating for both of us.

But for you I think it sounds different situation than ours, but still nothing serious. I think she is either testing you, having fun or may indeed be uncomfortable with how smart she is; it's never easy for a kid to be different, no matter how good of a difference we may think it is.

Good luck!

September 24th, 2006, 02:44 PM
Stellaluna's Avatar Super Mommy
I think Sam may be too young (or naive ) to know that he's ahead of his peers. I think he thinks all other kids his age must be doing and learning the things he is while they are in preschool. He's never been called out or made fun of by other kids for being smart and while adults tell him he's smart all the time it doesn't seem to affect him one way or the other. We just treat him as if what he's doing is perfectly normal, which for him, it is. Maybe in a couple of years it will be more of an issue.

<span style="font-family:Comic Sans MS">Homeschooling Mom to Sam (3-21-02)

My Photography Website

My Blog - Pollywog in a Blog</span>
September 25th, 2006, 10:52 AM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Wow...maybe this is a girl thing? I bet some of the other moms will have some advice.

Eli is just competitive. He wants to be the smartest, fastest, bestest ( ) at everything!

September 25th, 2006, 04:36 PM
Sandra314's Avatar Homeschooling Mom
Send a message via Yahoo to Sandra314
Michael can remember things about subjects he is interested in like Trains, Construction vehicles or Dinosaurs but everything else he claims is too difficult to learn.

Married for 14+ years to the love of my life. Currently TTCing.
September 26th, 2006, 12:19 PM
My son avoids ALL school related topics around his public school friends. He's been picked on more than once for knowing too much about a subject that interests him. Then sometimes at home he'll mispronounce a word several times in a row, or miscalculate in math when I know he knows the answer. I really think he's trying to find where he fits in The sad thing is, I was like that as a child, too, and can't come up with reasons why/ or what anyone could have done to change it. I would suggest that when things like that happen- don't push- just brush past it. Perhaps she KNOWS that she knows the answer but wonders how YOU will feel if she doesn't.???
September 28th, 2006, 09:23 AM
Mega Super Mommy
My son does this a lot. It's not just with school topics. He's a follower. I'm trying to get him out of that but it's hard.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search